Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

anyone deal with groundcontrol coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-02, 09:55 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone deal with groundcontrol coilovers?

I was just wondering if ground control coilovers are as bad as people really say they are. Why do they say they are bad anyways? Ive seen them on the MKIV supra and the guy said that they were pretty good.

Any thoughts?

Kevin
Old 11-19-02, 10:32 PM
Grimpy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had ground controls on my accord... After awhile, they started uncoiling by themselves. Then my car became lopsided and I would go through the trouble of raising them back up so they would be even.
Old 11-19-02, 11:57 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

lexcoupe,

They are not horrible. But not the proper way to lower your car. They are pseudo coilovers. What they do is use a standard shock and mount a linear (not progressive) cheaply made spring in it. The coilover part adjusts the spring height however, the threading sleeve is not welded, or bolted to the shock. Therefore, if you hit a large swail on the road, or cross a railroad track too fast accidently, the spring will unseat and likely not land correctly.

This can result in the spring exerting the pressure at a nasty angle that caves in the strut housing. Or. ... It could damage the upper control arm.. Or.... It could just snap and go thru your fender.

Even when they work perfectly, the strut travel is changed and limited by the bad design.

I had a few of these on other cars and needed the guys at Groundcontrol to constantly work on it. They are only 10 miles from my house so it isn't bad. However, I still do not suggest this method.

MW
Old 11-20-02, 08:50 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I've used GC coil-over adaptors in the past w/ eibach springs on other cars. If you buy the conversion kit; it HAS to be welded in place, or else....exactly what pcmw said will happen. If installed right, it will do exactly what it is supposed to, but nothing beats a true coilover for smoothness.

Keith

P.S. - They are not that good for street use BTW
Old 11-20-02, 02:23 PM
carnal_c30
Lexus Test Driver

the company itself has pretty good service, they have always been prompt and fair with me, even tossing in free stuff when I have a problem

BUT, like pcmw said, its not a true coilover design, its more of an adjustable spring- not as good as spings, but more adaptable

I had them on my Maxima, and honestly I wouldnt buy them again- I had way too many clunking and banging noises, not to mention the suspension always bottoming out!!!
Old 11-20-02, 03:06 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

alright so TEIN it is. I was just looking for a cheaper way to lower my car and still have the adjustability that i like. but i was trying to sabe myself some money.

You get what you pay for i geuss.

kevin
Old 11-20-02, 04:58 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

Kevin,

My friend has a set of groundcontrols for sale I sent you a pm about them.

-Steve