Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

RMM Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-02, 05:51 PM
TRDGS3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RMM Brake Upgrade

Ok....I dont know if this has been posted before, so if it has please forgive me....I had the RMM Brake Upgrade put in about three months ago, Since that time everytime I am "creeping" up the line at a red light or if i am applying pressure to the brakes for example comming to a stop in traffic going like around 5-15 mph....I get this really bad noise....it sounds like I need new brakes, however I know I dont do to the fact that I have only had them for a little over 3 months, and put maybe 5k miles on them....this has been an on going thing.....any suggestions.....

-KRis
Old 11-27-02, 06:04 PM
JacobT

Whoever did the installation for you probably forgot to install those anti-squeak metal plates between the pistons and pads. I have installed my SupraTT brakes twice, those are necessary to be there to avoid the noice.
Old 11-27-02, 06:05 PM
1QWKGS4
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Brakes

Hey TRDGS3,
I'm familiar with those brakes but no expert. I had a set of them (never used)but endup selling to another buddy. From my perspective they are the Supra Brakes- you shouldn't have any problems but what kind of pads are you using - Usually the racing pads make more noise- I'm tolded.. Maybe you should use the EBC pads I heard it is real good and very little brake dust..

QWK
Old 11-27-02, 07:20 PM
TRDGS3
Driver

Thanks for the input guys....it really helps....however....I took the car back to the shop and sure enough the anti squeak plates were there....they told me something about the fact that the brakes are a race product and something to do with the brake dust.....does any of this make sense???.....

-KRis
Old 11-27-02, 08:35 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I heard that when certain pads get cold, they tend to squeak, and when they warm up, the squeak goes away. When you do a lot of hard braking, do they still make the noise?

Last edited by mcgong; 11-27-02 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-27-02, 09:20 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Pads can make a big difference. If what you are talking about is almost like a growl, it is probably the pads. Sometimes more agressive pad compounds need to heat up and they don't really get a chance to in a street car. I put EBC GreenStuff on my wife's Maxima and at either very low speed stopping or that last little bit coming to a complete stop, they give out a little growl. Might be mistaken for a grinding noise but I just write it off to the pads. There is a small chance that the pads glazed, sometimes that will make them noisy. You could try surfacing the rotors and see if that changes things any. Good luck.
Old 11-27-02, 11:44 PM
JacobT

Did you use TRD pads? When I had my TRD pads on, I had the same noise. Now I'm using the EBC Green stuff, due to the kevlar compound. It's quiet and clean now.
Old 11-28-02, 02:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ok couple of issues that you can check here.

first, what kind of pads you using? for example on my ap racing, if i use the street pads, which are harder, i can sometimes hear noise. using race pads (softer) will help the problem

second, a lot of times performance brake pads you need to warm them up first. on my ap racing, before i warm up the pads, which may take liks couple miles of street driving, i hear noise everytime i brake. but after it's warm up, i hear nothing at all. once it's warm the grip of the pads really come in and that help to stop the rotors.

did they break in your brakes (rotors, pads) correctly before you drove off their lot? that's important too. a poorly broken in brake system could have noise, and that's pretty much permanent.

a good way to test it out is, find some good stretch of road, do some moderate to hard 60-10 stopping, say 5 times. do you still hear noise when you brake now? if not, then it's all about the warm up issue.

brake dust could produce some noise too, but it shouldn't be that noticeable