Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

CL Coilover Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-13, 04:44 PM
94Soarer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question CL Coilover Help

Looking at doing the coilovers on my car. The car will not be going to the track or to a drag strip I just want to lower it a bit and will be doing some drifting here and there when I feel ballsy now with that being said would the megan racing coils work for what I want, for the price they don't seem bad but has anyone used them or can suggest something decent or better for around the same price ?
Old 03-16-13, 05:04 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Megan's ride pretty soft man, a lot of people suggest Powered By Max since its pretty stiff and it goes really low too. I think PBM specializes in drift sport too
Old 03-16-13, 05:36 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 94Soarer
Looking at doing the coilovers on my car. The car will not be going to the track or to a drag strip I just want to lower it a bit and will be doing some drifting here and there when I feel ballsy now with that being said would the megan racing coils work for what I want, for the price they don't seem bad but has anyone used them or can suggest something decent or better for around the same price ?
If you're talking about the Megan EZ coilovers (because there are 2 coils the EZ and LP) they will work fine for what you're looking to accomplish. Because A.) you're not trying to be slammed and B.) you'll have less body roll and a tighter suspension over stock setup. (I have the LP series for my SC and had the exact reason you're looking for coils in mind when I bought them and although I usually just cruise around, I have no problem getting it sideways if I'm in the mood so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do it with the EZ)

The biggest complaint about the EZ coilovers is usually that they're too soft (spring rate). Again you have to look at the price you're paying, you can't expect 2k quality coils for $600ish but I'm sure you already know that.

You're second new option in the EZ price range are the TEIN basic coils. I personally have no personal experience with the basic coils and cannot speak of how well they work. I know teins higher end coils ride very nice and I know they make a quality product but you'd probably have to read up on the reviews about the basic coils.

Another idea, I know here in NorCal you can occasionally find some older HKS hypermax coils or stuff of similar quality used for $400-750 in varying conditions on sites such as craigslist. This would probably be the easiest way you'd be able to get more expensive quality coils for the price range of new EZs. They do come up though, I believe there were some PBM coils w/ only a few k miles on them for like $750? in the CL classifieds not to long ago. So keep an eye out there if you decide to go that route.

Good luck in your choice of coils and I hope this helped!
Old 03-16-13, 06:05 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have EZ Streets, and thats exactly what they are for. Street setup. I think they ride great, definitely a little soft for my taste, but they ride well, and give me a decent stance. If all you're looking for is ride quality and stiffer suspension then stock, and lower it a bit. Then these are the best bang for the buck.

Shoot if I had some more money I would sell you mine, and buy some PBM's
Old 03-16-13, 06:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Moved to proper forum
Old 03-17-13, 05:48 PM
94Soarer
Rookie

seeing is how i have not bought coilovers before what do you guys mean by ride soft?