Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

H&R spring coming from fsport.. Need your opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 09:19 AM
2genIS
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H&R spring coming from fsport.. Need your opinion

big diff in drop.. But some differences... my old set up is fsport with fsport shock (front only). now I go with HR n fsport shock .. after driving for one day found this:

1-hear more noise when driving
2- clunk sound when going over bump. Is this normal for HR?? I have no problem with fsport..
3-- loud clunk noise on front when going over small pot hole or bump.. . Is this b/c I'm using fsport shock?

-- rear is more quite then front.. Should I change my front shock to the old one??

Need your inputs...
Old 06-08-13, 01:26 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have HR springs on OEM shocks and have no problems. but I don't see why the F sport shocks would give you a problem since its suppose to be "Better" than the OEM ones.. I would go back in and make sure all nuts and bolts are tight and that the spring bottoms are seated properly with the shock seats.
Old 06-08-13, 01:37 PM
Gville350

Received 434 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
the spring bottoms are seated properly with the shock seats.
I agree; at slow speeds, especially when turning, if the spring is not seated properly then the spring can actually turn as well causing the noise.

GL!
Old 06-08-13, 02:02 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

the spring is seated correctly.. I double check before I put the spring back on.. I might get tein silencer rubber to see what happen.. Other wise might swap out fsport shock with oem ..
Old 06-08-13, 03:08 PM
Tonyy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a lot of research on the H&R springs before I purchased them and found out that they are best paired with OEM shocks (not FSport).

I have no problems with my setup on the stock shocks and if they ever crap out I would purchase the non f sport shocks to replace them.
Old 06-08-13, 03:13 PM
GFM IS350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have H&R springs + F-Sport shocks. No clunks, no additional noise, just harsher on uneven road and potholes. love the combo
Old 06-09-13, 04:06 PM
Jwknutson
Driver School Candidate

I have H&R springs with stock shocks. I have only a small noise from the Ft. Rt. side when steering wheel is almost locked left and hitting a bump or pulling in driveway. I have taken the strut assy apart multiple time to inspect. Cant find anywhere noise could be coming from. The alignment specs after lowering the car on that front right were way more out of spec then the left. Almost maxing out camber adjustment. No bent suspension parts but everything was able to get into spec. Also the ride height is greater on front right side as its a common issue discussed over and over again. I thought the noise could be from the strut top. Same noise I see when customer cars come in for popping noise over bumps. Usually notched out strut top where the strut rotates and comes in and out of the top notch causing a pop noise. (causes from improper install or loose strut nut over time). I see no visible wear on strut top or a seating issue with spring and bushings. Learned to live with the noise for now until I put coilovers on the car. (only happens maybe few times a week). You could try a spring silencer such as the tein if you have run out of options.

New to this forum but not to cars. Hope that helps and hello to everyone.

ASE Certified Mechanic
Toyota Expert Technician
8.5 years at Toyota Dealer
Old 06-09-13, 09:42 PM
2genIS
Pole Position

So after swapping out fsport and install oem shock.. Still getting clunk noise (sound like metal hitting against metal).. I check every single thing but nothing I can see go wrong.. I take a chance to see if it will solve the problem by taking the end link swap bar off.. THE PROBLEM SOLVE... what a weekend.. take off and reinstall the spring 4x over the weekend.. FOR REFERENCE.. if end link is bad. you will hear a loud clunk sound going to over ever pot hole or bump..
Old 06-10-13, 01:17 AM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

lowering your car without swapping to shorter endlinks will cause: 1) the sway bar won't be level 2) can even cause the end links to BEND!

One of mine are bent, but not by much...

When I get coils Im going to get end links from FIGS engineering.

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=185
Old 06-10-13, 09:28 PM
SCWB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
lowering your car without swapping to shorter endlinks will cause: 1) the sway bar won't be level 2) can even cause the end links to BEND!

One of mine are bent, but not by much...

When I get coils Im going to get end links from FIGS engineering.

http://shopfigs.com/v1/index.php?rou...product_id=185
Do we need fronts too?