Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

my ap racing 6 piston big brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 03:25 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Mariusz
Very nice So, from what you are saying the initital bite has improved. Have you had a chance to do some consecutive higher speed braking to see how the abs reacts and if there is any fade? (Probably won't be, but I'm just curious). Also, I understand you probably would need a little different pads. Once again, very clean install.
well since my brakes are not totally broken in yet so i haven't done any insane braking. but i can tell you, i was in the car when todd tesst drove and broke in the brakes, the overall braking has been improved. when we test drove the car abs still kicked in at the right time when the wheels started to lock up or startd to skid, pretty much the same with my stock brakes (i did some testing with my stock setup before i changed the brakes).

the initial bite is definitely a lot better. now i dont have push the brake too hard before i can feel the brakes kicking in, and when i first got the brakes, i forgot about it and couple of times i braked like normal and let's just say that i was lucky the seat belt was on. but i can assure you with the race pads it's just going to be a lot better.

and fade, nop not a single bit. in fact we did over 20 times 70-10 hard braking for the test drive, and it just grips harder and harder, stopping distance was getting shorter and it didn't fade at all. and yes it was all smoking after all the runs, you could really see smoke. the rotors were red hot, and you could smell everything about it. so you know it's good

well i don't really go to track that often, so that's why i didn't get race pads coz' i want it to last longer. after these pads i would see if endless has any replacement. i really wanna try them on.
Old 11-20-02, 03:26 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by redgs4
Wow! Looks great Henry [I am so envious ]! Now to see them in person -- we need another lunch time get together before the holidays.
sure thing redgs4, why don't you be the organizer this time we still got a week to go before i go down to LA next wed. and be ware, i might keep the car there for a while
Old 11-20-02, 03:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by KevGS4
Yes, me too!! I like to see that HUGE dish!!
yeah it's huge, and heavy. you don't want to carry that thing around in hands... i tried
Old 11-20-02, 05:28 PM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: my ap racing 6 piston big brake upgrade

Originally posted by rominl

for the record, the supra tt spare tire WILL fit on the big brakes no problem i have tried. now i just need to find one. anyone, please!!!!!!!

So I guess this means that your AV3's are setup for big brakes?
Old 11-20-02, 05:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: my ap racing 6 piston big brake upgrade

Originally posted by mumbles

So I guess this means that your AV3's are setup for big brakes?
it's definitely a high disk setup already, just that i wasn't sure about the offset. does this mean i have +39?? any charts for me to check? i bought the rims used so....
Old 11-21-02, 04:15 PM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very very nice...if not for me putting my $$$ in speak stuff, I too would have gotten the AP brakes...but I guess I'll have to settle with the Supra TT ones.
Old 11-23-02, 03:07 PM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Re: my ap racing 6 piston big brake upgrade

it's definitely a high disk setup already, just that i wasn't sure about the offset. does this mean i have +39?? any charts for me to check? i bought the rims used so....
wow, the things that can be had with a job and money.

the offset is engraved in the back side of the rims next to diameter and width, something like "18JJ 8.5 45" with the offset stamped usually on an embossed chunk of rim
Old 11-23-02, 05:55 PM
gsbill
Driver School Candidate

Smile

I've just started to get my brakes broken in but I can certainly say these things STOP!! I've tried a couple of 100-0 stops and it just stops-no drama-no noise-just stops right NOW! When the brakes were bled, they felt kind of mushy. There is none of that feeling when stopping on the road. I get none of the vibration or noise from the high speed stops that I had with the stock setup. TM engineering did the install along with a L-sportline suspension. Todd did a great job. He has earned his good reputation with the Clublexus guys
Old 11-23-02, 06:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: my ap racing 6 piston big brake upgrade

Originally posted by bravo261

wow, the things that can be had with a job and money.

the offset is engraved in the back side of the rims next to diameter and width, something like "18JJ 8.5 45" with the offset stamped usually on an embossed chunk of rim
that's the thing, i have 19jj, but nothing afterwards. i mean there are already space for the numbers but they are ust not engraved. maybe.... sticker?
Old 11-23-02, 06:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by gsbill
I've just started to get my brakes broken in but I can certainly say these things STOP!! I've tried a couple of 100-0 stops and it just stops-no drama-no noise-just stops right NOW! When the brakes were bled, they felt kind of mushy. There is none of that feeling when stopping on the road. I get none of the vibration or noise from the high speed stops that I had with the stock setup. TM engineering did the install along with a L-sportline suspension. Todd did a great job. He has earned his good reputation with the Clublexus guys
yup, he's definitely the man on lexus parts. so do you have the street pads or the race pads?
Old 11-24-02, 12:00 AM
see_fu
Pole Position

These big brakes seem to get bettera nd better the more i use them!! My warping issue is almost completely gone.
Old 11-24-02, 01:12 AM
see_fu
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: my ap racing 6 piston big brake upgrade

that's the thing, i have 19jj, but nothing afterwards. i mean there are already space for the numbers but they are ust not engraved. maybe.... sticker?
all volks should have a sticker that says the diameter, width, and offset. it should even tell u the date that the rims were manufactured.
Old 11-24-02, 01:29 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: my ap racing 6 piston big brake upgrade

Originally posted by see_fu

all volks should have a sticker that says the diameter, width, and offset. it should even tell u the date that the rims were manufactured.
And if you get that sticker wet it starts to peel and fall off like a cheap piece of *)*$# it is. What were they thinking?!?
Old 11-24-02, 01:52 AM
see_fu
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: my ap racing 6 piston big brake upgrade

Originally posted by Mr Johnson

And if you get that sticker wet it starts to peel and fall off like a cheap piece of *)*$# it is. What were they thinking?!?
mine are still on. they hold really good. It would seem wierd if all 4 were missing though.
Old 11-24-02, 03:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by see_fu
These big brakes seem to get bettera nd better the more i use them!! My warping issue is almost completely gone.
hey that's good to hear man!!!

Quick Reply: my ap racing 6 piston big brake upgrade