Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

springs or coilovers?? help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 06:54 AM
whitebeast
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Go with coilover.
Old 04-11-13, 02:25 PM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am fairly new to my lexus, but I have been into tuning for a long time. And if you have the money go with coilovers but in the end it really depends what you want.

If you want a solid ride and the adjustability to do what you want then get coilovers which can range from $700-2000 depends on which you choose. Like the previos poster said the Megans I have heard of great reviews for a reasonable price.

But if you just want the lowered look and you are on a budget then get no more than 1"in lowering springs. I say no more than 1" because any further and your shocks will be shot after 10k miles, depends on how you drive but since our cars are heavy I would not be surprised. Also depends where you are in NY some roads there are great and some are not...

If you like the best of both worlds then get lowering springs and f-sport dampers.
Old 04-11-13, 05:21 PM
iceheat710
Driver School Candidate

I'm kind of in the same boat deciding to get coilovers or just lowering springs...The only reasons I'm leaning towards springs is because it's cheaper and less maintenance for winter?

Does anyone own coilovers up north with snow in the winter? I'm just wondering what kind of preparations etc I need to do?

I'm guessing when I take off the summers to put on the winters, I would clean it or whatever, and do the same thing when I take off the winters and put on the summers? What kind of "cleaning" needs to be done exactly though?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-13, 04:54 AM
bob4256
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by azfsprt
I am fairly new to my lexus, but I have been into tuning for a long time. And if you have the money go with coilovers but in the end it really depends what you want.

If you want a solid ride and the adjustability to do what you want then get coilovers which can range from $700-2000 depends on which you choose. Like the previos poster said the Megans I have heard of great reviews for a reasonable price.

But if you just want the lowered look and you are on a budget then get no more than 1"in lowering springs. I say no more than 1" because any further and your shocks will be shot after 10k miles, depends on how you drive but since our cars are heavy I would not be surprised. Also depends where you are in NY some roads there are great and some are not...

If you like the best of both worlds then get lowering springs and f-sport dampers.
Coilovers are technically the best of both worlds.

And I would not recommend the fsport springs and shocks. Ive heard way more complaints about this setup than good things.

If you HAVE to go with springs, at least go with a legit set like H&R. They seem to be the "best" springs. And by best I mean least complaints and the most even drop
Old 04-12-13, 05:01 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Suprisingly I'm actually on the coilovers side...or maybe it's because i just got some BC's lol...honestly tho you can't go wrong with springs...but if you think a year later you will want coils then just hold off and save a little more for coils...
Old 04-12-13, 11:24 AM
azfsprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bob4256
Coilovers are technically the best of both worlds.

And I would not recommend the fsport springs and shocks. Ive heard way more complaints about this setup than good things.

If you HAVE to go with springs, at least go with a legit set like H&R. They seem to be the "best" springs. And by best I mean least complaints and the most even drop
Oh my bad let me clarify, when I meant the best of both worlds I meant that its still affordable and you get your car lowered with shocks that are made for the car and any springs you want ( thats why I didn't mention f-sport springs) Just to clarify

Coilover are just the best, hands down.

Its up to you OP, but if you can afford it like I said I would rather go coilovers!