Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Control Arm Bushings ... Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-07, 08:54 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
Personally, I'm ordering a set of Vlamos (rubber OEM replacement) bushings next chance I get. I can't wait to get back my "Lexus" ride quality and get out of this zero-tolerance go-cart.
I remember Vlamos offering their oem replacement bushings with an option to make them a user-defined percentage stiffer than stock. I'm just curious which + % are you planning on going with?
Old 07-19-07, 10:33 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dejacky
I remember Vlamos offering their oem replacement bushings with an option to make them a user-defined percentage stiffer than stock. I'm just curious which + % are you planning on going with?
Well, the website says that they are 10%-30% stiffer than stock.
Old 07-19-07, 07:54 PM
ProjectLex
Lead Lap

In CL member's opinions, which after market bushings give the "most like stock" ride?

I already have no interest in the Daizens because I have no desire for a stiff ride.

The Vlamos sound better, but even 10-30% stiffer than stock could be rather noticeable. Not to mention the Vlamos are rather expensive just for bushes.

The polyurethane jobs are cheap, but you usually get what you pay for.

Let's have some after market "bush" testimonials......
Old 07-19-07, 09:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

if you want the stock bushing replacements, get them... I am pretty sure Lexus sells them outright if you give them the 2000 model year part numbers...

I got from like-stock replacement bushings off ebay for about $60 per side for the lowers - they are an exact copy of stock...
Old 07-20-07, 10:07 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lowers are much more readily available than uppers. As far as I know, there are only 3 options for uppers:
1) Stock
2) Daizen
3) Vlamos
Old 07-20-07, 10:19 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by akxx
Lowers are much more readily available than uppers. As far as I know, there are only 3 options for uppers:
1) Stock
2) Daizen
3) Vlamos
Prothane also makes a kit for all the fronts...

I have their 14 piece kit on the rear and it's great
Old 07-22-07, 03:18 PM
akxx
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Prothane also makes a kit for all the fronts...

I have their 14 piece kit on the rear and it's great
Polyurethane, I presume?
Old 07-22-07, 03:24 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by akxx
Polyurethane, I presume?
yup.....
Old 07-22-07, 03:48 PM
icec0ld
Pole Position

does replacing the the rear control arm bushings get rid of the clunks & creaking noise like when I drive over bumps, dips, etc. ? I already replaced my struts & springs about 5 mos ago.

mitsuguy, how long would it take to replace it? what would be a reasonable price to pay for labor?

thanks!
Old 07-22-07, 06:57 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by icec0ld
does replacing the the rear control arm bushings get rid of the clunks & creaking noise like when I drive over bumps, dips, etc. ? I already replaced my struts & springs about 5 mos ago.

mitsuguy, how long would it take to replace it? what would be a reasonable price to pay for labor?

thanks!
If you have loose bushings in the rear, then yes, it will get rid of the clunks...

reasonable price... hmmm... rough one... book time is like 7 hours to do it...

If you could find someone to do it for $200, I'd jump all over it... (hell, I work at a shop and would have paid someone $200 to not have to do it myself) $300-$400 is realistically what you will pay at a shop probably... It's just a time consuming job and 6 bushings are little bastards to get out...
Old 07-23-07, 09:49 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
if you want the stock bushing replacements, get them... I am pretty sure Lexus sells them outright if you give them the 2000 model year part numbers...

Well...not so fast there. I don't have a Lexus repair manual, so I can't call-out a part number. But I've called my dealer twice now on this, and they swear up and down that the front UCA bushings only come as part of the arm. They won't sell the bushings seperately, because they're not parted out seperately.

But, if someone here has gotten a hold of STOCK, OEM front UCA bushings before, please drop some knowledge on a brotha, because I'm just trying to get that brand new ride quality back without paying a Vlamos sticker-price.

-word
Old 07-23-07, 10:37 AM
akxx
Lead Lap

You know, considering that you could replace the UCA bushings with the pricey Vlamos ones for the "OEM quality ride" and the fact that your UCA ball joint may go south on you in the next couple of years, it doesn't look all that ridiculous anymore to outright replace your UCAs with OEM units, especially when you can get them for less than $300 a piece (I know, not cheap by any means) and not have to worry about them at all for another 60-100k miles. Once you factor in paying a machine shop to press out/in the old/new bushings (for those of us without our own shop) and doesn't look so bad at all.

In this case, I'm leaning towards fixing it completely the first time and not having to even consider getting back in there within another few years.
Old 07-23-07, 10:49 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by SuperCoupe400
Well...not so fast there. I don't have a Lexus repair manual, so I can't call-out a part number. But I've called my dealer twice now on this, and they swear up and down that the front UCA bushings only come as part of the arm. They won't sell the bushings seperately, because they're not parted out seperately.

But, if someone here has gotten a hold of STOCK, OEM front UCA bushings before, please drop some knowledge on a brotha, because I'm just trying to get that brand new ride quality back without paying a Vlamos sticker-price.

-word
ooh, I better check... I was thinking lowers, which I know for sure Lexus has replacements available... yah, uppers are aftermarket or with the arm itself...
Old 07-23-07, 10:49 AM
SuperCoupe400
Intermediate

Got a related question for anyone who has replaced these before (UCA bushings or the whole arm). It is advised that the suspension be under full load before the CA bolts are fully torqued - do to the fact that the stock bushings do not slide within the 'sleeve' of the CA, but instead flex. And tightening with suspension fully extended would just cause the bushings to sheer apart within a-hundred miles or so.

Now, any backyard grease monkey (like myself) could do this himself on the LOWERS by just loosely fastening the CA bolts, popping the wheels back on, then pulling the car up a pair of ramps to tighten. But how in the world would you get to the uppers?