Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A Few Coilover Questions (New BC Racing coilovers Installed)

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 03:46 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default A Few Coilover Questions (New BC Racing coilovers Installed)

Hi,
I just installed new BR racing BR series coilovers and I am trying to understand a few things about them.
I installed them last night and they are orders of magnitude better then my blown out stock suspension.
My only complaint is that I cannot DRIVE the car hard for fear of bottoming out.

I tried to raise the car twice but it is starting to get REALLY hard to turn with all but the right rear shock. The right rear feels like I could just keep on turning/lifting it with minimal effort.

Can I lubricate this thing to make it easier to turn without worrying about things coming loose?

I really need it stiffer. Is increasing my preload (or height of upper perch) something that would help make it stiffer? Would that mess up anything else?

Where can I measure to make sure my 4 units are similarly raised/lowered? I have lost count of my turns totally.

I may have to get the stiffer springs.....

Still, this is my favorite mod done on the car so far!

Last edited by Studiogeek; 06-08-13 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 05:08 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what way did you adjust your ride height on your coilovers? a lot of people don't know that coilover height adjustment should be adjusted on the bottom where it connects to the hub and not the spring and perch itself. I don't know which way you adjusted it so it will help if you give us that info. you should leave preload to neutral so you don't wear out your strut faster. in my previous vehicle which was a scion xb on my ksports i just had to loosen the screws on the bottom mount and some of the collars and was able to adjust my right height by spinning my strut. if anythnig you could have maxed out your coilovers if you have the extreme drop then they look pretty maxed out.

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 06-08-13 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 07:08 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kingshawty
what way did you adjust your ride height on your coilovers? a lot of people don't know that coilover height adjustment should be adjusted on the bottom where it connects to the hub and not the spring and perch itself. I don't know which way you adjusted it so it will help if you give us that info. you should leave preload to neutral so you don't wear out your strut faster. in my previous vehicle which was a scion xb on my ksports i just had to loosen the screws on the bottom mount and some of the collars and was able to adjust my right height by spinning my strut. if anythnig you could have maxed out your coilovers if you have the extreme drop then they look pretty maxed out.
KS,
I adjusted them as directed by loosening the lower ring and spinning the entire unit (minus the bottom).
As my setup is still too soft, I wondered if increasing the tension on the spring via the top perch would possibly help I know you are supposed to set preload and leave it but I thought I'd inquire just in case.
I am having a problem spinning them any further UP actually. All but the rear right that stayed loose and feels like I could keep spinning it up effortlessly.
I did not ask for "extreme drop" but I do see "Supra" on the shock.

SG
Old 06-09-13, 03:17 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I escaped from NYC traffic impulsively last night. I just got in the car and took the Henry Hudson up to the Saw Mill parkway and I drove the car faster and more confidently then I have since i purchased it.
THE HANDLING IS PHENOMENAL! I Cannot find the words to express how much nicer it is.

It's 6:15AM sunday morning and i'm already up posting about it.

I just may go get in it for a sunday morning rip.

This performance enjoyment will accelerate my NEED for the 5 speed swap.

Better start collecting parts for it......
Old 06-09-13, 10:52 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

theres not really any way to increase stiffness other than getting stiffer weighted springs.

If you have the Supra model the spring rates are 14k and 10k vs the SC model which are 14k and 8k according to ebay. A lot of people actually upgrade their stock springs for Swift springs.

Last edited by SC4Paulo; 06-09-13 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-09-13, 12:26 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kingshawty
theres not really any way to increase stiffness other than getting stiffer weighted springs.

If you have the Supra model the spring rates are 14k and 10k vs the SC model which are 14k and 8k according to ebay. A lot of people actually upgrade their stock springs for Swift springs.
I may do that!
I thought i understood, but now I am starting to get foggy on exactly what part of the ride the springs are responsible vs what ride elements the shock is responsible for.
I have it set to full hard and it seems like i would like 10 more clicks in that direction but maybe it's just a stiffer spring I need.
It handles beautifully on perfect roads but quite frankly, i am a bit worried about what will happen if I hit a big hole or bump I did not see while going fast at night. I trusted the response of the stock suspension to handle whatever came up bump/dip wise, this one..... not so much.
I also worry seriously about leveling off at the bottom of a hill and more so if there is a turn as well.
Old 06-09-13, 03:06 PM
jschru
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

post a pic of your car at its current ride height with the new setup. i'm right across the hudson in north jersey and the roads aren't too much different from nyc. I have bc's and have found that potholes and dips in the road will cause me to scrape my front tires on the frame. ive never had a problem with the backs though. unfortunaly you can't really go super low with these cars especially in this area. but i wouldnt be worried about bottoming out the car or scraping the bottom unless youre going over big humps. just remember with a low car you have to use angles to navigate obstacles
Old 06-09-13, 03:12 PM
jschru
Driver

just kidding, just saw the pics in your other thread. but just so you know almost everyone here scrapes their front tires on the frame when they hit bumps, its just a matter of how badly and your preference. and you can spray the threads on the coils with wd40 or silicone spray to help it spin a little easier
Old 06-10-13, 06:19 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jschru
just kidding, just saw the pics in your other thread. but just so you know almost everyone here scrapes their front tires on the frame when they hit bumps, its just a matter of how badly and your preference. and you can spray the threads on the coils with wd40 or silicone spray to help it spin a little easier
I guess it's good to know it's that common but I'm not fond of it. When going fast it sounds like the car is breaking apart. Its the bottom of this bumper hitting/scraping the ground as well. I hope my stock bumper with Wise lip is not as low. I fear that it may be though.
Old 06-10-13, 03:26 PM
NixusSC
Driver

i tend to lower my coils pretty far, and this thread is getting me leaning more towards the stance with their stiffer matched springrates..
Old 06-10-13, 03:27 PM
NixusSC
Driver

have you posted pictures with your newly installed coils or no??
Old 06-10-13, 03:46 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NixusSC
have you posted pictures with your newly installed coils or no??
YES HERE and the next page.

And HERE. (same pics different thread)

Thank You
SG
Old 06-11-13, 12:20 AM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

i tend to lower my coils pretty far, and this thread is getting me leaning more towards the stance with their stiffer matched springrates..
Stance I have heard are good coils, as well as PBM but BC racing also offers custom spring rates at no extra charge, you just have to wait the extra time. So don't jump to conclusions just yet.
Old 06-11-13, 11:09 AM
NixusSC
Driver

springs can only get you so far....other companies i have called about different spring rates claim their dampers are only viable for +-2kg from the original spring..so if you bought 14/10 coilovers, you could go as soft as 12/8 or hard as 16/12...

i am unsure on how bc can offer any spring rate unless they were changing the dampers to suit the spring =/

geek, have you had any more luck with adjusting your coilovers??
Old 06-11-13, 02:05 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

springs can only get you so far....other companies i have called about different spring rates claim their dampers are only viable for +-2kg from the original spring..so if you bought 14/10 coilovers, you could go as soft as 12/8 or hard as 16/12...

i am unsure on how bc can offer any spring rate unless they were changing the dampers to suit the spring =/

geek, have you had any more luck with adjusting your coilovers??
Took a break from the car and coils today. I'll be back on it in a day or two. It's not horrible at this point, just making me overly worried about the road.
I definitely can suggest these, just make sure you get the right springs/valving for your needs. Al in all, I am incredibly happy about the mod.

I would only plan to go up one rate on the springs.

Quick Reply: A Few Coilover Questions (New BC Racing coilovers Installed)