Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sewell caster arm bushing failed, thinking about getting the FIGS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-13, 05:47 PM
kamikaze04
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sewell caster arm bushing failed, thinking about getting the FIGS

So I installed the Sewell caster arm bushings and it lasted me two days. I am currently looking at the FIGS bushings. So I was wondering if any of you guys had experience with these bushings from FIGS.

Polyurethane Bushings

Or Caster Arm Spherical Bearings
Old 06-08-13, 06:41 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by kamikaze04
So I installed the Sewell caster arm bushings and it lasted me two days
Whoa, stop the music. What do you mean "lasted two days"

There are plenty of use running these bushings and I have yet to hear about these failing.
Old 06-08-13, 07:54 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

2 days? i'd like to know to... The FIGS would be better than the polyurethane ...
Old 06-08-13, 08:55 PM
kamikaze04
Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
2 days? i'd like to know to... The FIGS would be better than the polyurethane ...
Started to have some loud clunking sounds. So I took the castor arm and examine the bushings on both sides. One of the bushings, the top part where it touches the car, was shot. Like the bushing had some pieces that were shredded. I have done these types of installs before, but never had one failed on me like this. Even though it was a PITA.
Old 06-08-13, 09:08 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Started to have some loud clunking sounds. So I took the castor arm and examine the bushings on both sides. One of the bushings, the top part where it touches the car, was shot. Like the bushing had some pieces that were shredded. I have done these types of installs before, but never had one failed on me like this. Even though it was a PITA.
thats really strange.. might have been a defective part from the beginning... If budgets allows the FIGS might be a better solution and i think FIGS needs a few weeks lead time to develop these... Not sure if there made to order or not..
Old 06-08-13, 09:12 PM
kamikaze04
Driver

thats really strange.. might have been a defective part from the beginning... If budgets allows the FIGS might be a better solution and i think FIGS needs a few weeks lead time to develop these... Not sure if there made to order or not..
Yea exactly. I also thought that it was a defective part. But it's too late now, the bushings are gone. I sent figs a message requesting some more info on the two parts. Hopefully I will be able to get my car back up and running.
Old 06-09-13, 11:39 AM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get these:
Caster Arm Spherical Bearings. Lube them and never have to replace the arms again.
The following users liked this post:
BayAreaLex (05-09-20)
Old 06-09-13, 06:11 PM
kamikaze04
Driver

Originally Posted by TI II
Get these:
Caster Arm Spherical Bearings. Lube them and never have to replace the arms again.
I contacted figs and mike told me that those spherical will have noise, vibration, and harshness. The typical lifespan is between 50-60k. So that is making me leaning more towards the figs polyurethane. Do you have the spherical bearings on your car?
Old 06-09-13, 06:28 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

you may just want to stick with the 2003 to 2005 caster arms.. supposedly these were made with TRD equivalent bushings.. and much stronger than 98 to 2002
Old 06-09-13, 06:47 PM
kamikaze04
Driver

you may just want to stick with the 2003 to 2005 caster arms.. supposedly these were made with TRD equivalent bushings.. and much stronger than 98 to 2002
I have a 04
Old 06-09-13, 06:52 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that happen to you... I have an 03 and installed new OEM caster arms from Sewell and they feel great. Made my front end feel firmer.

Had them on for over 2months btw.
Old 06-09-13, 07:31 PM
kamikaze04
Driver

Originally Posted by GSdarksol
Sorry to hear that happen to you... I have an 03 and installed new OEM caster arms from Sewell and they feel great. Made my front end feel firmer.

Had them on for over 2months btw.
Yea on my 1st day, my car felt great. But after day two, I started to hear a violent clunking sound even when I am in parked. This sucks and I hope that this does not happen to anybody else. And I did my research too before purchasing the bushings from Sewell. But like I said in the beginning of my post, I am going to go for the FIGS. Still debating on the spherical bearings. I might just bite the bullet and make the purchase. In the meantime, I am going to be riding my motorcycle
Old 06-09-13, 08:01 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Yea on my 1st day, my car felt great. But after day two, I started to hear a violent clunking sound even when I am in parked. This sucks and I hope that this does not happen to anybody else. And I did my research too before purchasing the bushings from Sewell. But like I said in the beginning of my post, I am going to go for the FIGS. Still debating on the spherical bearings. I might just bite the bullet and make the purchase. In the meantime, I am going to be riding my motorcycle
There is absolutely no way that those Sewell poly bushings fatigued in only two days. Are you suggesting that they catastrophically failed (i.e. split)?

I'd be very interested to see how they look when you remove them. Unless you can show a catastrophic failure (which would be obvious), then something else might be the culprit of your clunking.

Last edited by BayAreaLex; 06-09-13 at 08:05 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 08:59 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can understand, if this happened to me, I would get the figs one too. GL on the next set and hope it will be issue free for u...

Did u just buy the bushing or the complete arm with it?
Old 06-19-13, 06:22 PM
416tt
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey kamikaze04,

sorry to hear what happened with your bushings.. I actually had a thread up debating between the same things pretty much (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...k-bushing.html)

Then I just ended up making an order for the Daizen, but the real question is wether to go with poly or spherical.. I would have gone with figs poly but they dont have them for SC430 yet and I needed them asap. To be honest Metal ones might not be the best idea as that would only suit a car for track, hard suspension and racing parts. I actually messaged Figs also and Mike replied saying that the sphericals need periodical spraying also. Any how, im not sure if you have changed any other bushings on the front end, but you cannot get metal ones for the rest of the control arms so I suggest you stick with poly for all as these cars are heavy and need atleast some cushion. (not sure if your trying to have comfort or sport feel) ... Nothing lasts forever but ya I would go with the poly's ! just my thoughts! have you changed anything else regarding suspension?

anyhow,

Goodluck

Quick Reply: Sewell caster arm bushing failed, thinking about getting the FIGS