Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Few questions about BBK

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-12 | 03:15 PM
- V -
Instructor

Default Few questions about BBK

Hey guys and gals

got a few questions regarding a Brake upgrade that i plan on doing very soon. I was originally going for a set of TT calipers but realized that its too much money for me right now. I will be getting the LS400 brakes for the front and i have a few questions.

1st. Once i put my LS400 brakes on the front, do i absolutely have to upgrade the rears to a 2 piston instead of one? From what i understand the only calipers that are bolt on in the back are the Supra TT which are again, too much money for me. Would i be able to get away with stock calipers on the back. If so, for how long and what would be issues that i may run into. I don't go to tracks or anything like that, this is just for daily driving.

2nd. Rotors/Pads. I know this kind of thread has been posted before but my question is about the sound. I currently have some aftermarket pads and rotors on my car and they squeak........a lot. It is very irritating. My question is are there any aftermakret rotors and pads that i can get without having them squeal or would i have to go with OEM. From what i understand the sound comes from the Pads not the rotors. if that's the case then i am considering getting the R1 Concept rotors and OEM pads. If someone has a better combination for a similar price please do let me know.

Those are my main concerns before i pull the trigger.

IF there is another thread about this that i may have missed while searching please tell me so i can try and find it, but i have been researching for a month now, been through every page of every thread i could find and those are the last bits of information that i need before i start this little project.

Thanks all
Old 07-21-12 | 09:53 AM
- V -
Instructor

Nobody knows?
Old 07-21-12 | 10:36 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by vteruni
Hey guys and gals

got a few questions regarding a Brake upgrade that i plan on doing very soon. I was originally going for a set of TT calipers but realized that its too much money for me right now. I will be getting the LS400 brakes for the front and i have a few questions.

1st. Once i put my LS400 brakes on the front, do i absolutely have to upgrade the rears to a 2 piston instead of one? From what i understand the only calipers that are bolt on in the back are the Supra TT which are again, too much money for me. Would i be able to get away with stock calipers on the back. If so, for how long and what would be issues that i may run into. I don't go to tracks or anything like that, this is just for daily driving.

2nd. Rotors/Pads. I know this kind of thread has been posted before but my question is about the sound. I currently have some aftermarket pads and rotors on my car and they squeak........a lot. It is very irritating. My question is are there any aftermakret rotors and pads that i can get without having them squeal or would i have to go with OEM. From what i understand the sound comes from the Pads not the rotors. if that's the case then i am considering getting the R1 Concept rotors and OEM pads. If someone has a better combination for a similar price please do let me know.

Those are my main concerns before i pull the trigger.

IF there is another thread about this that i may have missed while searching please tell me so i can try and find it, but i have been researching for a month now, been through every page of every thread i could find and those are the last bits of information that i need before i start this little project.

Thanks all
1: stock rears are good with LS400 setup for street use. just change over to a good pad and rotor combo.

2: go with a good ceramic pad, low noise, and low dust.
Old 07-21-12 | 11:13 AM
- V -
Instructor

ok great, I plan on putting R1 Concept eline slotted on front and back. Would that be good enough or is there a specific one you had in mind.

I appreciate the help.
Old 07-21-12 | 11:52 AM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

Slotted is preferred over drilled due to increased strength/integrity of the rotor under stress..I would get the zinc coated package so the center of the rotor do not rust. Would be displeasing aesthetically...

Keep in mind that you do not need to upgrade the rears or get an aggressive track compound pad unless you are going competitive road racing...
Old 07-21-12 | 12:10 PM
- V -
Instructor

That is exactly why I'm not getting the drilled option. I would love to get the premium package but 250 for rotors is too much for me right now. This is all mainly because my wheels cost 900 + tires. Thanks for the info guys. If there are any more suggestions I'm open to them.
Old 07-21-12 | 01:12 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

I just ordered powerslot rotors last night for my ls400 upgrade. I got both for $161 shipped. They have the same black coating as the centric premiums that i have on the rear and they haven't corroded in a year.
Old 07-21-12 | 02:14 PM
- V -
Instructor

So what you are saying is that there really is no point to getting the coated once right? Since they are gonna corrode anyway.
Old 07-22-12 | 10:58 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

I'm suggesting you buy the PowerSlots since you wanted slotted, it's only $40 more than the R1 Concepts Elines, and they're coated. And you wont get any ugly rust behind your wheel.
Old 07-22-12 | 01:17 PM
- V -
Instructor

Check out the PowerSlots. Thanks for telling me about them. Will definitely be getting those instead along with posi quiet ceramic pads. Now i just need to find a place that sells them both so i dont have to pay shipping twice.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-25-12 | 06:32 PM
gouin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vteruni
Check out the PowerSlots. Thanks for telling me about them. Will definitely be getting those instead along with posi quiet ceramic pads. Now i just need to find a place that sells them both so i dont have to pay shipping twice.

Thanks for the info!
If you haven't already purchased rotors, don't spend the extra for slotted rotors. Plain replacement LS400 rotors work great. I have had all types of rotors over the years on different cars, slotted, slotted and dimpled, slotted and drilled, drilled the difference is nominal if any on a street car. The biggest improvements from experience come from pads, stainless steel brake lines, and big brake kits. Spend the money on good pads. Just my opinion from years of trial and error on cars ranging from 100hp to over 400hp.
Old 07-25-12 | 07:32 PM
- V -
Instructor

I figured it wouldnt make much difference. The main reason im getting them is because i like the looks. I know it sounds kinda tacky but ive been wanting those for a while and i figured for extra 30 bucs total why the hell not. its not like i get these every month. with the amount i drive these will probably last me a few years. I do appreciate the input though. Im going to try out the posi quiet pads to see how they preform, ive read alot of good reviews on them. if i dont like them ill look for something else when they run out. I do want something low noise and relatively long lasting. low dust is good but i wash my car once every few weeks so it really wont make much difference.
Old 08-04-12 | 06:18 PM
moosejaw2
Pole Position

I just bought the rear supra bbk this weekend at my auto parts store
just under 5s tacks
Going to tackle it tmmrw.