Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Yet another new BC owner with clunking

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-12, 05:22 AM
MamadIS
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yet another new BC owner with clunking

Summary of my post: if you had this issue and fixed it please let me know what you did.

Hey guys, i know this has been discussed before but in none of those threads i saw a fix for this issue. I bought these recently and had them installed by a shop about two weeks ago. the first couple of days everything was good but then i started to hear a clunking noise coming from the rear passenger side. it is interesting cause in every single thread i read the noise is coming from the same wheel !!!!!!! some people say just drive and ignore it but its impossible to ignore it, its just very annoying. Did anyone figure out a way to get rid of the clunking noise? there were few people who replaced the shock but still had the same problem so i am guessing its something else. if you had this issue and fixed it please let me know what you did.
Old 08-14-12, 06:43 AM
laobo979
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Did you try to get the rubber pillow mount that they provide? It suppose stop some of the clunking somewhat.
Old 08-14-12, 01:02 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

What did the shop set the spring pre-load at? If you didn't tell them, they probably installed them out of the box just as-is. There is probably your problem. Reset the preload per this video and then report back.

Was your set with the rubber or pillowball mounts?
Old 08-14-12, 01:39 PM
MamadIS
Driver

I will ask them to do that this saturday. when you reset, what is the reset value? 3mm?
Originally Posted by Gville350
What did the shop set the spring pre-load at? If you didn't tell them, they probably installed them out of the box just as-is. There is probably your problem. Reset the preload per this video and then report back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlqOA35NmAw

Was your set with the rubber or pillowball mounts?
Old 08-14-12, 01:47 PM
juvi22003
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had that same problem with my megan, it was very annoying and i couldn't get rid of it....
Old 08-15-12, 04:18 PM
Gville350

Originally Posted by MamadIS
I will ask them to do that this saturday. when you reset, what is the reset value? 3mm?
Watch the video, they tell you. Something like 3 or 4 widths of the spanner wrenches.
Old 08-16-12, 02:54 AM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

I think the noise is inherited in the design of coilover.
Old 08-16-12, 06:29 AM
MamadIS
Driver

I dont think so cause its coming from one wheel only the rest dont make any noise. i've checked for loose bolts but they're all super tight. i'll wait to see what my mechanic can do on saturday cause i have no idea why its making a clunking noise.
Originally Posted by SCWB
I think the noise is inherited in the design of coilover.
Old 08-17-12, 05:56 AM
mikellucci
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

This is rather discouraging considering all the hype these coils have been getting for the "best middle ground coilover at $1k." Good luck, keep us updated!
Old 08-18-12, 08:07 PM
MamadIS
Driver

here is an update:

i took my car to the shop where i got these coils installed. they checked everything and reset the preload and all seems tight but the clunk its still there. so they have no idea why there is a clunking noise. a shock could be bad but i just don't get how a brand new shock can go bad this fast. they ride good but this clunking noise is driving me nuts. I dont know what to do at this point. i should have bought a japanese brand of coils . after spending god knows how long to convince my wife for coils and saved up my money, i get this . now she is pissed too cause she cant tolerate the clunking noise. i'm gonna contact BC and see what they can do.
Old 08-18-12, 09:36 PM
Gville350

I feel sorry for your issue, but there are MANY owners out there without this issue...including myself. As a last resort try swapping an entire coilover unit from one side to the other and see if the noise follows the coilover. If it does, you should have a case with BCR in getting a replacement I would think.

GL!
Old 08-20-12, 09:07 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The proper way to set preload on a coilover-

-Loosen both lock rings under the spring (spring seat ring(top) and spring lock ring(bottom)) so that the spring is loose and can move up and down slightly.

-Tighten up the spring seat ring so that the spring is snug, but do not tighten it down past simply holding the spring snug, this will be "0" preload.

-Now bring the bottom lock ring up so that it is just touching the spring seat ring, but do not tighten to lock, you will be moving the spring seat ring next.

-Now tighten up the spring seat ring so that you are now preloading (compressing) the spring.

-Measure the distance between the bottom ring and the top ring as you are tightening, once there is a 3mm gap between the two rings, you have 3mm of preload on the spring.

-Tighten up the lock ring to lock your preload in place

-Repeat for all 4 corners.

You also want to check and make sure the top 17mm center nut is tight, it's best to check it with an impact gun if you have access to one, a wuick hit is all it should need. A few other areas to check are the lower mounting bolts, the 4 allen bolts that adjust camber, and the 4 lock bolts underneath the pillowball bearing, make sure all of these are tight.

Sometimes noise can come from somehwere else, endlinks, swaybars, and chassis contact can all be problems. Make sure now that the car is lowered and stiffer that you don't have exhaust contact anywhere. These are all common noise issues.
Old 08-22-12, 06:37 PM
600rr05
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
I feel sorry for your issue, but there are MANY owners out there without this issue...including myself. As a last resort try swapping an entire coilover unit from one side to the other and see if the noise follows the coilover. If it does, you should have a case with BCR in getting a replacement I would think.

GL!
This is the only thing I Haven't tried .
Old 08-31-12, 01:14 PM
Laid_Out
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates?
Old 09-06-12, 09:15 AM
flexthatdx
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you per-load correctly when the coilovers arrive?

Quick Reply: Yet another new BC owner with clunking