Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Looking for the most comfortable coilovers!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 07:14 PM
kjhp787078
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for the most comfortable coilovers!!!

Right now my SC has got some pretty stiff Tein Super Drifts and I doubt raising and adjusting the dampers will really help with the ride quality. I mean let's be honest, they're meant for drifting...so I'm looking to buy some new coilovers and the only thing on my mind is comfort and longevity. I would take someone's good stock suspension but I can't seem to find that SO a new set of coilovers seems to be my best bet. I've looked and searched for the best set for comfort but I haven't really gotten to any conclusive answers. Right now I'm looking at Tein's Comfort Sport as my best bet. I heard they're great on other cars but haven't heard anything really on how they are on the SC's. These suckers are expensive so I want to make one purchase that I'll be happy with. Plus, installation isn't fun to pay for more than once. Anybody got some suggestions? Anything...hahaha!
Old 10-21-12, 07:50 AM
severendvr
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure that you could adjust them and get the ride quality you want
maybe try searching around instead of assuming things
Old 10-30-12, 08:40 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Read my post
Old 10-31-12, 01:16 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Get supra struts and lowering springs for comfort and a low ride
Old 10-31-12, 01:59 PM
roc
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcchris7
Get supra struts and lowering springs for comfort and a low ride
yes sir,i have the supra tt agx adjustible with the supra eibach springs,to me its the perfect drop for an sc for everyday driving.quite comfortable almost like stock
Attached Thumbnails Looking for the most comfortable coilovers!!!-work-008.jpg   Looking for the most comfortable coilovers!!!-work-070.jpg  
Old 11-05-12, 12:24 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after sitting in many SCs and supras, I have come to the conclusion that bilstein HD shocks with hypercoil (look for the gixxer-drew setup) provides the best handling/comfort and reliability for the sc/supra.

A lot of the tein setups I have seen installed on the sc have been blown within 2 years. Might be a canada thing though (bad roads)

Everyone who has sat in my car have said its the most comfortable (gixxer-drew) setup
Old 11-06-12, 11:37 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My recommendations:

BC Racing with a Swift spring upgrade, for under $1300 this is the way to go. The Swift spring kit upgrade will really give you a better ride on the street compared to any other of the standard asian market coils out there.

KW V3 - $these will run more, around $2k, but set at the right height and damping these will ride very nice, you will need to use your stock tophats with these though.

Hit us up for help or a deal on either kit
Old 11-14-12, 03:39 PM
kjhp787078
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the advice! Yeah, Honolulu has got some mean roads...never been to Canada but I got a feeling ours is worst because of the weather and climate and our terrible maintenance...LOL

I've only heard of the gixxer-drew setup, but after looking it up I think that's the best choice! Got a lot of people backing it up and it's not that expensive either. HOPE THIS WORKS!!!!!!!!!
Mahalo from the 808 lol
Old 11-14-12, 05:05 PM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Couple other options.

Gixxer_Drew. This was already mentioned, but a great option if you are up to building your own. The 250/500 street spring rate is awesome for a street car looking to retain comfort.

Supra HR coilover setup. These are basically the Gixxer_Drew setup but already assembled, packaged, and ready to install. They include German made shocks( *cough Bilsteins cough)*, and springs which are 515/285. Good option for people interested in the Gixxer_Drew setup, but don't want to build/assemble the coilovers themselves. Cost is under $1k. You will be hard pressed to find a "softer" pre-built coilover setup out there for a similar price. Most of the Tein, Megan, etc stuff has much stiffer spring rates, even their "street/soft" ones they market.

Supra Ground Control. This is similar to Gixxer_Drew where you have to build the coilover yourself. you get a set of Supra Bilsteins, call up Ground Control and they can set you up with a the hardware to build coilovers for those shocks. Not sure how many spring rate options there are, but pretty sure they can do a 500/250 rate which is the same as Gixxer_Drew street setup.

I personally run oem supra springs with supra bilsteins. Great poor mans setup, lowered the car a hair, but probably not low enough for most people on here. Once funds allow, I will likely contact ground control and try their setup since I already have the bilsteins.
Old 11-15-12, 04:59 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
My recommendations:

BC Racing with a Swift spring upgrade, for under $1300 this is the way to go. The Swift spring kit upgrade will really give you a better ride on the street compared to any other of the standard asian market coils out there.

KW V3 - $these will run more, around $2k, but set at the right height and damping these will ride very nice, you will need to use your stock tophats with these though.

Hit us up for help or a deal on either kit
on the bc racing/swift setup , what is the effective front /rear spring rates and same question on the kw

tein cs ( the newer version) has a 10/6 rate .. standard megans , bc racing and tein flex are 14/10 which imo for street use tends to be too tight esp up to handle ripples and bumps with grace . i think a 10/6 is abit to soft so it really compromises better handling

i think the perfect compromise between the two is a 12/8 setup with good upgrade sway bar links and bushings . but lets face it , unless your autocrossing/time attack or drifting , we dont want nor need stiff bone jarring rides , we want to retain good comfortable street manners with enhanced handling and good turn in response .
Old 11-15-12, 08:49 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

I'm running the exact same setup as ROC. I'd gladly trade you my setup for yours! I want coilovers only to go lower. Ride quality doesn't bother me.
Old 11-15-12, 01:54 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lexforlife
on the bc racing/swift setup , what is the effective front /rear spring rates and same question on the kw

tein cs ( the newer version) has a 10/6 rate .. standard megans , bc racing and tein flex are 14/10 which imo for street use tends to be too tight esp up to handle ripples and bumps with grace . i think a 10/6 is abit to soft so it really compromises better handling

i think the perfect compromise between the two is a 12/8 setup with good upgrade sway bar links and bushings . but lets face it , unless your autocrossing/time attack or drifting , we dont want nor need stiff bone jarring rides , we want to retain good comfortable street manners with enhanced handling and good turn in response .
Standard BC Racing springrate us 14k/8k, but if you wanted a softer or stiffer kit we can do custom setups
Old 11-15-12, 01:59 PM
sc400ka
Pole Position

well not my style at all i would want to be low and have a harsh ride lol. however i have read good things about the supra tt agx and a drop spring combo.
Old 11-15-12, 02:39 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Standard BC Racing springrate us 14k/8k, but if you wanted a softer or stiffer kit we can do custom setups
so whats the spring rate and expected ride on the bc/swift setup and btw on bc racing site for our cars it lists 14/10 spring rate
Old 11-15-12, 03:46 PM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Since both Metric and SAE spring rates are being mentioned, I figured I'd post up a conversion so nobody gets confused.

kg/mm to lbs/in
-----------------------------
16 = 896
15 = 840
14 = 784
13 = 728
12 = 672
11 = 616
10 = 560
9.0 = 504
8.5 = 476
8.0 = 448
7.5 = 420
7.0 = 392
6.5 = 364
6.0 = 336
5.5 = 308
5.0 = 280
4.5 = 252
4.0 = 224
3.0 = 168
2.0 = 112

So for example sake, if you are interested in the Gixxer_Drew street setup of 500 / 250, that would be the same as 9k / 4.5k.

Quick Reply: Looking for the most comfortable coilovers!!!