Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My car wanders on the road

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 01:23 PM
dgb744
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car wanders on the road

After trading vehicles with my girlfriend for 15 days I returned home to find that my car exhibits a drinking problem. My Baby a 92 SC400 which I have known since 1998 when I purchased her with 32,000 miles had always driven down the road. I can honestly say the first time I drove her she was unlike any car I'd driven before. She went straight down the road. Take your hands off the wheel and she confidently continues where you released the steering wheel.
So when I drove her after returning home I was shocked and concerned as to what is up with this car. I made two road trips; 20 miles & 60 miles.
I then set up an appointment with a mechanic. Next day he said whats up? I said: nothing much just here for my 9:30 am appointment. Well that didn't look possible so I drove it home and it did shimmy even at the low speeds (35mph). I meant to do it myself but this car has had a problem, a history of unusual tire wear.
The front tires wear was causing the segments to wear un-even. You would move your hand in the direction of the tire and notice it would grab your hand in one direction. I had the tires "trued". Only one business in town cuts the tread true here. I guess about $25 a piece and that included balance. After the true'ing the car drove smoothly.
The mechanic mentioned that the tie rods had a very small amount of play in them and the struts were ok.

When I got it home after the failed mechanic appointment I jacked up one side and with very little pressure moved the tire back and forth grasping in the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock position. It was a worn outer tie rod.
I got the neighbor to move the wheel and the inners were ok but my other outer tie rod was bad.
I found raybestos parts locally if ordered for the next day but Amazon had them for $20. less and delivered to my home (car not driveable).
Tires removed on jacks using MAP gas heated the fork and with a large brass hammer and some help from WD-40 with the castleated nut installed flat with the threads and a firm force they both came out fine.
Count the number of threads to remove and then install, torque, safety and she drove wonderful.
I now have the issue of un-even tires.
I would like to open this up for those with more knowledge in this department.
My tires have about 10,000 miles of tread currently left.
If I were to replace the tires I was thinking of tires with smaller segments.
Old 06-07-13, 01:56 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car has been wandering for three + years and shakes like a hooker in church at 60mph. I dropped it off at a small garage a few years back and they said the entire steering column had an issue. I bought a spare one but never got around to installing it. Honestly, the car is 20 years old and almost everything will need to be replaced. I don't know your location in Florida but there are a rack of shops and members that can probably help you.
Old 06-07-13, 02:38 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you said you installed your tie rods but did not get an alignment afterwards. going by the thread count will not get your alignment spot on necessarily and you could be having issues with toe-in or toe-out. After replacing something like a tie rod end you should also get an alignment.
Old 06-08-13, 08:14 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Get an alignment and get back to us. It could also be busted bushings and so on...