Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Just installed F-Sport springs on 19" Got a question though.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-12, 10:06 PM
KeleIS250
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed F-Sport springs on 19" Got a question though.

I was just wondering, if these springs will settle down more? I heard that they will go down .2 inches once they have "Broken in". Just wondering because I hope I don't start rubbing once I go lower. I already have a minor rub on bumps and on full load.

Here's some pics:
If you seen these pictures already, sorry these are the only ones I have as of right now.

Thanks

By keleis250 at 2012-05-28

By keleis250 at 2012-05-27

By keleis250 at 2012-05-27
Old 05-28-12, 10:44 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah if they are brand new springs they will settle, I'd give it about a week and see if it made any difference. I'm assuming the fronts are rubbing on the fender liner?
Old 05-28-12, 11:25 PM
KeleIS250
Driver

Originally Posted by mex lex
Yeah if they are brand new springs they will settle, I'd give it about a week and see if it made any difference. I'm assuming the fronts are rubbing on the fender liner?
Yeah, buts its not that bad actually. It doesn't make a mark on the tire of on the fender liner. Once It does though I will push it in.
Old 05-29-12, 01:42 PM
mex lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KeleIS250
Yeah, buts its not that bad actually. It doesn't make a mark on the tire of on the fender liner. Once It does though I will push it in.
Yeah I would just make sure the front wheels are straight as possible when you are going over bumps, going up driveways, etc. Eventually the liner will just wear away where the tire rubs it and it will stop rubbing.
Old 05-29-12, 04:26 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

despite it being a common myth, properly installed springs do not "settle"... they're solid metal, what could possibly be settling in the spring? Eibach even addresses this in their FAQ-

Originally Posted by Eibach
When Eibach suspension springs are fitted, will the car sit at the correct ride height or will it need time to settle?

All Eibach suspension coils are pre-set to eliminate settling and increase life expectancy.
did you reset the bushings? If not they'll deform a bit which some folks will confuse as the springs settling.

How to do the bushings here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5811432-post8.html
Old 05-29-12, 06:07 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^
I don't know. My stock IS suspension did settle. It went lower by it's own about .2 inches a few month after I bought it (brand new).....Spring usually settles and so do the rubber bushings. They have what we called cyclic load fatigue characteristic that, after a certain period of load cycles, they just deformed or compressed or distorted or whatever. And it will affect the vehicle ride height.

Last edited by SCWB; 05-29-12 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Spelling edit
Old 05-29-12, 06:38 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SCWB
^^
I don't know. My stock IS suspension did settle. It went lower by it's own about .2 inches a few month after I bought it (brand new).....Spring usually settles and so do the rubber bushings. They have what we called cyclic load fatigue characteristic that, after a certain period of load cycles, they just deformed or compressed or distorted or whatever. And it will affect the vehicle ride height.
Again- the rubber bushings can deflect, especially if you don't reset them properly when doing the install.

The springs can't.

Here's Lance telling folks the same thing-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4713653-post50.html

The lexus service manual says the same, as mentioned here:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3715907-post4.html

See also:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5126724-post21.html

or

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5126746-post22.html

Here's Eaton who makes coil springs-
Originally Posted by Eaton
Correctly manufactured springs, both leaf and coil, are shot peened which removes stresses in the metal which occurs during the heat-treating process. The life of the spring is not only increased because of shot peening, the spring will not continue to take "a set" once it is installed.
Regarding deformation-
http://www.howeverythingworks.org/page1.php?QNum=1438

Metals that bend only temporarily and return to their original shape when freed from stress are experiencing elastic deformation. Their sheets of atoms aren't sliding about and they can easily spring back to normal when the stresses go away. Naturally, springs are made from materials that experience only elastic deformation in normal circumstances. Hardened metals such as spring steel are designed and heat-treated so that the atomic sliding processes, known technically as "slip," are inhibited. When you bend them and let go, they bounce back to their original shapes.
Some of the math behind springs-
http://curricula2.mit.edu/pivot/book...l?acode=0x0200

They even use a vehicle coil spring in one of their examples.

In short though a properly made coil spring should be elastic, and return to its original height, unless it's pushed beyond its limits (which it sure shouldn't be in anything resembling normal driving)

When you have the car in the air and don't have weight on the springs, then lower the car to put weight on them, you'll get a very small change.

But that change doesn't take long.

I mean like after a couple miles of driving (or just letting it sit on the weight for a few minutes).

After that the suspension height shouldn't be changing further due to springs "settling"

That's Hookes law... which governs steel springs...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooke%27s_law

Steel exhibits linear-elastic behavior in most engineering applications; Hooke's law is valid for it throughout its elastic range
Notice how they specify it behaves that way in application, not just in textbooks.

You should only experience non-elastic deformation if you exceed the yield strength of the material.

Regarding elasticity-
A material is said to be ELASTIC if, when deformed by an applied force, it returns to its original shape when the force is removed. There are many familiar examples of this, such as a steel springs

RESILIENT materials are those that can absorb large stresses before they deform plastically. Coil springs are examples of this.

So while there is likely some range of physical stress you could subject a steel coil spring to that will cause plastic deformation, it should (on a quality spring) be well beyond the normal stress you would put on it in street driving.

hence the notion of "just drive it for a week or two to let it settle" is nonsensical... the only permanent change you would ever see would be if you pushed the spring well beyond its intended limits.

and if none of that is good enough I just quoted you directly from the people who make the F-sport springs (eibach) explaining they don't settle.

Last edited by Kurtz; 05-29-12 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-29-12, 09:16 PM
topspeed55
Driver

That's lowered on F-Sports? No way mine are much lower than yours in the front. I have 19's too and the fronts have almost no wheel gap and the rears looks the same. Did you reset/preload your bushings?
Old 05-29-12, 09:39 PM
Dr3wSaL
Driver

^OP has awd.. I'm assuming you have a rwd?
Old 05-30-12, 05:54 PM
Silver10
Lexus Test Driver

Looks better then 4X4 but still looks like a stock RWD now.... CV1's FTW
Old 05-31-12, 09:41 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Originally Posted by Dr3wSaL
^OP has awd.. I'm assuming you have a rwd?
Oh ok makes sense now, didn't notice he had AWD. Yes, I have RWD and there is barely a finger gap in the front but the the rears looks similar.
Old 05-31-12, 11:15 PM
Dr3wSaL
Driver

Originally Posted by topspeed55
Oh ok makes sense now, didn't notice he had AWD. Yes, I have RWD and there is barely a finger gap in the front but the the rears looks similar.
Haha OP is also a SHE