Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone with Ceramic Hawk Brake Pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-12, 07:14 PM
mbeach
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I was busy having a life and didn't get back to this thread in a timely manner.

The guy's going to buy what he wants, because it's HIS money.

Get bigger wheels, get wider tires, you're going to want bigger brakes. period.

There's a guy on another thread who just molded in his Wald spoiler. Would you like to drop in a spend an hour or two telling him how it provides no downforce at street speeds and is essentially a waste of money and a creator of drag?

So, if you'll excuse me, I have to go rip the bolsters off my front seats, because I don't really need them after all.
Old 06-01-12, 09:15 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mbeach
Sorry, I was busy having a life and didn't get back to this thread in a timely manner.

The guy's going to buy what he wants, because it's HIS money.

Get bigger wheels, get wider tires, you're going to want bigger brakes. period.

There's a guy on another thread who just molded in his Wald spoiler. Would you like to drop in a spend an hour or two telling him how it provides no downforce at street speeds and is essentially a waste of money and a creator of drag?

So, if you'll excuse me, I have to go rip the bolsters off my front seats, because I don't really need them after all.

I just wanted to correct your misunderstanding that it was doing anything other than for looks, by explaining the relevant physics and providing plenty of sources to back it up.

(and I've had to explain this about brakes to enough people it doesn't take an hour or two, it's about 2 minutes of cut and paste from the last 20 guys who thought big brakes did anything useful on a street car )

Once you're clear on the lack of practical gain (and potential drawbacks) If you wanna drop a bunch of your own money for purely cosmetic mods, even functionally inferior ones like say drilled rotors, knock yourself out.... it's your money.

Or in the case of the OP, if he wants to put slotted rotors on even though they'll eat his pads 25% faster to no benefit outside a race track well maybe the pad eating is worth the looks to him, so more power to him, it's his money.

Ditto anyone else wanting to put a mod on the car of limited (or no) practical value, it's their money.

But I do try and help insure folks are making educated decisions when spending it.

Last edited by Kurtz; 06-01-12 at 09:27 PM.
Old 06-06-12, 01:59 PM
albatros83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtz
But I do try and help insure folks are making educated decisions when spending it.
Thanks for that!