Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Aligment issue, cant seem to find the problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 10:52 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aligment issue, cant seem to find the problem.

I have a little issue that I cant figure out and it is frustrating the hellllll out of me.
I'll try to explain it in the simplest terms,

After installing my 19" volks, my steering wheel is no longer straight......

Meaning I am having to hold my steering wheel a little more to the left in order for the car to go straight. This is weird to me. See with normal aligment being out of specs, Ive usually found that the car simply pulls to one side, but the steering wheel is still centered. In this case, i'll repeat, when my car is going straight, my steering wheel isn't.

Is it possible that my coilover height adjustments are off on the front wheels? Maybe one side of the front is higher than the other??

At this point I really need some advice, I feel like my tires wont last more than another month if this continues.

update the volk wheels were properly inspected at a shop and they are true without bends.
Old 06-14-12, 11:53 AM
SJ408sgmIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get an aligment done after installing your coilovers and rims?
Old 06-14-12, 01:03 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i would double-check each corner to make sure that each axle is the same set height.
Old 06-14-12, 01:44 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I've had this problem for months. Happened after I hit a good sized pothole. Since I had just gotten an alignment from Lexus within the month, I went back complaining that the alignment is off. Well, they showed me the updated chart where they show no issues. I've double-checked lug nuts, suspension height (BCRs), suspension hardware (bolts/nuts/etc), wheels/tires, even created this thread for ideas ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xus-visit.html ) here on CL. But no dice. I'm now forced to maintain a slight counter-clockwise pressure on the wheel to maintain straightness on the road. No fun!
Old 06-15-12, 08:37 AM
birador
Lead Lap

how about your tires?
Old 06-15-12, 08:47 AM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the sub frame/geometry is out and needs to be adjusted most likely as it will affect alignment. Need a shop which specializes in this with alignments to correct this.

Normal alignment specs, the car mainly goes straight and follows the road crowns as intended.
Old 06-15-12, 08:50 AM
Gotpancit
Driver School Candidate

When this happened to me on another car, they said it was my tires. It's a hassle but if you bought non staggered wheels, try swapping the tires from the front rims to the rear. Something about the tire ply making one of the tires roll different than the others.
Old 06-15-12, 10:36 AM
skottydznt
Pole Position

i just posted a thread in 2is similiar to this problem on my car. cant seem to figure it out and i might just take a trip to speeak with the head tech at my local dealership
Old 06-15-12, 11:16 AM
steezy
Lexus Test Driver

Im no pro at this but could it possibly be because of misaligned toe? and wider tires/rims?
Old 06-15-12, 11:34 AM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what kind of tires are you on? May be a defective tires cause when I first installed my hankooks.. I also had your issues
Old 06-15-12, 01:54 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go get an alignment.
Old 06-15-12, 09:44 PM
azndriver
Driver

aside from alignment...read the description from this bushing product by figs engineering:

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=105
Old 06-16-12, 07:18 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SJ408sgmIS
Did you get an aligment done after installing your coilovers and rims?
Originally Posted by projectdna
i would double-check each corner to make sure that each axle is the same set height.
Gonna have to do this, I have a feeling its a big contributor. Unlike Gville who's car takes 5 seconds to switch lanes if he lets go the wheel. In 5 seconds mine is already on the other side of the highway

Originally Posted by Gville350
I've had this problem for months. Happened after I hit a good sized pothole. Since I had just gotten an alignment from Lexus within the month, I went back complaining that the alignment is off. Well, they showed me the updated chart where they show no issues. I've double-checked lug nuts, suspension height (BCRs), suspension hardware (bolts/nuts/etc), wheels/tires, even created this thread for ideas ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...xus-visit.html ) here on CL. But no dice. I'm now forced to maintain a slight counter-clockwise pressure on the wheel to maintain straightness on the road. No fun!
Great info gville thanks alot, I HATE it. Feel like I am driving a damn honda.
I wish mine was even close to yours, in 5 seconds I am on a different road!!

Originally Posted by birador
how about your tires?
Originally Posted by mong
what kind of tires are you on? May be a defective tires cause when I first installed my hankooks.. I also had your issues

Continenal Contisportcontact2 on the rears and Federals on the front.. Its weird, and it bugs me because when I install my Fsport stocks it goes away. I dont want to run the fsports!

Originally Posted by Sango
Sounds like the sub frame/geometry is out and needs to be adjusted most likely as it will affect alignment. Need a shop which specializes in this with alignments to correct this.

Normal alignment specs, the car mainly goes straight and follows the road crowns as intended.

Thanks will look into this, does it mean I have structural damage?

Originally Posted by Gotpancit
When this happened to me on another car, they said it was my tires. It's a hassle but if you bought non staggered wheels, try swapping the tires from the front rims to the rear. Something about the tire ply making one of the tires roll different than the others.
Their staggered

Originally Posted by skottydznt
i just posted a thread in 2is similiar to this problem on my car. cant seem to figure it out and i might just take a trip to speeak with the head tech at my local dealership
Let me know how it goes man thanks

Originally Posted by steezy
Im no pro at this but could it possibly be because of misaligned toe? and wider tires/rims?
Are we able to adjust toe on our cars? could be but I know alot of people who run 9 and 10.5 wide rims and dont suffer this issue.

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Go get an alignment.
Not a normal aligment issue. A misaligned car only means pulling to one side, not a steering wheel having to be held counterclockwise.

Originally Posted by azndriver
aside from alignment...read the description from this bushing product by figs engineering:

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=105
thanks
Old 06-16-12, 07:32 AM
Vroomin350
Lexus Champion

I will jot down the steps I take.
I will update this thread with results for every step I complete, we need to find a solution to this.

1. Measure height at all four corners and make adjustments if needed.
2. Alignment.
3. Take to dealership and have suspension components throughly inspected.
4. Install Fsports, maybe we can isolate the issue to my volks/19's/wider wheels/tires
Old 06-16-12, 07:50 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Wish you luck bro cuz this will give me hope of a fix yet...short of putting on stock suspension. Boo!

Quick Reply: Aligment issue, cant seem to find the problem.