Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Swaybars and unsprung weight

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-02, 11:52 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Toylexmods,

Please do not attempt to attack me or others with your questions. If you like to add unsprung weight to your car that you do not have to do, then so be it. If you do not understand what this does to your car, then LEARN before you speak. If you cannot see clearly that EVERY post on this thread besides yours states that there IS an increase in unsprung weight then READ it again.

So...with that said, heavier is always bad, no matter what you decide to go with. Lighter is better and when you multiply out what unsprung weight does to a car, it is worse than you think.

Please dont state facts as your observations. Facts are things like weight, size, proven quanities. Can you show any proven quanities in your statements?
I think you got that exactly right. I stated facts as my observations. The facts are simply what has been written by people here in this thread. Nothing more. I do not know how proving "quanities" in my statements makes any sense either. Heavy is bad, stuff not built specifically for a vehicle is bad, and expensive is bad. Not much to prove with common sense.

Furthermore, let me ask you once more. If you feel the need to personally attack or speak out against someone elses reply...do it with PM. If you would like to ADD information to this thread...be my guess.

Thanks

MW

Last edited by pcmw; 12-22-02 at 11:58 PM.
Old 12-23-02, 12:11 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

pcmw,

Did my post come across as an attack? It was not meant as so.

"So...with that said, heavier is always bad, no matter what you decide to go with. Lighter is better and when you multiply out what unsprung weight does to a car, it is worse than you think."

Is heavier always bad? Is lighter better? Tell me where these statements come from. .5lb heavier unsprung weight approx...when combined with the other benefits from the sway bar in question...how does that equate? Have you done the calcs?

Well, were close here. Lets define facts....facts are not observations. Period. Yes, people have had lots to say about this topic. A fact is a weight, calculation, number, ect...ect. If you want to post facts then please do so.

"I think you got that exactly right. I stated facts as my observations. The facts are simply what has been written by people here in this thread. Nothing more. I do not know how proving "quanities" in my statements makes any sense either. Heavy is bad, stuff not built specifically for a vehicle is bad, and expensive is bad. Not much to prove with common sense. "
Old 12-23-02, 12:16 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

pcmw,

No, I dont see where I was attacking anyone. If you wish to post generalizations...and I have difference. I will reply to the thread. If I wish to accuse you personally of any wrong doing...then I will PM you. Isnt speaking out against or refuting anothers post the general idea of the forum?

"Furthermore, let me ask you once more. If you feel the need to personally attack or speak out against someone elses reply...do it with PM. If you would like to ADD information to this thread...be my guess."

I will ask any member reading this thread to personally PM me if he/she thinks my posts are out of line. Moderators....ditto.
Old 12-23-02, 12:17 AM
Hotgemini
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by pcmw
Toylexmods,

Please do not attempt to attack me or others with your questions. If you like to add unsprung weight to your car that you do not have to do, then so be it. If you do not understand what this does to your car, then LEARN before you speak. If you cannot see clearly that EVERY post on this thread besides yours states that there IS an increase in unsprung weight then READ it again.

So...with that said, heavier is always bad, no matter what you decide to go with. Lighter is better and when you multiply out what unsprung weight does to a car, it is worse than you think.
I don't think he attacked you in any way shape or form, he made an intelligent and valid post and you deliberately or otherwise misconstrued it.

I'm just wondering PCMW, how much do your wheels weigh? Because I suspect we will find that there will be other wheels of the same size available for a similar price which are both lighter and stiffer.... So what you've done is bolt something to your car which provides no functional benefit (over the other options) which greatly adds to the unsprung weight unnecessarily... Pots in glass houses should call the kettle black...
Old 12-23-02, 12:28 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hotgemini,

You are right hotgemini, 100% correct, wheels will make a huge difference too. That is why unsprung weight is so important. Can you explain that to toylexmod? He doesn't get that part yet.

However, sway bars serve a single purpose of improving handling. Wheel support several purposes other than go around in circles and keeping you on the crummy or nice roads (that is a funny dont laugh if you dont want to). Therefore, they have other trade offs as well. My wheels are JDM and lightweight models, winter wheels are OEM Lexus 17", and my stocks for sake of argument are on the car for long hauls...just in case you wondered. In the spirit of your "kettle black" saying, please keep your comparisons apple to apple and not sway bar to wheel.

Thanks for the comments Hotgemini. Please feel free to PM me if you need other info on my SC.

Good Day..

MW
Old 12-23-02, 12:43 AM
Hotgemini
Driver School Candidate

I don't think you'll find there is any argument that unsprung weight is bad, where the contention lies is in the suggestion that an increase of under 500grams is significant enough to come into play when considering a swaybar upgrade.

As for apples and oranges, you were trying to make a pariah out of a product for a negligible increase in unsprung mass while fitting a product which noticably increases both unsprung mass and the moment of inertia of the rotating assembly a double no-no. I think that is a more than fair comparison.
Old 12-23-02, 12:44 AM
toyokogyo
Driver School Candidate

I think the point that the starter of this thread was making is that the unsprung weight increase is in significant.

Half a pound increase would be less than one percent.

Professional racing teams running 1000lb racers would be concerned about this, but I wouldnt take anyone seriously that suggests this would make a difference in any way measureable or noticable on a 3500-4000lb luxury limo

My 2 cents
Old 12-23-02, 12:45 AM
Hotgemini
Driver School Candidate

toyokogyo, extremely well said, great minds think alike.
Old 12-23-02, 01:13 AM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hey Guys,

I can't agree more. 1/2 pound is little to worry about.

However..Whiteline said...

I'm not sure where the weight figures in this discussion came from, and I don't have my own figures at hand, but it is easy to calculate that the difference in cross sectional area between a solid 30mm bar, and a 30.1mm OD, 21mm ID (standard bar) is a fraction under double. If the standard one 8.5lb (like I said, not my figures) then a solid 30mm, all other geometry being the same, will be just under 17lb.
So until he finds his diagram or a scale, then we are really assuming or as Dave Hall put it, reporting observations as facts.

Keep in mind that people purchase lightweight lug nuts, lighter brakes, etc... to save precious pounds here and there. Not saying this is going to turn your SC into a Ferrari or make in handle like magic. But if given an alternative, why would you get solid bars? That is all....just wanting to give people info on why solid may not be a great answer.

UNSPRUNG WEIGHT Unsprung weight can be defined as: the portion of a vehicle that is not supported by the suspension (i.e. wheels, tires, brakes, various suspension items) and therefore most susceptible to road shock and cornering forces. Unsprung weight is one of the most critical factors affecting a vehicle's road holding ability. Reducing unsprung weight provides more precise steering input and improved handling characteristics.
Old 12-23-02, 02:35 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Oh,

I dont know, given the choice I choose solid bars. Given the choice again...I would do it again. I have em on my car, they are staying on my car. These are adjustable front and rear and work great. The points have been made about unsprung, sprung, this and that. Bottom line the difference in unsprung weight is nill and the added performance and road manners make the car fun to drive.

How about a pole...how many people have lightweight lug nuts out there? Please, these are 3500+ pound cars driven on the street.
Old 12-23-02, 05:13 AM
808state
Driver

Originally posted by ToyLexmods

Whiteline is coming out with suspension tuning facts. Thats all. Why dont you speak up about DW's posts? Lets stick to suspension tuning facts. Do you dispute the Whiteline facts? What about what DW had to say? Do you want to learn how a suspension works? I do. I dont care about personal rantings and generalizations. I want to know why. Thats all.
i'm with you toylexmods... i do want to get informed about NO NAME SWAY BARS. i'm not going to post anymore in this thread because as i stated before, i see no use in this thread anymore and i have no clue what you're talking about DW.

if anyone wants to get info, facts, fallicies about sway bars out there, they can click on this link.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...s&pagenumber=1

i'd have to disagree with you about whiteline (paul) not wanting to sell products...lets see, paul goes by whiteline? if i'm joe schmoo and i like whiteline, then cool. but if i'm someway associated with whiteline and i go by whiteline...then...free advertising lets not forget he did mention they were coming out with a new product for lexus cars..hmmm..

in any case, please rant & rave... i'm starting a new thread here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=68453

please post your facts there. ed-u-ma-cate me

edited to post new thread link.

Last edited by 808state; 12-23-02 at 06:13 AM.
Old 12-23-02, 12:32 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Ok,

I really dont know about this place sometimes. Now lets jump on Paul from Whiteline about some free advertising. Oh, or the fact that they are looking into developing product. Geez, we all rant around here because no manufacturers make product for our cars...but god forbid if a manufacturer comes on this board and posts anything without paying dues. Give me a break.
Old 12-23-02, 11:27 PM
Hotgemini
Driver School Candidate

If you don't mind the fact it is dominated by australians, try www.performanceforums.com, the best general car forum I've found on the net.
Old 01-07-03, 12:32 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I just found Cusco sway bars, rear and front, for the SC300. Has anyone tried these? They are priced at around $355 each.
Old 01-07-03, 12:43 PM
pcmw
Lexus Champion

Hermosa,

You are the ultimate SC enthusiast. First, you have TWO SC's. Then on your SC300 that you bought less than 6months ago, you have spent DOUBLE on upgrades than you did on the car. You are now ordering your 3rd set of suspension springs/shocks. Then you want $710 swaybars when the alternatives are all $300-500.

You should just buy your own shop and then write the car off.

MW

Last edited by pcmw; 01-07-03 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Swaybars and unsprung weight