Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Finally my Michelin Pilot Sport Tires are in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 06:23 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Mr Johnson

I'm running Michelin Pilot Sports and so far I've been pretty happy with them. I've put about 6K miles on them and they are still quiet and handle well. I had Blizzaks for the winter but I've given up on taking it out in the snow anymore.
The Pilot Sports are a great tire, I wish I had them too, but I'm the kind of guy that hates to swap between summer and winter tire and rims (maybe just lazy), so I figured that an Ultra High Performance All Season tire would do the trick and I hope it does!

If I lived in Michigan or some place that it snows a lot, I would have no hesistation in buying Winter Tires, but here in NJ, the winters seem to be very mild (Knock on Wood!) and it's like I am in that gray / middle area of not sure if I need them or not.

I do know getting stuck in a snow storm on the way home from work or something like that with summer tires is going to do no one any good!

Are you saying your Blizzaks (which Model) don't work that well for you? I think we all need a secondary 4 wheel drive car!
Old 11-12-02, 06:37 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by lexguynj

I do know getting stuck in a snow storm on the way home from work or something like that with summer tires is going to do no one any good!
Yep, that would be time for a conversation like: "Honey, can you come pick me up please?!?"

Are you saying your Blizzaks (which Model) don't work that well for you? I think we all need a secondary 4 wheel drive car!
No, No, No. I didn't mean to imply that at all. I've had great luck with my WS-50s in the snow. It's just that I've finally come to my senses with all the mods I've done and decided to only take the car out in winter if the weather is halfway decent (no snow on road or in forecast).
Old 11-13-02, 12:27 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

man i love these tires. one thing i love about them is that they last for quite a long time, not like the normal lo-pro tires that go for like 15k miles. and they handle great and ride great too!
Old 11-13-02, 04:10 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GSquicksilver
man i love these tires. one thing i love about them is that they last for quite a long time, not like the normal lo-pro tires that go for like 15k miles. and they handle great and ride great too!
GSquicksilver,

This is what I am experiencing now. Great handling (probably not as good as a summer tire still, but very good for me). The long tread lifetime was also a plus in addition to the many other features this tire has.

Good choice on your part too!
Old 11-13-02, 07:11 PM
Lexus of Manhattan
Lexus Dealership

My only nitpick is that they are a little on the noisy side..
Ed
Old 12-13-02, 06:30 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S HIGHLY recommended for all-season tire, I'm running 245/45-17. I do not agree that they are noisy - they are quieter than the stock Bridgestones. My Bridgestones whined a lot, drove me half nuts (still halfway to go to be certifiably crazy, but I'm workin' on it...). The Michelins seem to be the perfect tire for mixed weather areas. (I have Pirelli winter tires too, but I'm not using them this year, so far been OK with the Michelins.)

Nice pics, Lexguynj.
Old 12-13-02, 07:36 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Your car looks very clean.....sometimes I miss the stock look!
Old 12-13-02, 10:24 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by engin_ear
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S HIGHLY recommended for all-season tire, I'm running 245/45-17. I do not agree that they are noisy - they are quieter than the stock Bridgestones. My Bridgestones whined a lot, drove me half nuts (still halfway to go to be certifiably crazy, but I'm workin' on it...). The Michelins seem to be the perfect tire for mixed weather areas. (I have Pirelli winter tires too, but I'm not using them this year, so far been OK with the Michelins.)

Nice pics, Lexguynj.
I'd have to agree, these Michelins are quiet compared to the Stock Bridgestones and they feel sooooo smooth (most likely due to they are new). I should have made this upgrade a long time ago and thrown out those horrible Bridgestone RE030s. I still don't understand why a car manufacturers doesn't simply put on the best tires for a car that costs over $50,000.

For an Ultra Performance All Season Tire you can not go wrong with the Michelins - only issue is that they are most costly then others out there.

Thanks for the compliments too Engin_ear - I really should still get new rims!

Last edited by lexguynj; 12-13-02 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-13-02, 10:26 PM
lexguynj
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by GS400_PUSHER
Your car looks very clean.....sometimes I miss the stock look!
Thanks GS400_pusher, the stock still looks good, afterall that is what made me buy the car in the first place, but all things must come to an end and I am in desperate need for a rim upgrade.

The stock 17" rims actually are not bad at all. I just need a change to some 18s. Yours looks great!
Old 12-27-02, 06:18 AM
elclassico
Lead Lap

Default STOCK 17S

GREAT FEEDBACK, IM IN THE MARKET TO GET SOME NEW TIRES FOR MY STOCK 17S. THE STOCK LOOK IS WHAT I LIKE. 17S ARE BIG ENOUGH. SAY NO TO 16S. HAHA...NICE PICS...YOKO AVS DB ARE QUITE, BUT WEAR OUT WAY TO FAST UNDER NORMAL CONDITIONS.