Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Clunk When Turning and Braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-12, 09:01 PM
Buhrt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunk When Turning and Braking

Hello all,

I have searched and found a few similar threads but none with exactly my problem, so here it goes.

I recently developed a loud clunking noise from the driver's side of my car when turning and braking at the same time. It originally only happened when making right turns and braking, and has gotten progressively louder on that side, while starting to do the same when making left turns and braking. Either way, the sound always comes from the driver's side. I can also "feel" the clunk in my brake pedal when this happens. The problem is most noticeable when pulling into parking spaces.

If you have any ideas as to what might be the cause, please let me know. Thanks in advance. It's a '99 GS4 with 125k miles.
Old 09-27-12, 08:59 AM
AnimalB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buhrt
Hello all,

I have searched and found a few similar threads but none with exactly my problem, so here it goes.

I recently developed a loud clunking noise from the driver's side of my car when turning and braking at the same time. It originally only happened when making right turns and braking, and has gotten progressively louder on that side, while starting to do the same when making left turns and braking. Either way, the sound always comes from the driver's side. I can also "feel" the clunk in my brake pedal when this happens. The problem is most noticeable when pulling into parking spaces.

If you have any ideas as to what might be the cause, please let me know. Thanks in advance. It's a '99 GS4 with 125k miles.
I just had this same exact thing happen to me. My fix was very easy. Do you have shims on your break pads? I would check that first....if you do not have them....the noise you could be hearing is the metal on metal - outside of pad touching the caliper.

That is what my issue was. I did not have shims on my pads....so some lubricant was applied to the areas that were rubbing. Also check the clips that are holding your pads....they could be a little loose.

If that is not the issue you may need to start looking into Lower ball joint, control arms, or struts.
Old 09-28-12, 08:05 AM
Buhrt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll start there.
Old 10-02-12, 07:43 PM
2eXceL
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the infamous clunk in 2GS, it could be many things in the Front Suspension, but if you have already replaced the Lower Ball Joint, No.2 Lower Control Arms, struts, etc. then it could be the brake pads themselves.
Since your at over 100K, the No.2 Lower Control Arms and the Lower Ball joints should have been changed around 80K, if they were not then you NEED to do that also. You can search these threads for Lower Ball Joint failure and can see what happens to the LBJ when the No. 2 Lower Control Arms bushings go bad and are not replaced.... this topic is all over this forum.
Old 11-07-12, 11:16 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

If you can feel the clunk in the pedal that could be a clue.

What you are describing could be related to many things... I'd look at your brake clips/shims, balljoints, caster arms, tie rods, sway bar links, and upper front strut mounts.