Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

I had an idea... do you think this would work?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-12, 10:36 PM
supra9398
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I had an idea... do you think this would work?

I had an idea concerning a suspension arrangement for the SC 400. I have no real mechanical knowledge, so I am wondering what you guys think of my idea and if anyone has tried it before. Air suspension is rarely used on sports cars on account of its softness. However, the benefits include excellent comfort/compliance and quicker reaction to the road surface than is afforded by coil springs. Extremely large diameter sway bars are also used very rarely on our cars, as extremely stiff sway bars (like the Titan bars for the Supra) are so firm that they take our cars to the point of non-compliance. I was wondering, however, what would happen if you were to combine air suspension with extremely stiff sway bars? I makes sense to me that the sway bars would keep the car flat in corners while the compliance and self-leveling nature of the air suspension would keep all four tires firmly planted on the road, making for stellar handling characteristics. Is my reasoning sound, or am I missing something here?
Old 10-26-12, 09:18 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well to correct you, yes airbag suspension can be set to fully soft and it'll feel like you're riding on a cloud, but the beauty of airbag suspension is its tuneability. You can set them to be real firm and will performance as well as any mediocre coilover, or if you wanna feel like you're in a lincoln town car you can do that too. You can slam it and lay frame, or you can ride super high to clear driveways/speed bumps.

As for the swaybars there is no rule saying you have to go aftermarket, you can keep yours and put new bushings and endlinks and it'll feel way better, or if you need it a tad bit stiffer put OEM supra bars (which includes putting rear supra subrame mounts) with new bushings and endlinks as well. Keep an open mind, and SEARCH. Not only on this forum, but others too.