Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

how does my alignment look? 09-13 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-13, 07:18 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default how does my alignment look? 09-13 AWD

I've been having excessive wear on the inside and outside edges of my tires for a while. This has been happening despite 38PSI all around and tire rotations every oil change (5k miles). I hit a curb the other day so I finally decided to bring it in for an alignment. How does my alignment look? Should I worry about the thrust angle not being 0.00?

Comments appreciated. Thanks!

how does my alignment look? 09-13 AWD-alignment-2013.jpeg

Last edited by Noeh; 02-28-14 at 06:40 AM.
Old 04-21-13, 09:51 PM
Noeh
Advanced

50 views and no comments? c'mon guys does thrust angle affect tire wear?
Old 07-07-13, 09:51 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you on stock suspension? Just curious because I just replaced the shocks in my rear and I didn't see any adjustments for toe in the rear and I'm wondering if I should bring it in to get it checked since I see that they fixed the toe in your rear.
Old 07-08-13, 10:16 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

There are adjustments for toe in the back.

OP, I wouldn't worry about the thrust angle. However I wouldn't be happy with the toe on the rear if it were my car. I'll bet the shop just plugged in factory limits and banged on stuff until it was green, and you can't blame them for that, but regardless of positive or negative toe eats tires. So if -.11 degrees on the left before alignment is bad then +.18 on the right after alignment is still bad. I'd shoot for less than .05 on all 4 corners.

I'd also prefer the camber to be better matched from one side to the other both front and rear, but camber doesn't eat tires nearly as badly as toe does. If you are super concerned about tire wear then you would be better off with camber less than -0.5 all the way around.

When I'm shopping for an alignment I tell the shop what I want, and let them know I don't care what the factory limits are (granted some shops don't like my attitude ). Manufacturers (including Toyota) have been known to loosen the factory limits after they find out that a high percentage of cars are coming off the production line with alignments ouside of original spec.
Old 07-08-13, 10:40 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Originally Posted by NQR89
Are you on stock suspension? Just curious because I just replaced the shocks in my rear and I didn't see any adjustments for toe in the rear and I'm wondering if I should bring it in to get it checked since I see that they fixed the toe in your rear.
I'm on stock suspension

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
There are adjustments for toe in the back.

OP, I wouldn't worry about the thrust angle. However I wouldn't be happy with the toe on the rear if it were my car. I'll bet the shop just plugged in factory limits and banged on stuff until it was green, and you can't blame them for that, but regardless of positive or negative toe eats tires. So if -.11 degrees on the left before alignment is bad then +.18 on the right after alignment is still bad. I'd shoot for less than .05 on all 4 corners.

I'd also prefer the camber to be better matched from one side to the other both front and rear, but camber doesn't eat tires nearly as badly as toe does. If you are super concerned about tire wear then you would be better off with camber less than -0.5 all the way around.

When I'm shopping for an alignment I tell the shop what I want, and let them know I don't care what the factory limits are (granted some shops don't like my attitude ). Manufacturers (including Toyota) have been known to loosen the factory limits after they find out that a high percentage of cars are coming off the production line with alignments ouside of original spec.
Thanks for the reply. Fortunately I'm on crappy OEM bridgestones. I will have them readjust the toe for the next tire change.
Old 07-08-13, 11:21 PM
NQR89
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you both for the reply, I'll be getting my alignment tomorrow to put my mind to ease. I just had my tires replaced, don't want them to wear prematurely.