Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Control Arm Bushings ... Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 02:17 PM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the Rear uppers to be the hardest bushings to replace. I don't think many sc owners do them but i did. couldn't find a good way to get a press around it and shops wouldn't do it so I just carfully hack sawed the metal sleeve out so I could get he new bushing. The rear uppers are the only one that when you torch the bushing out there is a pressed in metal sleeve still in place.
Old 03-22-07, 06:14 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zegnaguy
I found the Rear uppers to be the hardest bushings to replace. I don't think many sc owners do them but i did. couldn't find a good way to get a press around it and shops wouldn't do it so I just carfully hack sawed the metal sleeve out so I could get he new bushing. The rear uppers are the only one that when you torch the bushing out there is a pressed in metal sleeve still in place.
How did you get the sleeve out?
Old 03-22-07, 07:47 PM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

carefully hack sawed the metal sleeve out
Old 03-22-07, 09:00 PM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

I put some tein flex on in addition to the bushings and no more sloshing around for me. Rear tires feel like they will break loose before the rest of the body moves.
Old 03-22-07, 09:03 PM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

doesn't seem like most sc owners replace the rear bushing, I'm glad I did because I'm not looking for the typical soft ride, need to feel the road and responsivness.
Old 04-02-07, 05:48 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

So yeah, I'm replacing mine with the Daizen Camber adjustment bushings. I have already run into 2 problems and I don't have anything apart still. First off, my ball joint boot got wasted. Second of all, I can't get the ball joint loose. So now my question is, can I just replace the boot? My searches all point to no. That's the gayest thing I've ever heard of, having to buy a whole new CA for a torn boot? WTF?
Old 04-03-07, 10:16 AM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kyoso23
So yeah, I'm replacing mine with the Daizen Camber adjustment bushings. I have already run into 2 problems and I don't have anything apart still. First off, my ball joint boot got wasted. Second of all, I can't get the ball joint loose. So now my question is, can I just replace the boot? My searches all point to no. That's the gayest thing I've ever heard of, having to buy a whole new CA for a torn boot? WTF?

To get the ball joint loose you have to use the ball joint puller, screw it in very tight but don't keep going on it or it my brake the puller. Once very tight smack the arm up with rubber malet untill it pops off. make sure to have something supporting Wheel hub.

It does suck that we have to replace whole arm if ball joint boots gets torn. I patched mine up till I buy new one with tire repair patch kit. Still oozes little out the top butter than the 1inch slit though.
Old 04-03-07, 10:47 AM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

So what ball joint puller works on the rears? The axle is in the way isn't it?
Old 04-03-07, 12:58 PM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Can't remember, I did one of those free tool kit rentals from Schucks. I might have used a couple of them there were 5 pullers in the kit. Some didn't go on that great. Just need to get some pressure on there and use malet for the rest.
Old 04-03-07, 01:12 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

Dang. I rented one of those kits already, nothing fit correctly and one of them ripped the boot. $360 from Lexus.
Old 04-03-07, 03:14 PM
zegnaguy
Pole Position

Yeah if you can't salvage the boot with tire patch kit then time to buy new one. The older boots rip easier. If its the upper are that your talking about and you hunt around you should be able to find for around 250 or so.
Old 04-03-07, 03:29 PM
kyoso23
Lexus Test Driver

There's members selling used ones in the classifieds, I will probably go that route since I'm just gonna chop out the bushings anyways. I found some aftermarket new ones for around $250 if it doesn't work out. It's my nature, to break things that were perfectly fine before I layed a hand on them.
Old 07-16-07, 08:35 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by pcmw
I guess the only REAL way to tell if Peter/Andrew's bushings last is to check back in TWO YEARS.
Bump. Keep this thread alive!

It's been over two years. Update? I love the fact that you guys tried fabing your own bushings! If you want it done right........
Old 07-18-07, 06:46 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcmw
I purchased the DAIZEN control arm bushings from
The performance difference is instantly noticable...I am very impressed with the product and would recommend them to EVERY SC owner. They are a must have and I would suggest installing them into every SC built. Even if you ordered a brand new set of control arm, I would suggest pulling out the inferior rubber setup for the Daizens. I will detail more reasons in my How-2 but the simple reason is because the stocks suck.

MW
Sorry, but I gotta strongly dissagree here. The Daizens are an excellent product if what you're looking for is straight-out performance and handling. For racing, cornering and whatnot, they're a great product. But after I installed the UCA & LCA Daizen bushings on my '93 the thing rode like a freakin' forklift! I don't particularly enjoy being able to hear and feel each and every single pebble, crack or - God forbid - pothole I rolled over. Every lousy imperfection on the road is now brazenly telegraphed through my entire subframe and steering wheel because of these hard-*** bushings.

Many people label the OEMs as "crap" and "garbage". But what you have to remember is you probably bought your car with 70,000+ miles already on it. How many people have ever even driven an SC brand new? I have, and I can tell you that the comfort and sound deadening characteristics that this car was engineered to acheive are totally mitigated by polyeurothane bushings.

Personally, I'm ordering a set of Vlamos (rubber OEM replacement) bushings next chance I get. I can't wait to get back my "Lexus" ride quality and get out of this zero-tolerance go-cart.
Old 07-18-07, 08:56 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great input, especially for those of us trying to maintain that trademark Lexus ride in areas where roads aren't glass smooth.

Due to some reports of creaks, groans, and telepathically-sent vibrations, I'll stick to stock control arm replacement or go the Vlamos route.

Quick Reply: Control Arm Bushings ... Install