Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

some pics of my car after the brake install

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 01:18 PM
JacobT

Rominl,

Your allignment should be way off with the drop. Did you get negative camber on all 4 corners? The drop looks excellent but with the trade-offs of uneven tire wears:eek:
Old 11-20-02, 03:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

well, actually it's NOT that bad. i have the tein HA, and 1 finger gap all around. my rears are ALL within spec, no problem at all, the tire wear is perfect. the front though, everything is good except camber, where i got negative camber. but still, it's like 1 degree off, so it's not as bad as i thought. i got more tire wear on the inside but it's not serious, specially if i put in a bit more pressure on the front tires.

and wait, if i am right there is no camber kit for our front right? if there is one by all means tell me, i would get them for sure

oh and for the record, i tried to raise the car back up by 1/2" to a bit more than 2 fingers gap. the camber is still off by 1/2 to almost 1 degree. so since i figured it's off anyway, why not make it look better
Old 11-20-02, 03:33 PM
JacobT

That's exactly what I thought. There is NO camber kit for GS
1.5-2.0" of drop is the max you can do with GS w/o getting the negative camber.

Rominl, you're absolutely right, I'd go for that dope looking and stop worrying about the minor tire wear.

I went with another route, increasing the total diameter to decrease the wheel well gap
Old 11-20-02, 03:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

seriously i wonder why no one bothers to make camber kits for our car, i just don't see the reason coz' our camber is quite sensative and there are tons of people dropping the car. with a more aggressive springs setup your camber would be off already, so....

so anything more than 1.5" will have negative camber? well that's good, so i dont' ahve to worry anymore, i have at least 3" drop already, so i can live with the 1 degree off. and yeah, go ahead and drop the car more, trust me it won't make things any worse, as long as you do alignment quick

actually i have been thinking about the route you doing. obviously i don't have the money for 20", but i am thinking about getting a higher profile tires, so 245/40/19 and 275/35/19 instead of 245/35/19 and 275/30/19. it would be just like your 20" in diameter, so i can raise the car back up a bit, and the ride would be a lot more comfortable. but then the handling would be worse... any ideas? how much worse would the ride be if i get that high profile tires?

Originally posted by JacobT
That's exactly what I thought. There is NO camber kit for GS
1.5-2.0" of drop is the max you can do with GS w/o getting the negative camber.

Rominl, you're absolutely right, I'd go for that dope looking and stop worrying about the minor tire wear.

I went with another route, increasing the total diameter to decrease the wheel well gap
Old 11-20-02, 03:51 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Nice looking brakes and wheels there!

I heard that everyone in the GB, at the point I bought, had AV3 wheels and bought the full kit! Looks very nice on your car.

Re: Camber

The negative camber will help in the handling department. Take a look at most BMW cars and you'll be able to visually see how much more negative (to the negative) camber they run straight from the factory. Part of the reason for the nice handling, IMHO.
Old 11-20-02, 04:06 PM
JacobT

245/40/19 and 275/35/19 are still low profile tires. You will not notice any handling difference. But those sizes are a little hard to find. Check under your wheel well, if your front tire is tuck under the joint of upper control arm, you're out of luck. Increase the diameter in this case will hit the upper control arm. If your current setup, the front tire is offset to the upper control arm then 1" of diameter increase is feasible. I'd say +39 offset or less will bring your tire away from the control arm.

I used to run -2.5 camber on my M3, YES, the handling is way better at corners. But 8k miles for each set of tires is a little bit too much
Old 11-20-02, 04:22 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo Henry, Nice setup. You sponsored by Impex now. Did they do the brake install? Next time you are in LA, please let me know, I would like to see you new brakes and try them out if I could. Thanks.
Old 11-20-02, 04:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Mr Johnson
Nice looking brakes and wheels there!

I heard that everyone in the GB, at the point I bought, had AV3 wheels and bought the full kit! Looks very nice on your car.

Re: Camber

The negative camber will help in the handling department. Take a look at most BMW cars and you'll be able to visually see how much more negative (to the negative) camber they run straight from the factory. Part of the reason for the nice handling, IMHO.
wait, i know i have av3, and gwu has av3. you are running av3 too?!?!?! that's something i didn't know!!!! haha.... anyway, it's awesome, where's yor pics?

yeah, actually if you look at the spec, the stock wheels on our gs are also a bit negative camber, specially at the back. but it's not as serious as bimmers. if you sit behind a 540i or the m5, you would be amazed
Old 11-20-02, 04:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by JacobT
245/40/19 and 275/35/19 are still low profile tires. You will not notice any handling difference. But those sizes are a little hard to find. Check under your wheel well, if your front tire is tuck under the joint of upper control arm, you're out of luck. Increase the diameter in this case will hit the upper control arm. If your current setup, the front tire is offset to the upper control arm then 1" of diameter increase is feasible. I'd say +39 offset or less will bring your tire away from the control arm.

I used to run -2.5 camber on my M3, YES, the handling is way better at corners. But 8k miles for each set of tires is a little bit too much
oh, then i better check my control arms soon then. the offset on my wheels are either +39 or +44, anyone? mr johnson, what's the offset on your av3, if that's what you have now?

8k miles that's a bit too less! i am sure the tires on my car has been for more than 15k
Old 11-20-02, 04:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by mcgong
Yo Henry, Nice setup. You sponsored by Impex now. Did they do the brake install? Next time you are in LA, please let me know, I would like to see you new brakes and try them out if I could. Thanks.
nonono, they dont' sponsor me, i paid for everything on my car just that i figured i need to put something on my car before taking pics coz' the licence plate was off. since they helped on my tein and also a lot on my acura i would definitely give them a lift

yup, will let you know when i am down there and have time
Old 11-20-02, 05:03 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Looks great rominl! I bet the pictures don't really do your car justice. You would think that as long as the AV3's have been out they would look tired, and maybe the do on other cars, but not the GS! Just classy...
Old 11-20-02, 05:23 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by rominl

wait, i know i have av3, and gwu has av3. you are running av3 too?!?!?! that's something i didn't know!!!! haha.... anyway, it's awesome, where's yor pics?

LOL. Yeah, I'm running those tired old wheels too.

Pics are going to have to wait for the weekend. I was out of town last weekend and too many other things going on during the week to get any pictures.

BTW: Did you pull your old Stillen stickers off before putting the new ones on?

yeah, actually if you look at the spec, the stock wheels on our gs are also a bit negative camber, specially at the back. but it's not as serious as bimmers. if you sit behind a 540i or the m5, you would be amazed
I know! There's an M5 that parks quite close to me in our lot and there used to be a Z3 and it was very obvious.
Old 11-20-02, 05:26 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Originally posted by rominl

oh, then i better check my control arms soon then. the offset on my wheels are either +39 or +44, anyone? mr johnson, what's the offset on your av3, if that's what you have now?
I have the 18" wheels and they only come with clearance for big brakes with a +45 offset. I believe you all have the 19" wheels and the "official" big brake offset would be +39 but I suppose a +44 might fit. I don't know for sure because I'm pretty sure I've got more than 5mm clearance between rims and caliper that you say you have.
Old 11-20-02, 05:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

hahaa, av3 all the way then, it's classic i have to say yeah, have you ordered the yellow sticker? don't get the impression that they are sticker, they are actually METAL strip with ap racing on them, very solid stuff. even the stillen sticker is metal too. just use a tiny flat head screwdriver and you will be able to pull out the stillen sticker, very easy. then clean the area and put on the yellow ones

i have a feeling that mine is a big disc setup too, so iguess mine is +39. it's stupid coz' at the back of the spokes it says 19 and then the width and offset are all missing.... guess they were stickers... darn... and it's hard to measure too...
Old 11-20-02, 07:51 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

rominl: what kind of rims are those?

those rims getin more and more popular..

Quick Reply: some pics of my car after the brake install