Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Installing Megan LP Coilovers on a 2001 GS430

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-12, 12:53 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Installing Megan LP Coilovers on a 2001 GS430

Hi folks, I just picked up a set of coilovers for my 2001 GS430 (Megan LP). The kit came with 12kg/mm front and 8kg/mm rear springs. I've spent several hours reading up on suspensions/coilovers and read the Megan Racing "how-to" technical pages which aren't the most informative. I have a few specific questions:

1.) Unfortunately my kit was missing the spanner wrenches. Does anyone know where I can find a set of these? Hopefully costing less than the $50 that Megan wants for the pair.

2.) Spring Pre-Load: The Megan site indicates that you should thread the lower spring perch so itis snug on the spring. They recommend that you be able to twist the spring with your hand slightly after the locking nut is set. I've looked at other manufacturer's "how-tos" and some recommend that you give it 4mm or so of pre-load. Can anyone comment on this? To much pre-load may stress the damper. Too little pre-load and you risk clunking when going over bumps.

3.) If I correctly set the pre-load on the spring and thread the lower body as high as it will go, what will the ride height look like?

4.) For insallation of the fronts, I've seen some references that say that the upper control arm joint needs to be separated from the spindle. Is this true? I would prefer not to mess with the upper control arm joint if I don't have to.

Thanks!

BayAreaLex
Old 10-16-12, 02:34 PM
671gs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the front u just have to turn your wheel to get a space pulling them out
Old 10-16-12, 02:40 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 671gs
For the front u just have to turn your wheel to get a space pulling them out
wow. that was extraordinarily unhelpful to the OP.

OP, I haven't installed coils myself but I'll take a crack at your questions.

1.) Any coilover wrench *should* do. I'd imagine they can be had on ebay pretty cheap.

2.) I would imagine you would want to drop the lower spring perch all the way down, hold the spring up against the top perch, then thread the bottom perch back up against the spring. Not so tight as to lock the spring in place, but not so loose as to be able to turn it with no resistance. I don't think you'll be able to give it too much preload turning the perches by hand.

3.) I don't recall whether ride height is set only by the lower perch or if it's by taking the upper and lower and moving them together while maintaining the same preload.

4.) I don't recall hearing anything about separating the control arm from the spindle at all. You should be able to drop the spring/shock out as an assembly and slide your new coilover in.
Old 10-16-12, 02:58 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

1. If you're really picky and want to use spanner wrenches just search around majority should work on it. OR just use a flat head and a hammer hit it till its loosen then go by hand.

2. To me I set the preload to 0 i believe. I just tighten spring enough where its stiff, but still can turn with enough force.

3. You dont want to set the pre-load as has you can, height varies from coilovers

4. No need to remove the UCA, just jiggle it around and it'll eventually come out.
Old 11-05-12, 03:56 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I ended up having a shop install them and it went smooth. The most time consuming part was dialing in the height + alignment.

My car is pretty damn low and there's a lot more adjustment to go lower without touching the pre-load.

I ended up going with 2-3mm of pre-load like is often recommended.
Old 11-06-12, 01:58 AM
sLOWaristo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics, and comments on the ride quality? I know everybody says they're smooth and similar to stock, but what are your thoughts, hopefully unbiased. Now let's see that ride
Old 11-06-12, 10:45 AM
pmlexus
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah lets see some pics I plan on picking up a set of these in the next couple of months. I would like some input at to feel and comfort.
Old 11-06-12, 03:50 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

I'd be happy to take some pics but I'm not sure what you guys plan to get out of that in terms of the coilovers.

Like most coilovers, since these are adjustable, you can raise them high or slam the car to the floor. It's personal preference. Me showing you pics of my car with the LPs won't tell you much about them unfortunately.
Old 11-06-12, 06:14 PM
minjarre
Driver School Candidate

whats the ride quality compared to stock?
Old 11-07-12, 05:55 AM
a#'z
Lead Lap

Same question, how's the ride? Trying to get new coilovers for the gs myself.
Old 11-07-12, 09:51 AM
RikTT
Pole Position

I guess for some, a ride height pic would serve as a reference for feedback. I usually get a few miles under the belt for an opinioned response over the intial impression. Nice clean & simple ride you got there
Old 11-07-12, 10:44 AM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

I will post pics shortly.

Regarding the ride quality, you often hear that coil-overs ride like stock. Well, they can with the appropriate spring rate and damper settings.

In my opinion, the 98-05 GS rides like a saggy ball droopy eye old man car when stock. With my 12kg/8kg spring combo and the damper setting set in the middle (it has 32 levels of adjustment on the LPs), it feels like a "sport tuned" suspension with ride quality similar to an OEM BMW M3 if I had to compare it to something. It doesn't float by any means like the stock suspension, but it's a great compromise between tightening up handling/road feel while still offering a very reasonable ride.

I've owned several Mustangs with lowering springs and the ride on those was horrendous. With this GS430, even lowered 3 inches, it rides very nice. Smooth, firm, and controlled without being harsh.

I hope that helps, and pics to follow with the 19x9/19x10 (24mm) combo.
Old 11-07-12, 09:18 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300jz
2. To me I set the preload to 0 i believe. I just tighten spring enough where its stiff, but still can turn with enough force.
+1 on zero preload.
Old 11-07-12, 09:36 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

That's not exactly zero preload.

Zero preload means that as soon as the lower perch gets the slightest resistance, you stop tightening.

Most people probably set 1-3mm of preload which puts a slight amount of compression on the spring but you can still turn it by hand with some applied force.
Old 11-07-12, 09:57 PM
neojungle1
Lexus Test Driver

i own a set of ez and from factory they are set really low to the point i was tuck in after about two week of riding which is recommend the height went really low really low to the point i couldnt even go up my drive way so i adjust them a letting higher and yes to those that dont own a set and looking to get a set the ride is almost dead on factory with out the bounce lexus ride quality ride all the way but looking flashy ...

Quick Reply: Installing Megan LP Coilovers on a 2001 GS430