Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need help from the Brake Pro's!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-12, 06:39 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Need help from the Brake Pro's!

So I have a 06 is250 and I just got my 50k service done at Longo Lexus. They said that my brake pads have about 30% left and that is causing more frequent squeaking. They charged me 588$ to replace the front pads ( If you need pictures i'll show you the quotes) and even Jimmy told me to go aftermarket. So here's the catch. I wanted to brakes that look more sporty, like the ones with slots and holes but I do not know which would work on my car. I also wanted to get bigger brakes such as is350's so is there any way that I can get that? I do not have the money to spend on StopTech BBK's (I know they are the cheapest ones) so please keep in mind on the recommendations if you can! Thanks a lot.
Old 06-08-12, 08:52 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PlacidBoi
So I have a 06 is250 and I just got my 50k service done at Longo Lexus. They said that my brake pads have about 30% left and that is causing more frequent squeaking. They charged me 588$ to replace the front pads ( If you need pictures i'll show you the quotes) and even Jimmy told me to go aftermarket. So here's the catch. I wanted to brakes that look more sporty, like the ones with slots and holes but I do not know which would work on my car. I also wanted to get bigger brakes such as is350's so is there any way that I can get that? I do not have the money to spend on StopTech BBK's (I know they are the cheapest ones) so please keep in mind on the recommendations if you can! Thanks a lot.
Uh... new front pads on a 250 are $55
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2006/1885.html

I imagine $588 they're replacing the rotors too (which you almost certainly don't need and are only $190 anyway)

Anyway, Sewell sells a kit to put 350 brakes on a 250-
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...-2008-265.html

$948.68.... so up to you if a purely cosmetic upgrade is worth the extra ~$900 in parts (plus whatever you'll pay in labor at a local shop since I assume you're not swapping the whole kit yourself)

You might can find some chinese knockoff BBK cheaper but I don't know one off hand.

Also be aware slotted (good for track, not so much for street) and drilled (crap in all cases) will either one eat through your pads about 25% faster than blank rotors will.
Old 06-10-12, 09:10 PM
BF350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a few members here had done is350 front BBK conversion. i think that might be the cheapest way to go and u get quality
Old 06-10-12, 10:41 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Well they only the front conversion?
Old 06-10-12, 11:36 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

you don't really need to upgrade the rear, since most of the weight hangs over the front axles anyways.
Old 06-11-12, 06:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

In street use you don't really need to upgrade the front either, since they don't stop the car any shorter than the stock brakes do

But the OP said he wanted to do it for looks, in which case front and rear both probably makes more sense... I imagine Sewell will sell you the stuff to do both if you contact em, the fronts were just the ones easy to find on the website to show a link.
Old 06-11-12, 09:08 AM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

so from my understanding after all that was explained, these are no good
http://ebcrotors.com/p-223-ebc-sport-rotors.aspx
and what good are bbk's for if they don't have better performance! haha
How does this set up sound?
http://ebcrotors.com/p-221-ebc-yello...rake-pads.aspx
http://ebcrotors.com/p-222-ebc-stock...nt-rotors.aspx
Old 06-11-12, 09:35 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

so from my understanding after all that was explained, these are no good
http://ebcrotors.com/p-223-ebc-sport-rotors.aspx

Well, for a street car they'll be inferior to blanks, as they'll wear pads out faster, and be more prone to the rotors developing cracks around those useless drilled holes.

and what good are bbk's for if they don't have better performance! haha]
On a street car?

Looks.

That's it.

On the track they offer a number of benefits, but none have to do with stopping the car shorter the first time than the stock brakes could.

Mainly they have to do with stopping the car in the same distance when making your 10th stop from 125 mph without letting the brakes cool off in between.... something that won't ever happen in street use.

For a detailed explaination of what each part of the braking system does and what upgrading it can, and can't, do for you I recommend this article:

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html

Sounds like you'll be getting a lot of brake dust to no real benefit compared to the OEM low dust pads... probably won't last as long as the OEM ones either.

But they'll probably be better if you take the car on a racetrack.

Regarding the rotors the price on the site you link to seems pretty high for the 350... (they get $185 PER ROTOR for front IS350 rotors for example- Sewell gets $197 for a pair of em.... and they'll perform identically.

(and centric premium rotors should work the same as well and be cheaper than either)

But in stock IS250 size, Sewell gets $190 for a pair of OEM 250 front rotors... your site wants about $55/each, so that's fine and again they should work just like stock since they claim to be OEM replacements

Old 06-11-12, 10:34 AM
MIA_LEX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you are handy you should be able to do the front 350 brake up grade for less than 500....no point in doint the rear its a .5 inch bigger than 250 brakes pm CL member Aliga... he can get you 350 calipers for cheap... Then get some slotted and drilled rotors off ebay.
Old 06-11-12, 01:00 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Thanks so much for the kind responses and help fellow members! You guys surely are the best
I'll be looking into purchasing them in a month or two!
Thanks Mia_lex. I will definitely do that
Old 06-11-12, 01:23 PM
PlacidBoi
Lead Lap

Sorry for the double post but I just noticed my calipers are different than those of fellow CL members! I do not know how to explain it but comparing pictures, my calipers seem to he missing the cover cuz it's not flat like others where they can paint and decal stuff on them
I'm in class so I can't upload pics but I will definitely tonight