Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers: height vs. dampening

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02, 01:41 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Coilovers: height vs. dampening

Sorry for the newbie question. I am looking into coilovers and am wondering about the adjustments. It seems that with coilovers, you can go lower that you can with the traditional shock/spring combo. When you change the height, however, does it also adversely change the dampening?

I see threads about adjusting height to reduce gap. I see threads about adjusting for ride comfort. Are these two adjustments the same, just from a different perspective? OR are there adjustments for each so you can have a lower and softer ride (with handling degredation)?

Thanks.
Old 11-21-02, 02:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ah, so neo you are finally into the loop too? too tempting huh?

anyway, here's my take. most coilover, for example the tein HA, CS, RA, they allow you to adjust the height and stiffness. when you adjust height you basically adjust the lower support bracket of the coilover. it will, to some extend, have effect on stiffness too. so in short with these coilover, when you lower the car more, you will see a bit stiffer ride even with the same stiffness setting. however, it's not that noticeable comparing to directly adjust the stiffness setting.

some newer design, like the tein flex, it actually has two set of springs (from what i understand), and you will be able to adjust the height without really changing the stiffness at all.