Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Longevity of Megan EZ

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 10:06 AM
nu980
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longevity of Megan EZ

Hey Guys,

I recently learned that one of my oem shocks in the rear is leaking so i thought it'd be a good opportunity to swap it out entirely with some aftermarket coils.

I've been digging through the threads, reading the crazy amounts of comparisons between Megans and BCR but I still can't seem to make the decision.

My specific question is: will the Megan EZ last? I know this is dependent upon road conditions style of driving, wheels/tire size, aftermarket parts etc, so here's a little background
  • I have a 2006 IS350, and it's my daily commuter
  • I work in downtown Los Angeles and live in the valley so road conditions are horrible, if not the worst
  • Rarely, I take a joy rides through Mulholland to get to the beach with my boo
  • I have oem wheels with oem sized tires (bridgestone re760s)
  • I don't care about having a huge drop or being slammed, just enough to look sleek
  • i do care about having coils that'll last me another 45k miles or so
  • I do care about having a softer ride quality and a comfortable ride
  • Would prefer not to go over $1,000 on purchase

Thanks for your help!
Brian
Old 03-20-13, 10:16 AM
zmcgovern4
Auto Detailing Master

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by nu980
Hey Guys,

I recently learned that one of my oem shocks in the rear is leaking so i thought it'd be a good opportunity to swap it out entirely with some aftermarket coils.

I've been digging through the threads, reading the crazy amounts of comparisons between Megans and BCR but I still can't seem to make the decision.

My specific question is: will the Megan EZ last? I know this is dependent upon road conditions style of driving, wheels/tire size, aftermarket parts etc, so here's a little background
  • I have a 2006 IS350, and it's my daily commuter
  • I work in downtown Los Angeles and live in the valley so road conditions are horrible, if not the worst
  • Rarely, I take a joy rides through Mulholland to get to the beach with my boo
  • I have oem wheels with oem sized tires (bridgestone re760s)
  • I don't care about having a huge drop or being slammed, just enough to look sleek
  • i do care about having coils that'll last me another 45k miles or so
  • I do care about having a softer ride quality and a comfortable ride
  • Would prefer not to go over $1,000 on purchase

Thanks for your help!
Brian
So I don't have these... yet... just purchased a set from Vroomin (literally 30 minutes ago)... but I have done a good amount of research.

I have not come across any complaints of lack of durability or poor quality with these coils. They are fully adjustable, so if you want a conservative drop today but decide to slam it in 6 months - no problem. I have talked to several members who have these and they say the ride quality is excellent. As good as stock - many claim they are better feeling than stock even.

I was on the edge about lowering my IS since typically lowered cars get a reputation of riding like ****, but after all of the great reviews of these coils and BC racing coils I decided to go for it. I went with the Megans strictly because of price point. They fit my current budget and met all of my requirements.

Hope that helps some.
Old 03-20-13, 10:25 AM
nu980
Driver School Candidate

it def. does help! thanks!

my horrible assumption was that because the EZs are on the lower end of the price range for coils, that they'd be some what, not up to par (quality wise) against the rest out there...

Originally Posted by zmcgovern4
So I don't have these... yet... just purchased a set from Vroomin (literally 30 minutes ago)... but I have done a good amount of research.

I have not come across any complaints of lack of durability or poor quality with these coils. They are fully adjustable, so if you want a conservative drop today but decide to slam it in 6 months - no problem. I have talked to several members who have these and they say the ride quality is excellent. As good as stock - many claim they are better feeling than stock even.

I was on the edge about lowering my IS since typically lowered cars get a reputation of riding like ****, but after all of the great reviews of these coils and BC racing coils I decided to go for it. I went with the Megans strictly because of price point. They fit my current budget and met all of my requirements.

Hope that helps some.
Old 03-20-13, 10:40 AM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

I had them in the past (although only for 5 months) but they rode exceptionally. They have softer spring rates, which is not a concern for you if you wont be running aggressive wheels.

A good option for sure. Longevity wise, i dont know how long until they need to be rebuilt, but for ~$640, not a terrible price to replace them even with new ones again years down the road.
Old 03-20-13, 10:46 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

I too have heard nothing but good things on the EZ from Megan. and Vroomin is a good dude. Anyways like heyarms they are affordable so you could always replace down the road. IMO i would go with the BC Racing Coils but thats just my thoughts.
Old 03-20-13, 10:57 AM
nu980
Driver School Candidate

totally true, not the worst thing to replace a couple of years down the road, if need be, since they're priced around 650.

Originally Posted by heyarms
I had them in the past (although only for 5 months) but they rode exceptionally. They have softer spring rates, which is not a concern for you if you wont be running aggressive wheels.

A good option for sure. Longevity wise, i dont know how long until they need to be rebuilt, but for ~$640, not a terrible price to replace them even with new ones again years down the road.

BCr is the other option that I'm considering... i'm torn between the two

Originally Posted by Jump2man3
I too have heard nothing but good things on the EZ from Megan. and Vroomin is a good dude. Anyways like heyarms they are affordable so you could always replace down the road. IMO i would go with the BC Racing Coils but thats just my thoughts.
Old 03-20-13, 11:10 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Honestly if you got the extra 2-3 hundred to drop. Go with BC Racing. Nothing against the EZ Coils, but I have seen and spoken to people who have switched and love the BC.
Old 03-20-13, 11:14 AM
nu980
Driver School Candidate

Honestly if you got the extra 2-3 hundred to drop. Go with BC Racing. Nothing against the EZ Coils, but I have seen and spoken to people who have switched and love the BC.
yeah people on this forum seem to be lovin the **** outta the BC Racing coils
Old 03-20-13, 11:30 AM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Then you might be answering you own questions lol
Old 03-20-13, 11:46 AM
nu980
Driver School Candidate

Then you might be answering you own questions lol
but the price of the megan is so nice!
Old 03-20-13, 12:02 PM
tedward88
Pole Position

Just get the Megans if you want to save the couple hundred. I have them for the past 13k+ miles and they ride like stock, but just a little bit more stiff. Of course you can adjust the damper to your liking.
Old 03-20-13, 12:11 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

So like tedward said go with the megans then. Honestly you gotta be happy with your choice.
Old 03-20-13, 12:18 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

couple hundred dollars? what difference is that in 1 or 2 years.

suspension is important and going to last you a while.
Old 03-20-13, 12:21 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Your other option is wait and check out the classifieds see if you can find a set of bc coils used.
Old 03-20-13, 12:25 PM
Jump2man3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
couple hundred dollars? what difference is that in 1 or 2 years.

suspension is important and going to last you a while.
totally agree! Thanks for chiming in. Think about your car and like he said its a couple hundred bucks. But to each their own.

Quick Reply: Longevity of Megan EZ