Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear break options (LS400 front)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-12, 02:18 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup to what Brian has said. His responses have been quite accurate, the Supra front brakes fit the front, but rears do not. Also TRD does NOT offer a rear BBK for the GS.

The rear brake bias is a concern if not balanced out with the front caliper size as well as factoring in the front / rear tire size combo. 99% of the people will be good with a rear pad / rotor upgrade.

From a cosmetic side, well you can paint the stock calipers and add nice rotors, or get some plastic fake brembo covers, otherwise to DO IT RIGHT, purchase a Supra TT 4 corner BBK kit from AP Racing or Brembo and then have custom brackets made to adapt the rear brakes to the GS.

This is what I did here:

Old 08-15-12, 02:33 PM
V8KLLA
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So Supra TT rears are not an upgrade??
Old 08-15-12, 02:53 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Yup to what Brian has said. His responses have been quite accurate, the Supra front brakes fit the front, but rears do not. Also TRD does NOT offer a rear BBK for the GS.

The rear brake bias is a concern if not balanced out with the front caliper size as well as factoring in the front / rear tire size combo. 99% of the people will be good with a rear pad / rotor upgrade.

From a cosmetic side, well you can paint the stock calipers and add nice rotors, or get some plastic fake brembo covers, otherwise to DO IT RIGHT, purchase a Supra TT 4 corner BBK kit from AP Racing or Brembo and then have custom brackets made to adapt the rear brakes to the GS.

the only current GS made rear BBK i know of know that isnt one off custom is a kit from www.revolutionbrake.com its a wilwood kit, member ****-adk has one but as Glen said if you dont have a front BBK DONT get a rear BBK as your braking will be so over biased to the rears.

i tried to get stoptech to make me a custom rear BBK to match my front stoptech ST40 Brake Kit, i even spoke on the phone to one of the VP's but without enough interest there is no turn around for them so it was no dice. i even tried to get them to make me a bracket to adapt a ST-22 and i couldnt get that done

as glen and i have both said if you upgrade the rear rotors/lines/pads that should be adequate for 99% of all the members, hell right now thats all i have in the rear (but not for long)

Originally Posted by V8KLLA
So Supra TT rears are not an upgrade??
the supra rears dont fit without a custom bracket and no they arent
Old 08-15-12, 05:31 PM
RMMGS4

Brian, my bud actually had a stop tech 4 corner bbk on his GS. Totally badass looking. He's lucky they released that prototype to him but as you know they decided not to go to market with it.

Also I actually pulled all my measurement calculations off of his BBK in order to help me to build my brackets for the APRacing BBK..
Old 08-15-12, 07:29 PM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sakataj

the supra rears dont fit without a custom bracket and no they arent
actually brian i think the supra rear brakes(if they did fit) would be an upgrade, i have a set here, and the rotors are deff bigger on a supra, its still the same number of pistons, but looking at the physical size they are bigger... when i get time im going to try and make a bracket to fit the rears and will take a pic to show size diff
Old 08-15-12, 07:58 PM
V8KLLA
Driver

Originally Posted by sinistervr
actually brian i think the supra rear brakes(if they did fit) would be an upgrade, i have a set here, and the rotors are deff bigger on a supra, its still the same number of pistons, but looking at the physical size they are bigger... when i get time im going to try and make a bracket to fit the rears and will take a pic to show size diff
Please post this up, im going to pick up a GS soon and i have a LS400/SupraTT brake setup just sitting here, i was hoping to use it!
Old 08-15-12, 08:28 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Brian, my bud actually had a stop tech 4 corner bbk on his GS. Totally badass looking. He's lucky they released that prototype to him but as you know they decided not to go to market with it.

Also I actually pulled all my measurement calculations off of his BBK in order to help me to build my brackets for the APRacing BBK..
interesting, do you know what rear caliper he was using? i wonder if i could utilize those measurements if you still have them to design a ST-22 kit?

but they dont fit without making a bracket and thats one of the hardest part and from memory the calipers are still 2 pot calipers so although the rotor maybe bigger the caliper is still just a 2 pot setup
Old 08-15-12, 08:54 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by sakataj
interesting, do you know what rear caliper he was using? i wonder if i could utilize those measurements if you still have them to design a ST-22 kit?

but they dont fit without making a bracket and thats one of the hardest part and from memory the calipers are still 2 pot calipers so although the rotor maybe bigger the caliper is still just a 2 pot setup
They were the same calipers as the fronts but they had smaller pistons inside. Still was overkill for the application. Stop tech went to a smaller caliper on another iteration. Basically I used their dimensions to physically verify clearances but the mounts and rotor spacing were different than mine. So no I didn't keep any measurements but you probably wouldn't be able to source those calipers since they were prototypes.

As for adapting the supra rears the bolt spacing is about 1 inch narrower on the GS than the Supra. I was going to fab a bracket but the clearances were tight and it was more trouble than it was worth. It was a lot easier to design the bracket for aftermarket bbk because they are already two piece by design. The OEM Supras are not, so you are actually not making a "replacement" bracket, you are making an adapter to fit something that was never designed to fit. Whoever can make a bracket is going need a machinist or be a machinist, plus have some fab skills. The bracket would also need to be threaded and if you are making it in aluminum, you should have steel threaded inserts to prevent galling and stripping out the threads under heavy breaking and hi temperatures. This is not a job you can do with hand tools in your garage.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-15-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 11:14 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Ok ......

http://www.upgarage.com/upgarage/gaz...53004202s2.jpg

http://www.upgarage.com/upgarage/gaz...53004202s1.jpg

Last edited by 2GSC300; 08-15-12 at 11:23 PM.
Old 08-15-12, 11:20 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Fronts.....

http://www.upgarage.com/upgarage/gaz...53009985s1.jpg

http://www.upgarage.com/upgarage/gaz...53009985s0.jpg
Old 08-16-12, 07:24 AM
RMMGS4

These are STOCK Supra front brakes with a TRD logo on them. Not sure why you posted these pics, since the discussion is about rear brakes?
Old 08-16-12, 07:30 AM
RMMGS4

Hmmm. Ok front brakes from TRD, but we're looking for rear brakes.

Not sure what your point is???
Old 08-16-12, 09:19 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

They were the same calipers as the fronts but they had smaller pistons inside. Still was overkill for the application. Stop tech went to a smaller caliper on another iteration. Basically I used their dimensions to physically verify clearances but the mounts and rotor spacing were different than mine. So no I didn't keep any measurements but you probably wouldn't be able to source those calipers since they were prototypes.
i was gonna source some used ST-22's from a evo or wrx (whoever uses stoptech factory) and try and mount them but i needed a bracket made

Hmmm. Ok front brakes from TRD, but we're looking for rear brakes.

Not sure what your point is???
im not sure he knows
Old 08-16-12, 10:15 AM
sinistervr
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually veilsidegs was selling a supra brake kit with a bracket to fit the rear supra calipers on a gs. I asked for a pic but never saw one. I did however see a company in Japan that also sells a bracket to fit the caliper.

Brian- although a supra rear caliper is a 2 piston like the gs, those pistons might be bigger, that combined with the larger rotor are what would make it a good upgrade
Old 08-16-12, 07:50 PM
RMMGS4

Actually veilsidegs was selling a supra brake kit with a bracket to fit the rear supra calipers on a gs. I asked for a pic but never saw one. I did however see a company in Japan that also sells a bracket to fit the caliper.
I do recall seeing this, but I never really saw it readily available or how to find it.

Brian- although a supra rear caliper is a 2 piston like the gs, those pistons might be bigger, that combined with the larger rotor are what would make it a good upgrade
Yes you are correct. Bigger pistons and larger rear rotor.

A full Supra F/R combo with upgraded pads and SS lines would be a great bang for the buck set up for the GS. We just need to find these adaptor brackets or someone needs to make some.

Quick Reply: Rear break options (LS400 front)