Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Dropped on F-sport springs and 18s...Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-13, 08:19 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Boostd
Just considered using Fsport springs with stock shocks. Comments. Really confused after reading this but dont want to go coil overs. Is this a bad idea? Thanks. Hard to tell with so many opinions on here.
If you want to drop your car, why even bother with Fsport springs? You wont notice the difference.

Why dont you want to go with coilovers? They are superior to springs in every way
Old 02-04-13, 08:32 AM
ohiois350
Pole Position

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by knguyenk
The F-Sport shocks have a higher dampening rate, that contributes the stiffer ride for most that do the combo upgrade and the spring's floaty feeling is due to the progressive spring rate.

Could it be that your springs are the ones with the clunking issue? They have a revised version that removes the clunking sound but I'm not sure if that will fix the "doesn't have shocks" feeling.
even with the revised springs they still have a clunk noise (which I have revised springs) the noise is from the passenger rear, and I think people who have BC coils still have that corner clunk too, but the clunk from my experiment is only I heard it when I go over speed bump, not the from the pothhole, sound like it clunk from the rebound of the spring?, but other than that I don't issues with clunk noise.
Old 02-04-13, 11:50 AM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
You should sell those springs and get a set of coilovers. Unlike springs, you can adjust your ride height and comfort level with coils.

Ive heard others have ride comfort issues with the fsport springs and shocks too. The Fsports barely drop the car at all. If you didnt say you had springs, I would think your car was at stock height
Ha...typical AWD problem! Springs only help our cars transform from 4x4 to "normal" car height
Old 02-04-13, 11:51 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by reyoasian
Ha...typical AWD problem! Springs only help our cars transform from 4x4 to "normal" car height
Even more of a reason to get coils!
Old 02-04-13, 12:24 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Well it looks awesome with fsport springs so Im good with that. its the ride and clunking sounds that im not happy with. ordered the shocks hoping that will solve the issue...maybe its the way the shop installed it? i would go to lexus but i dont want to pay them for something that wont really fix the issue...anyway how are they about shocks and springs ? any warranty issues?
Old 02-04-13, 12:36 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silvaIS
Well it looks awesome with fsport springs so Im good with that. its the ride and clunking sounds that im not happy with. ordered the shocks hoping that will solve the issue...maybe its the way the shop installed it? i would go to lexus but i dont want to pay them for something that wont really fix the issue...anyway how are they about shocks and springs ? any warranty issues?
For the price of the Fsport springs + shocks alone, you could have gotten a nice set of coils

Ive heard a lot of people complain about the fsport springs even with the shocks.

And what do you mean warranty issues? I think if a Lexus dealer installs the parts, you have a 2 year warranty on them. Def not worth the money because they will charge you $$$$$ for the install
Old 02-04-13, 12:49 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

I had a local guy put the springs on but im not sure if he knows about compression rate and etc...
Old 02-04-13, 12:56 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by silvaIS
I had a local guy put the springs on but im not sure if he knows about compression rate and etc...
Then you have a 1 year warranty on the parts since it wasnt installed by lexus btw
Old 02-04-13, 01:52 PM
knguyenk
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ohiois350
even with the revised springs they still have a clunk noise (which I have revised springs) the noise is from the passenger rear, and I think people who have BC coils still have that corner clunk too, but the clunk from my experiment is only I heard it when I go over speed bump, not the from the pothhole, sound like it clunk from the rebound of the spring?, but other than that I don't issues with clunk noise.
When I got my IS from Carmax back 11 months ago, I remember going over a steep speed bump that would make a clunking or a popping sort of a sound. I immediately thought of the stock shocks and springs that were making the noise due to the amount of suspension travel I got going over the bump. I eventually conditioned myself to slow down at that particular speed bump and when I accidently go over that bump quickly it doesn't make that sound anymore. Which makes me believe that the shocks/springs or both were replaced when I got them and didn't settle until I drove over the speed bumps. I hope that the shocks will help your particular issue.
Old 02-04-13, 01:58 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bob4256
Even more of a reason to get coils!
Lately been reading a lot of issues with cv boot leaks and severe vibration when going too low on AWD
Lowest safe height is still about 1-finger gap
Old 02-04-13, 03:16 PM
Uda880
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't understand this obsession about coils - they're not for everyone, and it's essentially beating a dead horse every time this comes up. You want adjustability = coilovers, you want reliable performance with set-and-forget configurations = springs + shocks.

Btw, a lot of members have run springs + stock shock combos and there haven't been a large amount of mechanical failures. Most reports are subjective in nature, and you just have to find the right combo for comfort and performance. Have you checked whether the stock shocks are leaking or beyond their service life? Have you tried Tokico Blue's?
Old 02-04-13, 04:11 PM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Uda880
I don't understand this obsession about coils - they're not for everyone, and it's essentially beating a dead horse every time this comes up. You want adjustability = coilovers, you want reliable performance with set-and-forget configurations = springs + shocks.

Btw, a lot of members have run springs + stock shock combos and there haven't been a large amount of mechanical failures. Most reports are subjective in nature, and you just have to find the right combo for comfort and performance. Have you checked whether the stock shocks are leaking or beyond their service life? Have you tried Tokico Blue's?
Thats not the issue tho. According to the OP, ride quality is the problem

Ive heard several members complain about the ride quality on Fsport springs + stock shocks and Fsport springs + Fsport shocks
Old 02-04-13, 04:18 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

I have 13k miles on the car and have been on stock wheels for most of it, just last 1k miles i have the new wheels and now these springs
Old 02-05-13, 09:14 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Default New Development

all this shaking has been forcing my HID light bulb to pop out of place and, this is the second time i have to open it up and tighten it back into place....this never ends!!

I just brought the car into service to do the TSB on the bubbling of the headlights, lets see if they can put it back into place where it wont be popping out.
Old 02-06-13, 03:02 PM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Default came back from the dealer

Well it turns out replacing just the springs is a def no no. I blew out out my shock after a few days on the springs. The driver side shock is leaking oil. Waiting on my f-sport shocks to arrive saturday and I will have Lexus install with Alignment for about $850 all together and I will have a 1yr warranty. This way I can feel confident that I have someone to turn to if i have a problem

Quick Reply: Dropped on F-sport springs and 18s...Nightmare