Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

brake flush, still NOT tight!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-13, 01:47 PM
NYG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake flush, still NOT tight!!

hey guys,
So I just did a brake flush and my brakes are still NOT the tightness I was hoping for. I can tell the motion got much "smoother" but the feel is still "spongey." I know I did not let air in the system because I kept a close eye on the master cyl. and also closed the valve on each release. I even went a step ahead and filled the drain bottle with new fluid on each wheel so if it did suck anything back up it would be fluid not air.

any suggestions? My rotors are fine and brake pads are new.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 04-26-13, 01:50 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

did you have a buddy pumping the brake pedal in the car?
Old 04-26-13, 01:52 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by jadu
did you have a buddy pumping the brake pedal in the car?
Sure did. followed everything stepped by step, and 100% sure I did not get air back into the system. I even re-did one of the wheels because I thought I might have opened too early.

Old 04-26-13, 04:12 PM
NYG
Driver

Sorry for all the typo's, I was on my phone earlier using the horrible app. Anyone with any suggestions?
Old 04-26-13, 04:27 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 610 Likes on 405 Posts

There is an electronic bleeding procedure that should be performed using a TechStream after bleeding the brakes. This may help.

Jeff
Old 04-26-13, 04:32 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
There is an electronic bleeding procedure that should be performed using a TechStream after bleeding the brakes. This may help.

Jeff
first time Ive ever heard of this. Will this really make a difference in tightening up my brakes?
Old 04-26-13, 05:04 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had this same problem after this shop removed my front caliper and rotors after i changed out my stock studs for extended ones. initially i thought air got into the system so i had them bleed it out several times, they said they were positive no air was in there but it was still spongy. so i took it to another shop where they looked at my problem more closely and they said that the pin on the driver side of my caliper had seized so it wouldn't allow the piston to depress all the way and giving it a spongy feel. i'm not sure what the conditions are on your calipers but i had to replace both my fronts because of it. this may or may not be your problem but just thought i'd share.
Old 04-26-13, 05:46 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by Alias
i had this same problem after this shop removed my front caliper and rotors after i changed out my stock studs for extended ones. initially i thought air got into the system so i had them bleed it out several times, they said they were positive no air was in there but it was still spongy. so i took it to another shop where they looked at my problem more closely and they said that the pin on the driver side of my caliper had seized so it wouldn't allow the piston to depress all the way and giving it a spongy feel. i'm not sure what the conditions are on your calipers but i had to replace both my fronts because of it. this may or may not be your problem but just thought i'd share.
great advice, thank you! I'll check on this immediatly. what do you do? Just check to see if both pads are squeezing when braking?

Old 04-26-13, 06:11 PM
Alias
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

actually I'm not sure if they depressed the brakes to see if it was squeezing, but they just basically showed me my caliper after they removed it from the car and the bolt/pin thing's head looked like it took a beating, like it was stripped and all that stuff. had a feeling that the previous shop that worked on it did it. but the guy told me that sometimes that happens to calipers and you can't help it, because water, rust or other contaminants might get in there through the usual wear and tear stuff and cause the pin to seize.
Old 04-26-13, 06:40 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by Alias
actually I'm not sure if they depressed the brakes to see if it was squeezing, but they just basically showed me my caliper after they removed it from the car and the bolt/pin thing's head looked like it took a beating, like it was stripped and all that stuff. had a feeling that the previous shop that worked on it did it. but the guy told me that sometimes that happens to calipers and you can't help it, because water, rust or other contaminants might get in there through the usual wear and tear stuff and cause the pin to seize.
ah alright. I don't know what to look for exactly, espicially if I do see all calipers being depressed normally.

Old 04-26-13, 06:48 PM
NYG
Driver

any other opinions/suggestions on this issue? my brakes are about 1 and 1/2 inch from the floor when coming to full stop. is this normal? is there any other way to adjust the tightness?

Old 04-26-13, 06:54 PM
JoeV215
Driver School Candidate

my brother had a issue with his brake too and he end up changing the brake booster and then come to find out that it wasnt even the problem it was the caliper braket that was sieze up with no grease in the bolts
Old 04-26-13, 06:55 PM
NYG
Driver

Originally Posted by JoeV215
my brother had a issue with his brake too and he end up changing the brake booster and then come to find out that it wasnt even the problem it was the caliper braket that was sieze up with no grease in the bolts
how do you check for this? seems like both answers I got point to this same issue..

Old 04-26-13, 06:56 PM
JoeV215
Driver School Candidate

the bracket only ;like 30 dollars but just check it to make shure its not seize up instead of buying a brake booster for like 700 dollars and feeling salty like my brother did lol
Old 04-26-13, 06:58 PM
JoeV215
Driver School Candidate

just like u do your brakes but check the bolts thats holding the bracket

Quick Reply: brake flush, still NOT tight!!