Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

IS250 AWD not handling well

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 05:35 PM
richf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS250 AWD not handling well

I have a IS250 AWD with F-Sport springs/shocks that is handling very poorly on normal roads, during turns, and over bumps. There's a noticeable rattle coming from the underbody of the car when driving slow over a bumpy road – and that's in conjunction with the floaty, "unconnected" feeling.

When I first got the parts installed, it handled like a dream.

What parts would one check with the symptoms above? CV boots, shocks, end links, bushings, bearings, etc?

Thanks

Last edited by richf; 11-01-12 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-01-12, 07:30 PM
configt
Rookie

Had a similar problem on my 350. Have lexus check the steering rack and EPS system. They found that some sensors had died on mine and was messing up the EPS calculations. Replaced the rack under warranty and it feels like new again.
Old 11-02-12, 11:15 AM
richf
Rookie

Originally Posted by configt
Had a similar problem on my 350. Have lexus check the steering rack and EPS system. They found that some sensors had died on mine and was messing up the EPS calculations. Replaced the rack under warranty and it feels like new again.
Thanks for your insight.
Old 11-02-12, 02:15 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richf
I have a IS250 AWD with F-Sport springs/shocks that is handling very poorly on normal roads, during turns, and over bumps. There's a noticeable rattle coming from the underbody of the car when driving slow over a bumpy road – and that's in conjunction with the floaty, "unconnected" feeling.

When I first got the parts installed, it handled like a dream.

What parts would one check with the symptoms above? CV boots, shocks, end links, bushings, bearings, etc?

Thanks
CV boots would only be a factor if the car was lowered under 25" from the ground to the top of the wheel well based on what people have been saying on the boards here when I was researching lowering springs and coilovers. This is because lowering the car past the 25" mark will cause the CV boots to tear and would then leak a fluid or grease (I forget which ); since you have the F-Sport springs, that won't be the issue since the F-Sport springs are a mild drop of an inch all around or close to it.

Shocks could be a possibility, best way to check that is to go the hood or trunk of the car and just push down on the car and see how quickly does the car settle after a few downward pushes (put enough to make the suspension bounce, but not enough to dent anything ). If it takes a few seconds to settle, then the shocks are probably bad and they probably installed bad shocks from the beginning. The shocks could be what is producing the floaty feeling besides the springs; the springs because of their progressive nature (as opposed to the linear nature of the OEM springs) will make the car feel a bit floaty over dips.

Also, look into what configt said with the steering rack and the electric power steering. It never hurts to look at all the options.

I wanted to do this suspension setup when my stock shocks are worn out on my 250 AWD, so I'm hoping the best for you and report back on what you find out with your car.

Last edited by knguyenk; 11-02-12 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
Old 11-02-12, 02:25 PM
richf
Rookie

Originally Posted by knguyenk
CV boots would only be a factor if the car was lowered under 25" from the ground to the top of the wheel well based on what people have been saying on the boards here when I was researching lowering springs and coilovers. This is because lowering the car past the 25" mark will cause the CV boots to tear and would then leak a fluid or grease (I forget which ); since you have the F-Sport springs, that won't be the issue since the F-Sport springs are a mild drop of an inch all around or close to it.

Shocks could be a possibility, best way to check that is to go the hood or trunk of the car and just push down on the car and see how quickly does the car settle after a few downward pushes (put enough to make the suspension bounce, but not enough to dent anything ). If it takes a few seconds to settle, then the shocks are probably bad and they probably installed bad shocks from the beginning. The shocks could be what is producing the floaty feeling besides the springs; the springs because of their progressive nature (as opposed to the linear nature of the OEM springs) will make the car feel a bit floaty over dips.

Also, look into what configt said with the steering rack and the electric power steering. It never hurts to look at all the options.

I wanted to do this suspension setup when my stock shocks are worn out on my 250 AWD, so I'm hoping the best for you and report back on what you find out with your car.
Don't get me wrong, upon first install – the set up was amazing. Something is just off now... not sure what. Waiting for the hurricane damage to calm down and the dealership to open.

Don't let this deter you from getting the setup.
Old 11-03-12, 03:44 PM
richf
Rookie

Update: Bolt on the outer tie rod end (driver front) was extremely loose – seemed to make a little bit of difference, but feeling is still there.
Old 11-03-12, 09:15 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Don't get me wrong, upon first install – the set up was amazing. Something is just off now... not sure what. Waiting for the hurricane damage to calm down and the dealership to open.

Don't let this deter you from getting the setup.
I would still definitely look into the F-Sport springs and shocks when my stock shocks or springs go belly up and possibly the sways too if I have the money.

Update: Bolt on the outer tie rod end (driver front) was extremely loose – seemed to make a little bit of difference, but feeling is still there.
That's interesting, I wonder if there are other nuts and bolts loose from things that had to be loosened or even disconnected in order to facilitate the installation of the shocks and springs.
Old 11-04-12, 11:18 AM
richf
Rookie

I would still definitely look into the F-Sport springs and shocks when my stock shocks or springs go belly up and possibly the sways too if I have the money.

That's interesting, I wonder if there are other nuts and bolts loose from things that had to be loosened or even disconnected in order to facilitate the installation of the shocks and springs.
Wasn't from the installation - I've had them on for almost a year, must've been from an alignment or something.

IS250 AWD not handling well-y2t0s.jpg

Bolt circled was VERY loose – dangerous.
Old 11-04-12, 12:06 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Wasn't from the installation - I've had them on for almost a year, must've been from an alignment or something.

Bolt circled was VERY loose – dangerous.
That's definitely dangerous that that nut wasn't tightened on that tire rod. I can't help but think that something wasn't tightened down during the installation. I know the rears for sure have so many bolts and nuts that need to be torqued at different values.

Here are the installation instructions for the shocks and springs respectively; I have a feeling that they were not torqued to specifications and is what is making your car act unusual.

http://is.sewellparts.com/pdf/PTR13AWD.pdf
http://is.sewellparts.com/pdf/PTR0753080.pdf
Old 11-04-12, 01:49 PM
richf
Rookie

That's definitely dangerous that that nut wasn't tightened on that tire rod. I can't help but think that something wasn't tightened down during the installation. I know the rears for sure have so many bolts and nuts that need to be torqued at different values.

Here are the installation instructions for the shocks and springs respectively; I have a feeling that they were not torqued to specifications and is what is making your car act unusual.

http://is.sewellparts.com/pdf/PTR13AWD.pdf
http://is.sewellparts.com/pdf/PTR0753080.pdf
Thanks buddy, going to ask the dealer to re-torque everything.
Old 11-16-12, 11:22 AM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Thanks buddy, going to ask the dealer to re-torque everything.
Any updates to your F-Sport suspension setup?
Old 11-23-12, 11:09 AM
richf
Rookie

No updates — with hurricane Sandy and holiday week, I haven't been able to get to the dealership.

Hopefully next week.
Old 12-06-12, 04:46 PM
richf
Rookie

Problem solved!

Excessive free play found in both front strut tops – got replaced, car is phenomenal now.
Old 12-09-12, 05:10 PM
jasonart
Rookie

I have a 2007 IS250 AWD with 96K and am looking to replace the shocks to get a smoother ride.

At Sewell, F-SPort shocks are cheaper than the regular OEM shocks. My question is . . . Is it OK to install F-Sport shocks with the stock springs? If so, are there any other parts or bushing that should also be replaced? I have seen the other thread where some did use F-sport with OEM springs and they said it was riding good but I thought I would ask here too since this is an active thread.

I live in Minnesota and not looking to lower the car at all. I just want a comfortable ride and of course, responsive would be an added bonus.

Are coilovers used only for lowering the car or can they be used as an all in one replacement? How long do coilovers last with daily driving? Are they specific to performance meaning they are intense for a while and should then get replaced for a new set?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 12-10-12, 07:26 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Problem solved!

Excessive free play found in both front strut tops – got replaced, car is phenomenal now.
That's excellent! That is good that they were able to find the source of your issue. You should think about doing a review with your suspension setup; I don't see any AWD F-Sport shocks and springs reviews, but more with H&R springs and F-Sport shocks.

Originally Posted by jasonart
I have a 2007 IS250 AWD with 96K and am looking to replace the shocks to get a smoother ride.

At Sewell, F-SPort shocks are cheaper than the regular OEM shocks. My question is . . . Is it OK to install F-Sport shocks with the stock springs? If so, are there any other parts or bushing that should also be replaced? I have seen the other thread where some did use F-sport with OEM springs and they said it was riding good but I thought I would ask here too since this is an active thread.

I live in Minnesota and not looking to lower the car at all. I just want a comfortable ride and of course, responsive would be an added bonus.

Are coilovers used only for lowering the car or can they be used as an all in one replacement? How long do coilovers last with daily driving? Are they specific to performance meaning they are intense for a while and should then get replaced for a new set?

Thanks,
Jason
Switching from OEM to F-Sport shocks with OEM springs is completely fine. The only thing that you will probably notice quite immediately after the change is that the ride will be stiffer/harsher (thanks to the higher damping rate of the shocks) but should settle afterward. Coilovers are not just lowering your car (though that is usually its intended purpose), it can be used to adjust the rate of damping so the ride can be soft or hard depending on the situation. Coilovers life depends on the coilover itself, I heard a few last only 50-60k miles. Also, coilovers on an AWD are subjected to clunking noises going through bumps and CV boots tearing depending on how low you are (I think you had to be 25" from the ground to the highest part of the wheel well/fender.

Last edited by knguyenk; 12-10-12 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Fixing grammar and finish answering a question.