Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bad suspension noise - please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 07:22 PM
Boston35
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad suspension noise - please help

I have a noise that I have been trying to isolate and I cannot figure it out. It's like a squeaky creaky sound coming from the front passenger side suspension. This is on a 1999 GS300 with 104k.

-When I reproduce the noise and try to locate the noise it sounds like its coming from right in the middle of the hub.

-The car must be driven for a little while before it starts making the noise at which point it becomes loud and constant. It will then be gone in the morning until it starts back up again. When its making the noise it is LOUD and embarrassing.

-It makes the noise with every dip and bump in the road. Turning the car in either direction does not seem to affect it.

-The lower ball joints have been recently replaced. I also had a mechanic try to shake the wheel while on a lift and he said everything feels tight.

-There is a vibration in the steering wheel at exactly 60 mph. No vibration at 50 mph. No vibration at 70 mph. It seems like it could be related to the noise.

-The suspension is a stock setup - no lowering or modifications.

-Here's a video of the noise:
View My Video
if that doesn't work try: http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=ie301s&s=6

Any ideas on what it could be? I've been reading through a bunch of old threads on here and the best ideas I have are upper control arm, lower control arm, caster arm, maybe the spring or strut??

Last edited by Boston35; 10-05-12 at 07:24 PM. Reason: didn't mention car year and model
Old 10-06-12, 10:49 PM
Boston35
Driver School Candidate

So I got under my car today and found that the sway bar end links could be moved around pretty easily with my hand and the top bushing of both links was abraded and torn (the passenger side one seemed worse). Could this be the culprit that's making the squeaky mattress sound and the instability at 60 mph?
Old 10-07-12, 12:29 AM
Boston35
Driver School Candidate

I'm pretty sure it's at least partly the sway bar links. This mechanic video on youtube sort of confirms it for me: (fast forward to 4:10)
Old 10-17-12, 11:33 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Sway bar links could be contributing to the vibrations for sure. Less likely for the squeal, but still possible.

Can't view video at work, but sounds like could be bad wheel bearing as well.

Shake at 58-60mph is normal for this car. Some worse than others depending on condition of front suspension, wheel balance, tire balance, alignment, etc, etc. VERY few have managed to eliminate it entirely.
Old 11-07-12, 11:02 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Blanco
VERY few have managed to eliminate it entirely.
I have, but it took a road force balance, caster arm bushings, rack bushings, tie rod ends, balljoint, and an alignment to eliminate it completely. Mind you, both my local Lexus dealer and my independent mechanic both said that there was nothing glaringly wrong with these parts. When we removed them, we did notice that the caster arm bushings did have some light tearing, and the balljoints felt dry/loose.

While our cars are more proned to steering vibe compared to many other cars, these cars did not role off the showroom floor like this so this problem is most certainly curable with some investigative work.