Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Best Handling/Looking suspension compromise for BAD roads (NYC)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 08:17 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Best Handling/Looking suspension compromise for BAD roads (NYC)

Greetings,
I have a few minor front end and suspension things to do on my 95 SC400 but after reading everything I could find, I'M MORE CONFUSED!
My dilemma..... I love the look of a lowered ride but NYC roads will destroy my car. Adjustable air stuff is too pricy for me.
What will look nice but handle the NYC bumps on my daily driver.
I'm lost as to wheel size, shocks/springs etc.

What are the guys in NYC or other bad road towns rolling with?

(i am not willing to beat my car and kidneys up much for style....... maybe a lil tho;-)

Last edited by Studiogeek; 12-25-12 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-19-12, 08:40 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Espelir ASD springs and some tokico or kyb shocks, with some larger wheels to fill the fender gap.

I drive on ASD's and tokico blue's 44 miles everyday on the belt parkway & bqe and its pretty good. I had coilovers before and it felt terrible, yeah I could slam it and have stiff suspension but it's my daily driver, not a race car.

Or, save up for the air suspension I guess.
Old 12-19-12, 08:57 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Candela
Espelir ASD springs and some tokico or kyb shocks, with some larger wheels to fill the fender gap.

I drive on ASD's and tokico blue's 44 miles everyday on the belt parkway & bqe and its pretty good. I had coilovers before and it felt terrible, yeah I could slam it and have stiff suspension but it's my daily driver, not a race car.

Or, save up for the air suspension I guess.
I'm going to price those now! Thanks!
Is there a difference between the KYB and Tokico shock? any preference?
Excuse the noob question but are adjustable gas shocks by them helpful?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 12-19-12 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-19-12, 09:06 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Seems like more people prefer tokico over kyb, saying that tokico's are stiffer and that kyb is just an OE replacement. Supra front shocks seem to be the same as on an SC, something I've been thinking of doing is using tokico adjustable illumina FRONT shocks, to help prevent bottoming out and to match the front ASD spring rates a little better.

Espelir ASD springs are hard to find new, but come up used often, most people start with them as their first upgrade, then switch over to coilovers. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Old 12-19-12, 06:11 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gixxer drew set up or even bilstein struts and supra springs lowers it a bit, obviously lowering springs would drop it even more
Old 12-19-12, 08:04 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Seems like more people prefer tokico over kyb, saying that tokico's are stiffer and that kyb is just an OE replacement. Supra front shocks seem to be the same as on an SC, something I've been thinking of doing is using tokico adjustable illumina FRONT shocks, to help prevent bottoming out and to match the front ASD spring rates a little better.

Espelir ASD springs are hard to find new, but come up used often, most people start with them as their first upgrade, then switch over to coilovers. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Thank You!
I'm looking for the illuminata and Espelir ASD springs now.
Old 12-19-12, 08:43 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rcchris7
Gixxer drew set up or even bilstein struts and supra springs lowers it a bit, obviously lowering springs would drop it even more
Thank You!
Checking into those as well.
Old 12-20-12, 10:08 AM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM Supra 93.5-96 TT Springs shocks and sway bars. Some 18" wheels with the proper offset. And don't go cheap on tires.
Old 12-20-12, 10:39 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

OEM tt bars arent any bigger than SC bars, iirc the rear TT bar is still smaller in diameter than the SC bar. Don't see how those can benefit handling. Aftermarket adjustable TT bars are a different story however...
Old 12-20-12, 01:19 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kw's would be a nice coilover set with adjustable ride and damping, as long as you don't want to go too low.
Old 12-21-12, 08:25 AM
hmhatch
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

OEM tt bars arent any bigger than SC bars, iirc the rear TT bar is still smaller in diameter than the SC bar. Don't see how those can benefit handling. Aftermarket adjustable TT bars are a different story however...
Click and read:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.dmQ&cad=rja
Old 12-21-12, 02:25 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Although they are the same diameter its still an upgrade?
Old 12-23-12, 06:36 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

]So much to study LOL, This car has put me in "school" for a solid month. :-)

I am leaning towards the TT springs and shocks. I am looking into the sway bars as well.

I am getting lot's of different info on the springs (as i'd expect).
Several have said ASD lowering springs with Tokico shocks.
A guy who sells shocks and springs AND is from NYC told me not to lower the car at all and seems quite hard to ignore. He could have gotten a bigger sale adding lowering springs but discouraged them.
I am surely increasing the size of the 17" wheels to 18" or 19" (The 17's look tiny and funny from the side view).
I am surely changing the shocks. I have been told I should replace springs while I am in there.
Should I consider getting the OEM springs and putting them in while I do the shocks (instead of lowering springs).
At 115K, are the springs generally in a state where one would really benefit from changing them? (i was told that they last for the life of the car)
Will fresh, strong OEM springs RAISE the car even MORE?

Can anyone with the ASD/Tokico setup in NYC care to elaborate on how they work out for them here?
Old 12-24-12, 01:50 PM
SEXC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcchris7

This would be my first choice due to price. If you want a smoother ride you can always go with a softer spring.

One of the best but expensive coilovers for bumpy roads are KW's. My friend has a set on his car and it rode beautifully so I purchased some. I hope to have them installed by next week.
Old 12-25-12, 01:32 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SEXC
This would be my first choice due to price. If you want a smoother ride you can always go with a softer spring.

One of the best but expensive coilovers for bumpy roads are KW's. My friend has a set on his car and it rode beautifully so I purchased some. I hope to have them installed by next week.
Thank You.
Please let us know how those KW's work out on the bumps.

Quick Reply: Best Handling/Looking suspension compromise for BAD roads (NYC)