Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

sc300 cornering machine

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-02, 03:22 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm. maybe since the daizen bars are thicker and built for the SC that it would be a better purchase...

If i get the daizen bars would i need to get all the bushings and everything else like TME has on the website? what does the control arm bushings do exactly?

So PCMW what exactly did you buy from Daizen that you are going to test? So i know what i need and what i dont.

Kevin
Old 12-07-02, 03:36 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Kevin,

The sway bar set includes the sway bar bushings. The control arm bushing are for the lower and upper front control arms. They tend to wear out and cause several problems. The dealer does not sell this part and therefore wants $700+install to fix the issue. The new bushings perform a ton better and reduce the massive slop in the turn-in. Do a search for control arm or bushing and you will find my install pics.

MW
Old 12-07-02, 04:23 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

yah i already did a search for the bushings, found the pics, etc... do you think i should buy those too along with the other stuff?
Old 12-07-02, 04:35 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

YES..YES..YES

I think that if you have all the best components and tighten the setup dramtically, these bushings will drive you insane. What happens is that the geometry of a lower and stiffer suspension cause the bushings to wear on their side walls. This is based on their vertical design with the side slots. So what happens is that you get some ugly movement up and down when the suspension should only flex in and out. This bushings in that situation will last about 6 months at most before it is absolutely destroyed.

MW
Old 12-07-02, 05:20 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

did the supra wheels fit your car without any mods?

i ahve the stock 92 wheels on my car...and was looking to upgrade to gs400/is300 17s only

but if the supra wheels work...i would like to get that instead..how much should i be paying..and got any pics???

thjanks
Old 12-07-02, 05:26 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Ryan,

Supra rims fit perfectly. Lex400sc has them and they look nice with the fat width in the rear. They seem to run between 500-1000 depending on condition/tires/chrome.

You can check them out when we have our nor-cal mini-meet.

MW
Old 12-07-02, 05:38 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

thansk bro....so i will be on the lookout for supra rims then

so new mod list

1)cd changer
2)supra rims
3)lowering

cant wait to meet you guys

yeah i just PMed lexsc400 right now, after seeing his car in the handling/suspension forum:eek:
Old 12-07-02, 05:39 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

actually on second thought, forget about the cd changer

need rims/lowering first.....

<---performance junkie at heart
Old 12-07-02, 06:19 PM
lexcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

yes the rims fit perfectly. i have 255 tires all around (i got a good deal thats why they arent staggered), and they seem to grip the road insanly.

I noticed that on suprastore.com that they have the TEIN coilovers for sale along with front and rear pillow mounts. Do you think that i am going to need those also? WHat exactly do those do also?

Kevin
Old 12-07-02, 07:35 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

hey lexcoupe you got any pics of your car??
Old 12-12-02, 03:26 PM
wmulli
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by pcmw
Overclocker,

I agree with that sentiment. Sway bars should take a car to a balance. Stock is slushy and comfy, takes turns with boat like smoothness. TRD is rough and squirly, tough to trust because once you take the car a hair past the outside limit, you are dead. The car unloads both suspension points and the tires give up.
Hmmmm... I think I have to take exception with this statement. I think it very much depends on your wheels/tires. I have the TRDs and I think they're about as perfect as you could hope for. They are balanced, predictable and well behaved in turns, and hardly noticable outside of the turns. If your tires don't give you any warning they're about to let go, (a common complaint), you can't put that on the sway bars. I'm running the Bridgestone S03 Pole Positions and I absolutely *LOVE* them!! Great in the rain, *AWESOME* on dry roads. Very grippy, but great feedback, even when you're drifting

I want to test the Daizens to find out if the suspension will handle better but add a predictable and balanced response. The goal is that when I start a turn and set the car on its line, I can feel the four corners.

MW
That was my goal as well, and I think I'm there The other trick is to stagger the sizes of your front/rear tires/wheels to get the balance you want. I'm running 225/40/18's on 18x9's up front (but considering 245's for more braking), and 285/30/18's on 18x10's in the rear. Also running the Supra Eibachs and the KYB AGX setup with the AGX's set at 2 in the front and 1 (lightest) in the rear. AWESOME drifting
Old 12-12-02, 03:58 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

wmulli,

I understand where you are coming from. TRD's are nice... but maybe not the "perfect" you describe them to be.
have the TRDs and I think they're about as perfect as you could hope for.
I am not questioning your authority on this matter, but merely trying to obtain some insight for a write up that I am doing. Do you have any figures? Have you tested any other sway bar setups? Other than your rims, springs, and shocks, have you changed anything else? What is your justification for the 225 width tire up front? That is pretty skinny... Which TRD's did you purchase, the street or race? If you set the car up with no staggered wheels, would you not be able to drift? Too much oversteer? Is that because the bars were made for a hatchback with different weight balance? Or is that because of the different chassis flex that the SC has?

Any information you may have would be helpful. I await your details. Thanks

MW