Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Uneven Rear Brake Wear

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 09:19 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Uneven Rear Brake Wear

I just checked my rear brakes on my 08 IS350 and they are wearing very unevenly. The inner pad has about 6-7mm while the outer pad has about 4mm on average left. Also the outer pad is not wearing evenly. The top of the pad has about 2-3mm while the bottom of the pad has about 4-5mm. Anyone have any ideas on this. I do track the car about 4 days a year and run slotted rotors but have not had this type of ware before. Right now the rear pads only have about 6K miles and 4 track days on them and they are done while the fronts still have enough to go for another track day or 2. Changed both the front and rear at the same time.
Old 04-29-13, 04:48 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

I would say have you checked if the caliper is seized, but just this weekend when installing some Megan camber arms I notice the same thing...and I've got BRAND NEW calipers installed a few months ago. I also have slotted Power Slot rotors and Axxis Ultimate rear pads. The outter pad had definitely much less meat on it than the inner pad. I didn't take them out to measure, but differently an easily noticeable difference.

Curious to see what others think here. It I merely the design of the caliper itself?

Old 04-30-13, 08:51 AM
Sportskid1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't pulled the caliper off yet. Planning on doing the brakes this weekend. What do I look for to see if the caliber is seized. I am thinking the piston just won't move when I try and push it back in. I really don't think this is the issuethough as both sides are wearing the same. I guess we will see.
Old 04-30-13, 06:41 PM
Gville350

^When our rear calipers seize, it is due to the slide pin on the right side of the pic of the caliper above. Moisture gets past the seal and causes it to rust on the inside.
Old 07-22-13, 06:48 PM
JB84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
I would say have you checked if the caliper is seized, but just this weekend when installing some Megan camber arms I notice the same thing...and I've got BRAND NEW calipers installed a few months ago. I also have slotted Power Slot rotors and Axxis Ultimate rear pads. The outter pad had definitely much less meat on it than the inner pad. I didn't take them out to measure, but differently an easily noticeable difference.

Curious to see what others think here. It I merely the design of the caliper itself?

Hi so my dad and I was trying to change the rear brakes today and ran into the problem where the right pin in the pic above won't move at all. Just to be clear both pins should be able to slide out right? Cuz we even tried hammering that right side out but no luck. We figured it was rusted real bad but both sides had the same problem so was thinking its not suppose to slide out? Anybody come up with a solution for this besides buying new calipers? Thanks.
Old 07-22-13, 07:55 PM
LexusIS954
Rookie

I just did my rear brakes yesterday and i noticed the same uneven wear. I just assumed that it was because of the weird *** caliper setup.you have to swing the caliper out of the way to get the whole caliper to pull off of the bottom pin. I didn't remove the caliper when I did mine. Took me about 30 min
Old 07-24-13, 08:11 PM
Gville350

^You both above have what appears to be seized calipers since the sliding pin isn't allowing the floating portion of the caliper to move...which then causes uneven brake pad wear.
Old 05-26-14, 08:10 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thread revival: I'm having the same issue with the right pin above seizing. Would it be covered by CPO warranty?
Old 05-27-14, 05:25 PM
Gville350

^The caliper slider pin seal was supposed to be a TSIB, which WAS performed on my car. But did it prevent the issue...no. Crappy design I guess. But, with a CPO warranty, I would definitely give it over to the dealership to fix. This link does not say the caliper is a wear-item and SHOULD be covered by the CPO : http://www.lexus.com/cpo/overview/wa..._id_rxplvyv1t0

Try to convince the dealership to replace the pads too at their cost due to the faulty caliper. Also make sure BOTH calipers are checked. Like in my case, one was 100% seized and the other was about 80%.

GL!
Old 05-28-14, 03:28 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Thanks for the input, doesn't seem the TSIB was done on my car. Also the pads/rotors still look fine even though the pins were frozen. Hopefully the dealer will fix the calipers without making me buy new pads/rotors (~$700 for labor + parts)
Old 05-28-14, 06:33 PM
Gville350

^Don't let the dealership push you around on this; take in a printed copy of the CPO warranty to prove you are right!
Old 06-05-14, 08:00 PM
Noeh
Advanced

Update: dealership replaced both rear calipers under warranty
Old 06-05-14, 08:25 PM
Gville350

^Hooray for warranties! So what did they say caused the problem?
Old 06-06-14, 05:42 AM
Noeh
Advanced

They didn't mention the cause, but the pins were frozen solid...
Old 06-18-14, 10:03 AM
dara321aaa
Driver School Candidate

I think i'm having the same issue. I posted a thread in the main section about my pads sticking to the rotor and causing them to smoke due to extreme heat. That i have a bad feeling is because the wheel fell off of it and it landed on the wheel, but that's something seperate I think. Is the pin you are referring to the pins holding the pads into the caliper? Or one of the other ones?

Before my wheel fell off (long story) when I checked the pads to replace them the affected side had nothing on the inner pad closest to the gas tank and maybe 1-2mm on the outside closest to the wheel.

Quick Reply: Uneven Rear Brake Wear