Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How to fix brake dust on IS 250?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 12:39 PM
spinz0r
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix brake dust on IS 250?

I have 2007 is 250 with the 5 spoked rims and the brake dust is god awful..I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix? thanks
Old 07-23-12, 12:41 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spinz0r
I have 2007 is 250 with the 5 spoked rims and the brake dust is god awful..I was wondering if there was anything I could do to fix? thanks
Lexus has had a TSIB for years now that would replace the pads with low-dust ones for free under warranty.

Bad news is you're not in warranty anymore.

Good news you can do it yourself and the pads aren't that much

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...2007/1885.html

select the low dust ones. Be sure to create an account using your club lexus screen name for discounted pricing.
Old 07-23-12, 12:41 PM
minato
Pole Position

I know for sure if you get the low dust pads it reduces brake dust
Old 07-23-12, 04:07 PM
Strika
Driver School Candidate

i just put in ceramic brakes its an easy fix hope this helps
Old 07-23-12, 07:22 PM
spinz0r
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a ton guys!
Old 07-23-12, 09:20 PM
ISCrazy
Driver School Candidate

I need this too, I have polished rims and the fronts are getting black accents. I did pull the calipers to paint and was almost shocked to see how easy it was to service the pads. Not sure why any of us wouldn't do it ourselves quite honestly (unless you're too lazy to jack up the car).
Old 07-23-12, 10:48 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or try Armour All Wheel Protectant:

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...?product_id=33

This stuff is legit, I can vouch for it. You can drive two weeks with minimal brake dust on your wheels. Another great thing is it repels road grime as well. Two birds, one stone, and it's cheap. Don't believe me, search up some youtube videos.
Old 07-24-12, 07:21 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by topspeed55
Or try Armour All Wheel Protectant:

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...?product_id=33

This stuff is legit, I can vouch for it. You can drive two weeks with minimal brake dust on your wheels. Another great thing is it repels road grime as well. Two birds, one stone, and it's cheap. Don't believe me, search up some youtube videos.
+1, cheap and easy to use

only item by armor all i'd say is worth it
Old 07-25-12, 02:05 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

I don't really see that spraying down the wheels every few weeks with chemicals is "easier" than actually fixing the problem with low-dust pads, but YMMV I suppose
Old 07-25-12, 03:41 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would removing the dust shields help in reducing the brake dust build up?
Old 07-26-12, 11:16 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
I don't really see that spraying down the wheels every few weeks with chemicals is "easier" than actually fixing the problem with low-dust pads, but YMMV I suppose
Who said it was easier? I believe what was said was "easy to use". I don't feel like changing out my perfectly good pads that only have 12K miles on them when they can last another 18K at least. For now, I'm just gonna use the AA stuff and have superior braking performance, while still have little to no brake dust on my wheels. Until I NEED new pads, then I will get the low-dust pads.

Originally Posted by JDKane527
Would removing the dust shields help in reducing the brake dust build up?
Probably not. The dust shield are there to protect the inner disc from road dust and water, so not a good idea.
Old 07-31-12, 10:07 AM
carl1989
Rookie

Default brake dust

Hey spinz0r,

I spoke to one of the guys at lexus and they told me that the earlier stock breakpads tend to have a lot of dust. they told me they now offer OEM pads that give off less dust. An alternative is to replace it with ceramic breakpads which offer less dust. I have these ceramics for my car.

Carl1989

Last edited by carl1989; 07-31-12 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-31-12, 11:19 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by topspeed55
Who said it was easier? I believe what was said was "easy to use". I don't feel like changing out my perfectly good pads that only have 12K miles on them when they can last another 18K at least. For now, I'm just gonna use the AA stuff and have superior braking performance, while still have little to no brake dust on my wheels. Until I NEED new pads, then I will get the low-dust pads.

If you wanna use up the life of your pads you won't get the TSIB ones for free, which is why that's not a great plan for those still under warranty...(if you somehow only have 12k miles on the old high dust pads yet are still out of warranty then by all means, use-up away)

But superior braking performance?

Under what conditions did you test that?

because in any sort of normal use they stop the car in exactly the same distance the low-dust pads do... since the brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.
Old 08-02-12, 02:40 PM
RocketGuy3
Lexus Test Driver

Do the low dust pads even stop the car any worthwhile amount worse under race track conditions with repeated heavy braking?
Old 08-03-12, 07:08 PM
topspeed55
Driver

Originally Posted by Kurtz
If you wanna use up the life of your pads you won't get the TSIB ones for free, which is why that's not a great plan for those still under warranty...(if you somehow only have 12k miles on the old high dust pads yet are still out of warranty then by all means, use-up away)

But superior braking performance?

Under what conditions did you test that?

because in any sort of normal use they stop the car in exactly the same distance the low-dust pads do... since the brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.
I'm in Canada, and my dealership says they don't change the pads out to the low dust ones unless they are being replaced under warranty for defective pads. Not sure if I believe that but that's what the deal was when I called.

Brake pads that dusts more are generally considered higher performance pads, the trade off of making a low dust pad is the decrease in initial bite, especially when cold, and overall braking power given the same applied pedal pressure, and increased rotor wear.

Last edited by topspeed55; 08-04-12 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: How to fix brake dust on IS 250?