Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coil/shock/springs vs. braces/bars: Ride quality question

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02 | 01:59 AM
Neo
The One

Default Coil/shock/springs vs. braces/bars: Ride quality question

I realize both categories contribute to handling. It seems that the c/s/s side of the equation helps dampen the vertical oscillations the car would encounter. The b/b pieces tie both sides of the car together, thus reducing horizontal and rotational movement to the car.

Can these two sides significantly affect each other in terms of ride quality? When I put my L-Tuned springs & shocks on (in addition to 18s), I felt more jarring when the roads are not perfect. Still, the car still seems like something had to happen to both sides of the car for me to really feel it. If the roads were good, the ride is still pretty smooth.

When I put my sways on, everything that happened to one wheel will translate to the wheel on the other side causing a quick side-to-side swaying. I don't mind so much what the new shock/spring combo did to the car but the sways ride result I can live without. Now, I am not planning to remove the sways because ride aside, I love what it did for the car in terms of handling.

Sorry for the long-winded setup, but here is the question:

If I go with softer springs, I will probably benefit from a vertical dampening issue but will I get any benefit to my "horizontal" issues that came with the sways?

If I am incorrent in any of my assumptions, feel free to correct me.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-02 | 02:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

umm.... first of all, do you have aftermarket wheels? i ask coz' the following is what i think and what i saw.

you are right about the vertical and horizontal issues. having stiffer shocks and springs will reduce the among of vertical travel, better handling but a really harsh ride. having sways, brakes, will tie all the body and suspension togther, so the body doesn't travel side-wise as much.

now to your point about side-wise swing with the sway. first of all i don't have the trd sways yet, but once i change from the stock 17 to the current 19 (better road feel, and wider tires), the side-swing issues got worsen a lot. this is solely due to the fact that the grip on the tires are a lot better, AND that our steering wheel design is too soft and too sensative. on the other hand, on my acura, before and after i put on the sway bars, it didn't change the side-wise swing at all.

so the way i think about it. assume we have a very soft and sensative steering wheel design. putting on the b/b design would means what you have on one side would be transferred more to the other side. so say you are on uneven road and your right wheel starts to pull right, it will try to pull the left too (this is in conjunction to the point that having sways your turning responnse and speed will increase). since you have a soft steering then your car will be easily pulled to the right, including the steering wheel, so that's why you have that pulling left and right feel. but if steering is tight enough, so unless you turn the steering, it will try to resist most of the force from the wheel feedback, you won't feel it as much.

make sense?
Old 11-21-02 | 02:02 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Neo,
I'd say your reasoning is sound about softer springs. If I'm talking strictly in handling terms, you can control body roll by either stiffer spring rates or thicker sways. There has to be a balance between how much you want either one of these components to control this.

Using stiffer the sways, reacts primarily in corners. Straight line driving, the ride will be less affected, but you will feel a harder ride on uneven surfaces; expansion joints not that much affect.

Stiffer springs will be less prone to uneven surfaces, but the overall ride will be harder whether driving straight or in corners.

You obviously need to find a happy medium that suits your driving style and the road conditions you expect to encounter.

Ideally, my school of thought is to get the softest spring rate you can without bottoming, then rely on the sways to control lean and then adjust the shock damping to match the road conditions and driving style you require. This is where I find the EDFC useful with it's 3 presets. Full soft for regular driving, stiff for moderate roads(some bumps) and hard for smooth roads and high speed freeway driving.

Now what?

Since we have a limited set of sway bar choices, I'll make that a non-variable. I've got adjustable Intrax sway bars, but the other setting I wouldn't recommend for everyday driving. Only if I go track or autocross would I change it.

Adding STB's and other braces minimizes body flex, which translates into more driver feel (or harshness-depends on how you look at it). This makes better shocks even more important.

The LCB's didn't appear to affect your ride charecteristics as you eluded on your other post.

We're down to springs and shocks. From what people tell me and from my own experience, this is how I would sum it up:

Tein CS - soft stock like ride, but better control, non-floaty.

Tein Flex - More performance oriented, much better than stock, but still bias toward keeping a good ride.

Tein HA - For those seriously interested in handling, track use, even the full soft setting is too hard for some. Most people will never push their cars hard enough to utilize these coilovers to their limit.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 11-21-02 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-21-02 | 04:43 PM
Neo
The One

RMMGS4,

I was looking into getting softer springs to replace the L-Tuned ones. The ones GS4Will has for sale looks pretty good. It is supposed to be softer with an extra 1/4" of lowering. This is the economical upgrade. If he has sold it, I am sure he can get more later.

My other choice is the Tein CS, then the Flex. I was planning on the CS for the softer ride but rominl is trying to convince me to get the Flex.

Anyway, I am just doing research at this point. Suspension-wise, I wanted to get all the bracing in first, then deal with the springs/coilover issue. The L-Tuned ones are not really that bad either. I am just nitpicking at this point; Relentless pursuit of perfection and all, you know.
Old 11-21-02 | 05:48 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

I'm right there with ya Neo.

My work is one of ongoing and continuous improvement. I follow this lifestyle at home and on my GS.

The CS is the softest that I know of and closest to stock ride, some may say smoother w/better handling. I don't know if anyone knows if it is even softer than the L-Tuned? It is an old model as far as the Tein line up is concerned.

The Flex is one of the latest products from Tein. I think it has a slightly higher spring rate than the CS (Check w/someone who knows), but also when you lower it, the ride can be kept smoother overall because of it's increased adjustability. E-mail Tein tech support directly to get their comments. I've e-mailed them before and they were quite helpful.

In any case, as long as you have the adjustable shock damping, you will be able to tweek the ride closer to what you want.