Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2001 GS430 Front Suspension Refresh

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-12, 07:38 PM
GS714
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, apparently Toyoto's engineer did not idiot prove. Or they may subcontracted out like US companies. If these car was design and assembled in Japan, that should gave us some clue where Toyoto/Lexus QC/QA is heading.

Last edited by GS714; 12-23-12 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-23-12, 09:06 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 2GSKaizen
Ive got an 05 GS430, (mine has 35k miles) and i've got the same issue over large bumps... Just some phantom clunks that don't sound to menacing. I've had this car in the air and inspected the suspension myself, the guys at the dealership have inspected it, and just like you, they said nothing is standing out, and they didn't want to chase the problem.
That's interesting and surprising considering your low mileage... As I mentioned above, I have reasonable confidence that this is related to the sway bar somehow. And it may not be the bushings but rather the mounts themselves. I'll verify this soon. I doubt it's related to the lower control arm.

and when braking hard, and going from reverse to drive.
If you are getting a "clink" sound when going from forward to reverse (or vice-versa), this is 100% related to the brake clips. I had this exact problem. When I got the wheels off, I noticed that the previous owner did no install brake clips in the rear brakes. I installed the clips and it solved it.

Originally Posted by sam12345
Are you guys sure the clunk is not when you apply the brakes?
My clunk happens with or without the brake being applied so I am fairly sure it's not the brakes. I also had the front and rear brakes replaced and it made no difference.
Old 12-23-12, 10:28 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaLex
That's interesting and surprising considering your low mileage... As I mentioned above, I have reasonable confidence that this is related to the sway bar somehow. And it may not be the bushings but rather the mounts themselves. I'll verify this soon. I doubt it's related to the lower control arm.

If you are getting a "clink" sound when going from forward to reverse (or vice-versa), this is 100% related to the brake clips. I had this exact problem. When I got the wheels off, I noticed that the previous owner did no install brake clips in the rear brakes. I installed the clips and it solved it.

My clunk happens with or without the brake being applied so I am fairly sure it's not the brakes. I also had the front and rear brakes replaced and it made no difference.
Make sure they put the brake clips (springs) as I mentioned. If the fingers are in the incorrect side you will get a clunk even if clips are installed. At least this way you verified one less thing that could be the cause
Old 12-23-12, 10:40 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

A if someone did a brake job and put the spring in the wrong end (the metal springs that keep the pads from vibrating, you will hear a clunk sometimes when your brakes are applied. The spring that has the extra finger goes in such a way that it pushes the pad in the same direction that the tire rotates when it goes forward (counterclockwise)
I wish I could visualize this. I was under the impression that they can only go on one way.

Any chance you have a picture or an illustration?
Old 12-24-12, 05:26 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

The clip on the left (the one he calls number 1 ( there should be two clips that look like that one for the inner pad and one for the outer pad) you put that clip in the clockwise position as you are looking at the pad mounted. This way the pad is pushed counterclockwise, then when you apply the brake the pad will try to move counterclockwise but it will be against something solid (the other clip with no finger in the rotational direction). If the clip with the finger is in the opposite position then the spring finger wil create a gap so every time you apply the brake it may clunk. While you are in there you should clean and grease the pins that the mechanism slides on so you get even pad wear

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ientation.html

Here is the PDF notice the difference between the pad support plates (clips) put them in the position this PDF shows

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...components.pdf

Also notice the pins in the PDF clean and grease them. If the bushing is worn on the pin replace them

After looking at the attachment again clip 2 in that picture (second from left) is the other clip with the finger for the inner pad

Also if you have no clips or the fingers are busted every time you hit a bump with the brakes not applied you may get a noise (possibly)

Last edited by sam12345; 12-24-12 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-24-12, 05:56 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Check this thread out also

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...t-end-pop.html
Old 12-24-12, 08:43 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ sam12345
That's good to know about those pad springs. I haven't looked yet, mostly because I think my car is still on it's 1st set of brakes that came from the factory. So I'm assuming they were installed correctly upon initial assembly of the car. I hope to Assume this doesn't make an *** out of U and Me. It's really cold, and the noise doesn't sound that bad so I'm going to wait till spring when i replace the brakes to check it out. My clunking sounds like a much deeper / lower tone than I would expect a slightly shifting pad to make though, but car noises have surprised me before so I'm not going to rule it out by any means.
Old 12-24-12, 09:03 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@ BayAreaLex
I was thinking it might be the sways too, but the links seem to be tight. I also had this clunk with stock rubber sway bushings, and now after installing poly's in front and rear. I would also, without a doubt, call it a clunk. It is nowhere near high pitched enough to call it a click. I did some more experimenting, and I found it does it about 95% of the time when i start it cold in the morning, first back up out of my driveway with the wheel turned to the left, and it happens the second I hit the brakes and feel them grab slowing me down while in reverse. Once I drive the car and it's warmed up, it is impossible to replicate the sound. No amount of hard braking in drive or reverse, switching from reverse to drive to reverse or any kind of stress I can attempt to put on this cars front end will make it happen again once it's warm. That's why I'm not stressing out about it.
Old 12-24-12, 10:06 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

I even heard on this forums bad motor mounts can make a clunk or shock mounts but I still think its your brakes

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...r-is-cold.html

Last edited by sam12345; 12-24-12 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-26-12, 05:40 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

@ BayAreaLex
I was thinking it might be the sways too, but the links seem to be tight. I also had this clunk with stock rubber sway bushings, and now after installing poly's in front and rear. I would also, without a doubt, call it a clunk. It is nowhere near high pitched enough to call it a click. I did some more experimenting, and I found it does it about 95% of the time when i start it cold in the morning, first back up out of my driveway with the wheel turned to the left, and it happens the second I hit the brakes and feel them grab slowing me down while in reverse. Once I drive the car and it's warmed up, it is impossible to replicate the sound. No amount of hard braking in drive or reverse, switching from reverse to drive to reverse or any kind of stress I can attempt to put on this cars front end will make it happen again once it's warm. That's why I'm not stressing out about it.
Interesting. We seem to have slightly different problems because my clunk occurs at low speed over uneven surfaces (broken roads) whether I am on the brakes or not. If I hit the brakes while I go over those uneven surfaces, it's ever so slightly worse.

I really don't know what to think anymore about this. I'll focus on the sway bar and verify that those brake clips are right. After that the only things remaining are the upper/lower control arms and motor mounts. Everything else has been replaced.

The only other clue is that if I am above 30-40mph, no matter how jacked up the road is, I can never hear any clunk what so ever...

Sam, if I took a pic of my calipers from several angles, do you think you could tell me if the springs are on correctly?
Old 12-26-12, 06:58 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Interesting. We seem to have slightly different problems because my clunk occurs at low speed over uneven surfaces (broken roads) whether I am on the brakes or not. If I hit the brakes while I go over those uneven surfaces, it's ever so slightly worse.

I really don't know what to think anymore about this. I'll focus on the sway bar and verify that those brake clips are right. After that the only things remaining are the upper/lower control arms and motor mounts. Everything else has been replaced.

The only other clue is that if I am above 30-40mph, no matter how jacked up the road is, I can never hear any clunk what so ever...

Sam, if I took a pic of my calipers from several angles, do you think you could tell me if the springs are on correctly?
Probably at least the outside ones but the piston part of the calipers would have to be off
Old 12-27-12, 08:20 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

You know Sam, you are starting to make me wonder whether the shims were included in my front brake job.

I brought my mechanic the springs and the pads but I did not know about the shims. I'm hoping he reused the OEM shims...

I do notice that my brakes groan a little at low speed...
Old 12-27-12, 10:05 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got some sort of noise coming from the front of my 02 GS430 as well. Not sure if I would call it a clunk, or more of a creaking sound. I notice it at low speeds while turning...either out of my garage or off of my driveway, down into the street. I have replaced upper control arms, lower control arms, sway bars, sway bar bushings, sway bar end links, outer tie rods, ball joints, caster/trailing arms and steering rack bushings. This is just off the top of my head, as I may be forgetting something. So wy do I still have a creak when turning at low speeds? The dealer cant find anything wrong. Could it be inner tie rods, strut mounts, hub assemblies or the steering knuckles?

Last edited by jjbenzo; 12-27-12 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 10:17 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

You know Sam, you are starting to make me wonder whether the shims were included in my front brake job.

I brought my mechanic the springs and the pads but I did not know about the shims. I'm hoping he reused the OEM shims...

I do notice that my brakes groan a little at low speed...
Are your brakes slotted or vented?(rotors) because they will make a noise at low speeds but that is normal (almost a fan noise that follows the wheel speed)
Old 12-28-12, 12:10 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Are your brakes slotted or vented?(rotors) because they will make a noise at low speeds but that is normal (almost a fan noise that follows the wheel speed)
Nope, OEM.

And it's not a fan noise, it's more of a light groaning.

Quick Reply: 2001 GS430 Front Suspension Refresh