Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS430 L-Tuned what do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-02, 08:42 AM
Russ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question GS430 L-Tuned what do I have?

I've just purchased a 2001 GS 430 with the L-Tuned package badging. However, how can I tell exactly what has been done to the car. Here is what I know

1- Exhaust has been changed with larger tips and mufflers
2- Body kit with side skirts and different grill and maybe bumper
3 - Looks like maybe the car has been lowered
4 - Chrome Lexus 17" wheels

I think there are different levels for the L-Tuned packages so I'm curious if springs and shocks have been changed.

Thanks whoever can shed some light on this. BTW, I took the car to the strip and best time I could get is a 14.6 at 96 mph. I'm not use to launching an automatic off the line so that sucked.
Old 12-11-02, 09:13 AM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrads on your new car and welcome to the site.

Seems like you struck gold. If you got a good price on the car, than you already got all these mods for free which if you paid individually with labor cost could run up to 3k.

You should really post a picture of the car. Since you never driven a stock GS, you really have nothing to compare against to your L-tuned vehicle. It could be stage 1 or stage 2. For more info go to www.l-tuned.com

Mind sharing what kind of deal you got on your car?
Old 12-11-02, 03:06 PM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Sounds as if you have L-Tuned mufflers, springs and shocks. The L-Tuned springs will lower the car 1.25", though the appearance is actually greater.

There is an L-Tuned steering ECU which has the same part # as the stock unit on the 01 and up GS; Lexus maintains it's the same part, but some of the members have changed out ECUs on 01 GS430s and swear, in back to back comparisons, that there is a difference in steering feel.

The remainder of the L-Tuned stuff consists of body kit plus a selection of 18" wheels which do NOT have the stock 17" look. Looks like you got everything but the 18s!!

Outstanding!
Old 12-11-02, 05:57 PM
UTGS400
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by mooretorque

The remainder of the L-Tuned stuff consists of body kit plus a selection of 18" wheels which do NOT have the stock 17" look. Looks like you got everything but the 18s!!
Correction: L-Tuned offers 1 sets of 17" wheels and 1 set of 18"s wheels.

Congrats on your new vehicle..you are going to love it!!

Last edited by UTGS400; 12-12-02 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-11-02, 09:05 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Don't feel bad about your 1/4 times either, theres some people here with more mods than you and can't hit those times. So first time to the track and hitting a 14.6 Is great!!!
Old 12-12-02, 01:30 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Welcome Russ. Where in NC are you located? If you're near Charlotte we can meet up sometime and confirm all the below pretty easily.

1 - You've either got L-tuned exhaust or just L-tuned tips. Most likely the exhaust given the other stuff done to your GS. Does the car sound good, or does it like a vacuum cleaner

2 - L-tuned bodykit has skirts and grill. Bumper is the same unless the previous owner changed it to an aftermarket type

3 - You most likely have the L-tuned springs and shocks, which will lower as folks mention above

4 - There are 17" l-tuned wheels, but I don't think they are chromed. You likely have standard 5-spoke chrome 17" wheels, which are also an option.

17" L-tuned wheels have this design:

The wheels I'm guessing you have look like this:

Congrats on your new GS, welcome to ClubLexus!

Last edited by DaveGS4; 12-12-02 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-12-02, 03:35 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Minor nitpick. L-Tuned offers 1 17" wheel and 1 18" wheel. They offer the 17s in two different tires. I think DaveGS4 is right in that you probably do not have the L-Tuned wheels.

Oh, and welcome.
Old 12-12-02, 06:43 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Red face

Neo, Dave, UT: thanks for pointing out my error/brainfart. What WAS I thinking?????

My only excuse (other than natural stupidity) is that the heating element burned out on the coffee pot yesterday after it had made about 1/2 cup.................aaaaggggghhhhhhhh............synapses don't fire w/o caffeine!
Old 12-12-02, 02:35 PM
Russ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for the info. I'm sure I have the full L-Tuned exhaust due to the sound of the car...SWEET. As far as the wheels, I have the standard Lexus 17" chromed wheel. I'm also sure by now that the springs and shocks are L-Tuned items as well. So looks like I've got the complete package with the exception of the wheels.

Here is a little funny story.
Last week we had a bad ice storm. I told my wife before hand about the switches for the traction control and the Snow mode if she gets caught in it. Well, I get a call from her as she is trying to get home from work. She is scared because of the way the car is acting. I made sure she did not have the TC off and the Snow mode on. However, it was useless trying to calm her down over the cell phone. She finally parked the car and refused to go any further and called someone to pick her up. To make a long story short, after I questioned her she said she keep pressing the gas and the car would not go any faster. I asked how far did you press it, she said TO THE FLOOR!!! and the dash lit up with a sliding car icon and buzzers going off.......etc...etc... I just had to laugh at her telling this story. I then explained to her that the car was doing exactly what it should be doing. Lesson 2 this weekend for her will be the application of ABS brakes.