Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Trying to decide on New suspension for 2013

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-12, 03:19 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trying to decide on New suspension for 2013

So I’ve been in the market for sometime now for new suspension. I bought another GS300 in May after my last GS300 was side swiped in downtown. For the last 4 months now I’ve been doing a lot of research/homework on my next suspension set up. I swore I was going to go air/hybrid this time but after 3 months of doing research, getting prices, and talking to people about the pro’s and con’s, I decided once again to go what I know best, coilovers. I know over all air ride would be “convenient” to have because of drive ways, terrible roads in the bay area ect, but I love riding low all the time and having to worry about bags and due to lack of hand on knowledge, is just something I don’t want to deal with.

Lately I’ve had my eyes on BC Racing coilovers w/ Swift springs with BC drop kit. I’ve also been looking into PBM (Powered by Max) coilovers as well. I’ve done my research including reading reviews from Supra, Mazda, Lexus, GTO, and almost every forum online I can find on them, but am looking for people that have been running either of these for a long amount of time or that have first hand experience and feedback for BC or PBM coilovers. I know there are quite a few of you on the forums that ride low and I’ve seen many of your reviews as well, but im trying to get a more up-to-date review since many are from 2011 and older with a few exceptions.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and hope I’ll beable to come to a decision soon.
Old 09-16-12, 03:23 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

I've looked into other suspension such as Stance as well, but alot of mixed reviews on them as well. Also from researching, it seems that PBM uses swift springs as well if im not mistaken.
Old 09-16-12, 04:15 PM
1SickGS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go Air! End of Story!
Old 09-16-12, 04:20 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

i'd rather not go air, but thanks for the input.
air would be practical if i was going to keep the car for a long length of time. I've always had a thing for "static", even at the point now where i am financially stable enough to go air, i'd still perfer static.

Last edited by 1UGLYGS; 09-16-12 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-16-12, 04:28 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

This one my previous gs on coils before it was hit.
Old 09-16-12, 05:16 PM
1SickGS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vey nice! You can put your air system management in any car you trade out for or buy. All you'll have to sale your air struts or if you go cups just install them on your new coil overs.
Old 09-17-12, 04:01 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SickGS300
Vey nice! You can put your air system management in any car you trade out for or buy. All you'll have to sale your air struts or if you go cups just install them on your new coil overs.
im aware of that. but i have no plans to use it on my next project. After im done with this lexus im looking into building an older impala or possibly a datsun.

i still have a complete UAS kit i was looking into that one of my friends was looking into selling since he's planning to upgrade to a newer LS4XX, but im still pretty set on coils at the moment.
Old 09-17-12, 04:31 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just grab a set of PBM, they are great coils. Very stiff though. I have BC right now and they ride pretty well
Old 09-17-12, 07:29 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

I'm also stuck on coilovers. PBM looks really good.. and apparently ride nice.. but nobody really has them. Only certain coilovers they carry use swift springs. Bc with swift springs i hear is really nice.
Old 09-17-12, 08:57 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc300jz
Just grab a set of PBM, they are great coils. Very stiff though. I have BC right now and they ride pretty well
whats your spring rate? Do you have any personal experience with PBM? And whats your current ride height on your BC's?

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
I'm also stuck on coilovers. PBM looks really good.. and apparently ride nice.. but nobody really has them. Only certain coilovers they carry use swift springs. Bc with swift springs i hear is really nice.
yeah, thats what i've been hearing too, and they're roughly around the same price for either of them. Im not 100% against air/strut set up, but looking for either help/advice because i would have no clue what im doing lol
Old 09-23-12, 09:01 PM
williepee
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

after reading forums and getting a pretty good deal from Chrispy, I recently pulled the trigger on PBM vip coilovers.

waiting to get my wheels back from refinishing to install. will report back with my review.

will be placing an order with figs soon
Old 09-23-12, 11:00 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by williepee
after reading forums and getting a pretty good deal from Chrispy, I recently pulled the trigger on PBM vip coilovers.

waiting to get my wheels back from refinishing to install. will report back with my review.

will be placing an order with figs soon
Mind PM'ing me the quote he gave you? And were you given the option to get different spring rates?
Old 09-25-12, 07:08 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Anyone have a rep i can speak to about PBM? Im kind of leaning towards BC now because of the lack of response from PBM after sending an email to them in regards to their suspension and questions on ordering custom spring rates, and if it would be possible to put the sc top hats on the gs coils because of the adjustable camber