Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilover suggestion for IS250 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 12:53 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfrt
So a few more questions then. I have a 2008 IS250 AWD and will soon be getting BCs with Swift Springs, hopefully by next week.
1) do I need an alignment after installing? If so, anything I need to know or straightforward alignment?
2) how much can I/should I lower given it's AWD if I don't want to bring on any CV or other issues, but still want an improved ride and improved look?
3) I currently have 16" winters on it, and then 17" summers (all-seasons actually). How does the seasonal change impact things (i.e. My selected ride height and requirement for an alignment)?

As you may be able to tell, I've been an all-stock guy my whole life - this is my first foray into this stuff so I'd really appreciate your expertise.
1- You definitely need an alignment after installing. Make sure your car is sitting level (side to side) after your done messing with the heights. Front and rear heights are your preference.

2- They say anything above 25" from ground to fender is the "safe height".. there are others that run lower with no problems and some with vibrations etc. If you want.. start by lowering your car an inch.. see how it feels.. if its alright.. considering lowering it more.. such is the beauty of Coils.. May i suggest doing this first before you get an alignment.. (a few days or so should be enough to sway your thoughts)

3- If your rolling diameters (overall diameter of your rim + tire) (25.16 approximatley for stock wheels) are the same on your winter to summer wheels (they should be as close as possible for odometer and speed purposes) then you won't have to change anything as far as your alignment is concerned

Last edited by SeanO; 01-20-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-20-14, 01:30 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfrt
So a few more questions then. I have a 2008 IS250 AWD and will soon be getting BCs with Swift Springs, hopefully by next week.
1) do I need an alignment after installing? If so, anything I need to know or straightforward alignment?
2) how much can I/should I lower given it's AWD if I don't want to bring on any CV or other issues, but still want an improved ride and improved look?
3) I currently have 16" winters on it, and then 17" summers (all-seasons actually). How does the seasonal change impact things (i.e. My selected ride height and requirement for an alignment)?

As you may be able to tell, I've been an all-stock guy my whole life - this is my first foray into this stuff so I'd really appreciate your expertise.
1. yes, roughly 200-300km after, go to altech or ksl depending on what area you're in
2. do not go lower than 24.5" fender-ground, but since toronto road conditions are so crap i'd stay at 25 to be safe...i would raise back a little higher like 25.5 to look better else the front gonna have a bigger gap than rear
3. don't lower when you're on your snow tires...the tires are soft and hence causing the car to sit lower...wait til ur on ur 17's...that way you can get more acurate measurement

Last edited by reyoasian; 02-06-14 at 07:00 AM.
Old 01-20-14, 02:07 PM
SeanO
Instructor

installing yourself?
Old 01-20-14, 06:51 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Aussie Auto, authorized Lexus Master Mechanic

Getting everything done together, and he's one of the only few non-dealership places that has TechStream to calibrate the steering ECU

Last edited by reyoasian; 01-20-14 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-22-14, 03:11 PM
SeanO
Instructor

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Aussie Auto, authorized Lexus Master Mechanic

Getting everything done together, and he's one of the only few non-dealership places that has TechStream to calibrate the steering ECU

I'm very interested in this place.. I wanna have a few things done but don't wanna take my car right to Lexus (stealership).. what all have you had done by this shop?!
Old 01-23-14, 07:08 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Haven't been there yet will be first time but from reviews he's a legit and clean guy and my friend with his IS350 has been going there for everything. Very popular in GTA for Toyota/Lexus since he's certified.

There's also Bullock in the east-end, but it's a little more pricey there.
Old 01-28-14, 06:02 AM
Sfrt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really appreciate the helpful advice and info, thanks! Kit should arrive in a day or two now ...

Originally Posted by SeanO
1- You definitely need an alignment after installing. Make sure your car is sitting level (side to side) after your done messing with the heights. Front and rear heights are your preference.

2- They say anything above 25" from ground to fender is the "safe height".. there are others that run lower with no problems and some with vibrations etc. If you want.. start by lowering your car an inch.. see how it feels.. if its alright.. considering lowering it more.. such is the beauty of Coils.. May i suggest doing this first before you get an alignment.. (a few days or so should be enough to sway your thoughts)

3- If your rolling diameters (overall diameter of your rim + tire) (25.16 approximatley for stock wheels) are the same on your winter to summer wheels (they should be as close as possible for odometer and speed purposes) then you won't have to change anything as far as your alignment is concerned
Old 01-28-14, 06:06 AM
Sfrt
Driver

+1 on Rick at Aussie Auto. I had my big 96K service done there (spark plugs, etc) and saved a pretty penny over dealer cost. Only downside, if it matters to you, is it's a significantly different experience than the comfy Lexus lounge (and you don't get a nice Lexus loaner). He's a good guy, qualified and competent and much cheaper than dealer.

Originally Posted by SeanO
I'm very interested in this place.. I wanna have a few things done but don't wanna take my car right to Lexus (stealership).. what all have you had done by this shop?!
Old 01-28-14, 06:08 AM
Sfrt
Driver

Thanks again for all your helpful advice!

Originally Posted by reyoasian
1. yes, roughly 200-300km after, go to altech or ksl depending on what area you're in
2. do not go lower than 24.5" fender-ground, but since toronto road conditions are so crap i'd stay at 25 to be safe...i would raise back a little higher like 25.5 to look better else the front gonna have a bigger gap than rear
3. don't lower when you're on your snow tires...the tires are soft and hence causing the car to sit lower...wait til ur on ur 17's...that way you can get more acurate measurement

downtown lexus, probably over now since i got them a while ago just waiting for a good time to install everything
Old 06-13-14, 10:09 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Forgot about this thread lol so the work was done (end of April), Rick and his buddy were great. Haven't had any issues with clunking or anything since I left his place. They were fast too considering the amount of work that was being done. Definitely going back there for my 96K (km) service, which reminds me so might as well ask here...what's in the 96K (60K) service?

I'm thinking:
* typical oil change, filter, etc.
* brake fluid flush
* brake pad/rotor change (estimate would be roughly done by then)
* tranny flush
* spark plugs
* intake manifold cleaning (might as well get it done when the spark plugs are being done)
* differential flush (awd; thought i might as well do it early since i'm doing other stuff too...want that smooth shift)
* coolant (???)

what else??!
Old 06-24-14, 09:32 PM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Received 91 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to revive a old thread, but was wondering how low can u go with 18s with coils on awd without messing up ur car?
Old 06-25-14, 05:19 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been at 25" fender to floor for about a year and a half now with no issues. I used to get the wobble during acceleration from a stop, but that went away once I got an alignment. I still have the vibration but it's barely noticeable. None of my passengers ever say anything about it, and they only notice if I bring it to their attention.
Old 06-25-14, 05:32 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sm1ke
I've been at 25" fender to floor for about a year and a half now with no issues. I used to get the wobble during acceleration from a stop, but that went away once I got an alignment. I still have the vibration but it's barely noticeable. None of my passengers ever say anything about it, and they only notice if I bring it to their attention.
can you post a picture of your car?
Old 06-25-14, 05:57 AM
sm1ke
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RDIS250AWD
can you post a picture of your car?
Sure, but they're all cellphone pics.

Most recent:

Side shots (2nd one was shot at a weird angle):

Old 06-25-14, 06:05 AM
RDIS250AWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sm1ke
Sure, but they're all cellphone pics.

Most recent:

Side shots (2nd one was shot at a weird angle):

that works thanks bro, ordered coils yesterday hopefully I can go just a little lower

Quick Reply: Coilover suggestion for IS250 AWD