Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

do i need new brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-02, 03:07 AM
tommym
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do i need new brakes?

I just brought my car into the shop today (some low budget junk shop) I just had them put it on a lift and check out my brakes. I was surprised when they told me that I need at least two brand new rear brakes and possibly front brakes as well.

The problem I am having is that my car is making a screeching / hissing noise when i drive. The sound seems to be coming from the front right wheel; however the mechanics said i need new rear brakes...? The noise will be made when i am driving from 1MPH all the way up to 90MPH and seems to be gett louder the longer i put off fixing it. When i press the brake pedal whatsoever the noise stops.

Could that perhaps be the indicator in the brake pads? If so would i just need new pads?

Any help would be appreciated
Old 11-23-02, 03:12 AM
tommym
Rookie

also....if I do indeed new all new rear brakes how much should that run me? also how much would new pads cost for all 4 rotors?

thanks

-94 sc300
maf adaptor K&N filter w/ heatshield
AC catback exhaust
Old 11-23-02, 01:10 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hmm,

I think you are miscommunicating with the shop. When a mechanic says "You need new brakes in the front and rear" he usually means that the pads are worn and you will need to redo the setup. Not that you have to buy a new braking system.

To say that you need new pads is not enough. If you hear screaching then you have already begun to hammer the metal portion of the brake pad to the brake rotor. In that case you will need to resurface or replace your rotors. Resurfacing is $20 or so and replacings is about $75 each. The pads from Lexus will run you about $180 with shims and fitting kits.

All in all, if you get a deal from a ClubLexus Vendor on some nice crossdrilled rotors for ~$280 and then the pads for $180, you can pay someone $100 to install them.

MW
Old 11-25-02, 11:51 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

front pads and rear pads from the factory are about 170 dollars.
Old 11-26-02, 11:57 AM
Neal Rikal
Pole Position

1.)If your car sounds like a train trying to stop (metal against metal) then you need new brake pads badly. If this is the case you may also need new rotors if you have scratched them up.

2.)If your brakes just sound like wagon wheels that need oil:

A.your brake pads have a hardened film on them. To fix this just get going fast and gun the brakes to "burn off" the film. Don't use spray on wheel cleaners eighter becuase they may cause this film to form on the rotors and brake pads.

B.your brake pads are supposed to have a slight amount of contact with your rotors at all times. the brake pads may be rubbing incorrectly and making improper contact, hence the noise going away when you press the brakes causing it to make complete contact. Also the edges of the brake pads may need rounded off because if there is a sharp edge it can make funny noises caused by air getting trapped behind the point of contact.

*don't take the mechanics word for it, make him show you and explain his reasons, just be polite.