Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

How do you get old brake system like new again...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-13, 09:50 AM
Lexus082
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you get old brake system like new again...

On newer cars I can't help to notice the brakes are extremely tight and you can stop on a dime. As the car ages the brakes just aren't the same. Even after replacing the front and rear pads & rotors it helps a good deal, but the brake system still doesn't compare or come close to how the brakes feel on a new car.

I'm thinking there must be either one thing that is responsible for the brakes to feel "aged" or maybe its a combination of a couple components of the brake system that are worn. So i'm trying to figure out what would have the greatest impact if i were to replace a part or parts of the brake system.

Would a new master cylinder make a noticeable difference. Would it "tighten" the brakes up so to speak? And over time could aged brake hoses cause the braking power to fade. I'm not trying to do any upgrades to the brake system, just replacing it with the oem part. My guess would be to replace the master cylinder and the rubber brake lines. I performed the brake booster test and it passed the test. Can the brake booster wear over time diminishing the braking power but still pass the test?

Has anyone still had a "working" master cylinder and replaced it with a new master cylinder? If so, were there any improvements?
Old 01-15-13, 11:07 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

First off, is it an SC300 or SC400? I see a lot of people say that the SC300's braking system really sucks compared to the SC400. That's why people upgrade to either '95+ LS400 front brake calipers or the MKIV Supra front brake calipers. My SC400's brakes were pretty good as far as I can remember. Never really had issues with it until the brake lines cracked, pads worn, rotors warped, booster started leaking air, then I just decided to do the whole shebang. So I upgraded the brake lines to Goodridge stainless steel braided, LS400 brake calipers, slotted rotors, new master cylinder and booster, and the most important part was to flush the old brake fluid completely, which I would first suggest doing if you're not having issues with anything else. And after I did all of that, my brake performance is just phenomenal. It definitely stops at a shorter distance, stops more smoothly too I may add. Good luck.
Old 01-15-13, 12:56 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

rebuild calipers, and flush the brake fluids. Thats as new as it can get.
Old 01-17-13, 02:14 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have noisy brakes.
A "clink clank" sound when I´m on irregular roads. If I push a little the brake the noise goes off.
What should I replace to get rid of that?
Old 01-17-13, 02:19 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Do you hear it inside the cabin or outside the car?
Old 01-17-13, 02:54 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

outside, if I lightly apply the brake pedal, they shut.
Old 01-17-13, 04:49 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Just wanna make sure we're on the same page, so you're sure it's more of a clanking sound than a squeaking or squealing sound? And does the sound go with the wheels rotation or just a steady constant sound once brakes is applied? If so, it might be worn brake pads or loose bolts somewhere in the suspension that reacts when the car is slowing down.
Old 01-18-13, 09:06 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Definitely brakes. Pads are new, maybe I need to tighten/replace something but idk what.
Old 02-19-13, 05:54 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
Definitely brakes. Pads are new, maybe I need to tighten/replace something but idk what.
That's normal when going over bumpy or rough roads, you can only really hear them go clank when your windows are down right? Because mine is the same way.
Since there's very little pressure on the calipers and pads when you're just rolling along with no pressure on the brake pedal, they will make clunking sounds. It becomes more pronounced as the pad wears since there is more play between the pads and the rotors. All the cars I've had have done this, nothing to worry about.
Old 02-19-13, 09:26 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

new brake master cylinder, steel braided brake lines, rebuilt calipers/LS calipers, new rotors, aggressive pads
Old 02-20-13, 12:28 PM
johnyTran
Driver School Candidate

check the metal tabs that hold the pads in place they tend to move around if not installed properly. they may be out of position and thats why they quit when brakes applied