Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

New LS BBK Brakes Grinding

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 06:57 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New LS BBK Brakes Grinding

I installed brand new brake rotors and pads including a set of used LS400 brakes last Friday night and I'm experiencing a grinding noise when I come to a full stop. I don't hear a noise while driving, nor feel vibration or pulling to one direction or the other. The pads and rotors are nothing special, just wearever from Autozone. I can see a slight line developing on the outer edge of the passenger side rotor, and another slight line developing on the inside area of the driver side rotor. I guess pictures would help but it's already dark outside. The car still stops just fine, but makes a terrible grinding sound almost like a pebble or a rock is in between the pad and rotor when I slow down and come to complete stop at a light or behind a car in traffic. Before I rip everything apart and spend an hour or two just to find out that I don't know what is wrong, what's your thoughts?

The pistons on the calipers seemed fine, I cleaned and greased the pins, installed everything correctly including putting anti-squeal red stuff on the shims. I torqued down the caliper bolts, torqued down the brake lines, and completely bled each corner twice using the proper method of going from rear passenger, to rear driver side, etc.

Do you think there is a break in period or should I get new pads? I was thinking maybe these pads are defective or the rotor surface might not be completely smooth.
Old 03-28-13, 07:21 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That's normal. The pads and rotors are still trying to get used to each other. Make sure to break them in, meaning no hard stops until after 200-300 miles. The line at the edge is also normal due to the slanted edge of the pads on both sides.

Last edited by OG Dada; 03-28-13 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-28-13, 09:31 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine do the same thing and I did the proper bed in on them although I onlt maybe see a few hundred miles per year.
Old 03-29-13, 12:01 AM
asianrob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used supra TT rotors on mine, when compared to the SC and LS rotors. the LS & SC sit a little further back ( what it looked like when i set them next to each other) while my supra rotor sit closer to the out side of the car. if that made any sense.
Old 03-29-13, 01:08 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

I have duralast pads and rotors from autozone on my car. My passenger side also has a ring dug into the rotor. I've been meaning too take them back to get new parts, but I've been lazy,
Old 03-29-13, 05:35 AM
Vwpride12
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use the SC300 factory caliper bracket to spindle bolts? On mine I had to cut a few mm off to shorten them up when I did the LS swap. I also removed the factory dust sheild. Just a thought.
Old 03-29-13, 06:57 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Vwpride12, you bring up a good point that I didn't mention above. I used factory LS400 caliper bolts and completely removed my dust shield.
Old 03-29-13, 09:21 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

As did I ^^ I am hoping some miles will help them mate better
Old 03-29-13, 11:56 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double check anyway and make sure you dont have bolts dragging the inner rotor.

Pads dont make a grinding noise at stop, and there really is no bed in time for stock type pads. They work as they should right away.
Old 03-29-13, 02:23 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Double check anyway and make sure you dont have bolts dragging the inner rotor.

Pads dont make a grinding noise at stop, and there really is no bed in time for stock type pads. They work as they should right away.
I know for a fact that I used factory LS bolts which didn't pass the bracket and touch the rotors. I visually inspected each bolt to confirm while it was on the lift. I can view the "stroke" lines on the rotors right now. I have one at the top of a rotor on the passenger side, and another "stroke" line on the inner side close to the hub of the driver side rotor. It's almost in the area of where the pad ends on either the top or bottom.

Keep in mind these are rotors and pads that have maybe 100 miles on them.

Here are some photos:

Last edited by Tabaka; 03-29-13 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-30-13, 01:52 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

My rotors have the same lines on them too. I also used LS400 bolts. I'm starting to think its just the rotor and pad combo that is creating the problem. I've had my brake setup on the car for about 6k miles, and I don't remember hearing any noises.
Old 03-30-13, 02:44 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Took the wheels off today and inspected each caliper. The pads are definitely installed correctly and everything looks fine. The caliper bolts are not touching the rotors and everything looks secure including the pins, rattle bracket, etc. I'm going to take everything apart, lube, and install new pads next weekend.
Old 03-30-13, 06:52 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

I also have the same line and noise and m\everything is 100% new including my calipers so I am at a bit of a loss myself on this as well
Old 03-30-13, 07:17 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had exactly the same happen, and everything is good now, I'm way out of the break-in period. Also the instructions itself on my rotors said that it would happen; grinding noise, visible lines on the rotors, etc.
Old 03-30-13, 08:04 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Sounds good, thanks for the feedback guys. I'm still going to try a set of Hawk or Stop Tech pads in the near future.

Quick Reply: New LS BBK Brakes Grinding