Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Don't Let this happen to you.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 04:55 PM
Supruxes
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I attempted the sawzall method and it didnt work out too well, so i ended up dropping the subframe to take to a friends shop to get it torched out.

Update:

Took it to my buddy's shop tonight and it took him 10 minutes to remove it with a angle grinder.

Last edited by Supruxes; 04-18-13 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 10:02 AM
DammitFox
Driver School Candidate

My 93 has terrible bushings, I ordered the poly replacements but unfortunately need to retain the sleeve. So instead of an easy press out I have to get them into the shop and burn them out, propane doesn't work, had 2 bottles wasted to not burn out a single bushing. Havent been able to find control arms in my price range though.
Old 04-21-13, 09:39 PM
Supruxes
Driver

Update: Car is back on the road, and wow......it feels like a Lexus again on the highway.

Now i need to install my steering rack bushings.

Originally Posted by DammitFox
My 93 has terrible bushings, I ordered the poly replacements but unfortunately need to retain the sleeve. So instead of an easy press out I have to get them into the shop and burn them out, propane doesn't work, had 2 bottles wasted to not burn out a single bushing. Havent been able to find control arms in my price range though.
That sounds horrible, just keep looking in the classifieds, that's where i found mine.
Old 05-13-13, 09:03 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by DammitFox
at the hardware store there are like 3 different types of gas torches you can get. You are right the propane one is weak and takes forever to work, what is best is the one you use for soldering copper, I think its the map gas but you want the one that burns the hottest. the attachment that lets you turn it on and off with a button it worth every penny it works much better than using the manual one with the strike lighter, which can be difficult to get going each time you need to use it.
Old 05-13-13, 11:50 PM
chiken
Rookie

I used the propane and it worked fine. Took a bit to get started at first until i figured out what to do. The trick is to heat both sides and grab the inner sleeve with some pliers so you can work it out. Once the sleeve is out the bushing will burn quite quickly without the aid of the torch just keep adjitating the rubber with a long screwdriver until its all gone.