Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Vibration Finally Gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 07:14 PM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration Finally Gone

My GS430 has 109k and the suspension was making some serious cracking and creaking noises. I also had some annoying vibration at highway speeds. I initially purchased new lower ball joints, and upper/lower ROCA control arm bushings. But buyings those parts almost costs the same as just buying all new arms and ball joints. This is the kit I purchased off of ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200754115886...ht_2243wt_1054

II was a little worried that the quality of the parts would be suspect, but I was pleasantly surprised when the package arrived. My friend is a mechanic at an Acura dealership (he did the install) and he told me that the parts I received are the same that his dealership sells.

All parts were installed and the car was realigned. All vibration is gone at high way speeds.....BUT.....there are still some creaks coming from the front suspension. I am a little annoyed....What else do I need to replace?

The creaking comes when I am braking and cornering at slower speeds.

The car does feel much better since the parts were installed though.....I just want to eliminate the all creaking.
Old 08-20-12, 10:12 PM
GS430s
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you look at your struts?
Old 08-21-12, 04:01 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

I just sent you a PM from another thread as I didn't realize you posted here.

Anyway, it looks like you replaced all the major items in your front end so it's puzzling as to why you still have creaking.

If we assume that all your replaced parts are good with no defects, then that doesn't leave much else that can be replaced.

Your inner tie rods won't creak. Your steering rack bushings are also unlikely to creak. It's possible that the struts aren't in the best shape, but again, it shouldn't creak.

I'd make sure you have all your front brake caliper clips just to be safe as missing these can make some pretty disconcerting noises that can be mistaken for a suspension issue.

I am honestly beside myself at how common front suspension problems are on our cars. I've owned many cars in my lifetime, most much much cheaper than a GS430, and none of those cars seemed to have anything close to the front end epidemic that our cars have.

Subscribing...
Old 08-21-12, 04:10 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This kit is missing caster arms, and this is whats creaking. Also, don't expect these aftermarket parts to last much more than one year.
Old 08-21-12, 04:53 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Och
This kit is missing caster arms, and this is whats creaking. Also, don't expect these aftermarket parts to last much more than one year.
It looks like you are right and I failed to notice that the first time around.
Old 08-21-12, 06:19 PM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Och
Where can I purchase castor arms? I beg to differ on the parts....my mechanic was very impressed at the quality and its the same brand that his Acura dealer sells to customers...Chevy Chase Acura in Bethesda, MD. What is advertised on the ebay page is not what arrived.

Will I need to get another alignment if I replace castor arms?

What exactly is the castor arm.....is it just a bushings or is it a full piece like a control arm.....we did use two of the ROCA bushings....my mechanic was calling them compliance bushings.

Last edited by AnimalB; 08-21-12 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 06:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AnimalB
Where can I purchase castor arms? I beg to differ on the parts....my mechanic was very impressed at the quality and its the same brand that his Acura dealer sells to customers...Chevy Chase Acura in Bethesda, MD. What is advertised on the ebay page is not what arrived.

Will I need to get another alignment if I replace castor arms?

What exactly is the castor arm.....is it just a bushings or is it a full piece like a control arm.....we did use two of the ROCA bushings....my mechanic was calling them compliance bushings.
Caster arm is the second part of lower control arm. If you replaced the bushing in it, then its fine, the bushing is the only part that wears out in it. And no, you don't need an alignment if you replace the caster arm.

Aftermarket suspension parts never last very long. Like I said, expect them to be shot in a year.
Old 08-21-12, 08:37 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

You have two options.

You can replace the whole arm. These run about $111 each from Sewell (and cheaper on eBay if you are willing to take a chance with an aftermarket part)

Or you can buy replacement bushings from ROCA or TRD and have a machine shop press them in.

It's debatable whether or not you will need an alignment. That will depend on how shot your current bushings are. A beat up caster bushing can throw off alignment and chew up tires.

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 10-14-12 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-25-12, 08:48 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lemom=lime=lexus=clunking/creaking/squeeking

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
I just sent you a PM from another thread as I didn't realize you posted here.

Anyway, it looks like you replaced all the major items in your front end so it's puzzling as to why you still have creaking.

If we assume that all your replaced parts are good with no defects, then that doesn't leave much else that can be replaced.

Your inner tie rods won't creak. Your steering rack bushings are also unlikely to creak. It's possible that the struts aren't in the best shape, but again, it shouldn't creak.

I'd make sure you have all your front brake caliper clips just to be safe as missing these can make some pretty disconcerting noises that can be mistaken for a suspension issue.

I am honestly beside myself at how common front suspension problems are on our cars. I've owned many cars in my lifetime, most much much cheaper than a GS430, and none of those cars seemed to have anything close to the front end epidemic that our cars have.

Subscribing...
Did I missed anything else?
Old 08-27-12, 09:24 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by GS714
Did I missed anything else?
Not sure I am following you.
Old 08-27-12, 05:28 PM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
Not sure I am following you.
Yeah...not following you at all
Old 09-26-12, 07:30 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

How is this kit holding up... Thinking about a refresh but i'm pricing out parts from Moog...