Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cut springs vs. Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 01:28 PM
KickItOut
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut springs vs. Lowering Springs

as a temporary solution to my "lifted" SC300 I was looking at some cheaper options to coilovers to get some better fitment. Anybody have any suggestions or opinions on cut springs or lowering springs. Preferably from a member who has used one of these setups.
Old 08-10-12, 01:45 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KickItOut
as a temporary solution to my "lifted" SC300 I was looking at some cheaper options to coilovers to get some better fitment. Anybody have any suggestions or opinions on cut springs or lowering springs. Preferably from a member who has used one of these setups.
Cutting springs is not the greatest idea, but it is the least expensive to do if you are doing all the work yourself.

Depending on how low you want to go and the quality of ride you want there are a lot of options for springs to drop your ride.

As far as experience, I saw what happened when my son cut his spring. Damage to his suspension and steering components in a few months time.

It turned into a very expensive modification for him in the long run.

Good Luck on lowering your ride!
Old 08-10-12, 01:54 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Id rather ride stock than even be a passenger sitting on cut springs... They look ridiculous bouncing around from going over a simple manhole cover. Buy new springs
Old 08-11-12, 04:21 AM
LameSC300
Pole Position

DON'T DO IT.

just get some new springs, or even a set of Megan ez streets for your cheap option coils
Old 08-11-12, 08:49 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This not a Honda so cutting springs should not even be an option at all! Very unsafe,...
Old 08-11-12, 09:25 AM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

As you can see the general feed back is don't cut the springs, so now lets try to find you a solution. How much is your budget for parts? Are you going to install the springs or have them done?
Old 08-11-12, 12:12 PM
KickItOut
Driver School Candidate

i will install it all myself, my budget is probably 500-1000. it really all depends on how much i save over the next month or two. and to all who replied, thanks for the help and honest answers
Old 08-11-12, 03:33 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Torch 'em!
Old 08-11-12, 04:44 PM
wickedsc3
Driver

You can pick up some cheaper coilovers from ebay in the price range your are talking, which while not being great are 100x's better than cutting springs. Also you can pick up some Megans, BC's, and I think Tein Basic's which use your stock top mounts all for around 1000. Good luck.
Old 08-11-12, 07:20 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Default Many Possibilities

i will install it all myself, my budget is probably 500-1000. it really all depends on how much i save over the next month or two. and to all who replied, thanks for the help and honest answers
I have seen plenty of lowering springs in club Lexus SC400/300 classifieds in the 3-4 hundred dollar range, so your budget is very doable for some really nice lowering springs or even a complete set of strut/shock/spring all together. Here is one for a mild drop and nice OEM ride:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...4-kyb-gr2.html

Full on coil overs:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...coilovers.html

I am not endorsing either one of these, but as you can see, it is within your budget range.

Hit search button, then advanced search, then type in: lowering springs, then select the SC400/300 classifieds, and you can buy these off of another member.

AGAIN, I AM NOT ENDORSING OR VOUCHING FOR ANYONE OR ANYTHING ON THIS FORUM TO YOU.

just my opinion and trying to help.

Good Luck on your project
Old 08-11-12, 10:07 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

im in the same boat, to be quite frank i just dont want to spend the money on coilovers, im gona go with lowering spings i think and I think thats the best way to keep the stock feel and 'ride' quality and still get lower.

on a side note though i really dont think cutting 2 inches off your springs is all that big a deal, especialy if its temporary.
Old 08-11-12, 10:14 PM
MikeFoxx
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have h&r springs with kyb gr-2 shocks ... Absolutely love the setup but i have 20" if u have smaller u'll want springs with more drop.
Old 08-11-12, 10:48 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Vossen cut the springs on the new 4GS initially and they reported back with near OEM ride soo...
Old 08-12-12, 12:47 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That budget is enough for a coilover. You can use Megan, Tein, and some others that are made for Supra 93-98. Somewhere from $600 and up can get use a basic coilover. That'll be much better than springs and shocks together. Don't bother cutting springs. I did that before, and it's not worth it.
Old 08-13-12, 10:14 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get a good coilover kit for under $1k, shoot me a PM and I can help you with that.

But DO NOT cut springs, such a bad idea....

Quick Reply: Cut springs vs. Lowering Springs