Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Changing the Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-13, 12:12 PM
carlosL250
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing the Brakes

Hi I drive a 2008 is250 awd and i recently went in for an oil change and they mechanic told me that my front brakes needs to be changed. I'm car illerate so when he said that, does he mean brake pads, or the entire brake (rotors)? Also how much should i be expecting to pay? How much are parts and where should i get them? I'm a college student and there's a club on campus for car enthuist and they said they can perform labor for free, really anything for them to get their hands on a car.

Thank you in advance for all the help!
Old 06-20-13, 12:16 PM
vapid2323
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...S250-2008.html

Setup an account with your CL username and you will get an discount. I wouldn't think that they need to replace the rotors, just the pads should be fine.
Old 06-20-13, 08:43 PM
Asianpoet
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake pads need replacing. Also the rotors should be turned if needed. Unless they are past the recomended spec
Old 06-20-13, 11:04 PM
panda08
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Asianpoet
Brake pads need replacing. Also the rotors should be turned if needed. Unless they are past the recomended spec
I think the 2IS rotors are not turnable.
Old 06-21-13, 04:20 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by panda08
I think the 2IS rotors are not turnable.
Incorrect sir...they are absolutely turnable, it is just that most don't need it...

OP, you should search the suspension and brakes section and you will find all the information you can handle about brakes and brake service...lol
Old 06-21-13, 06:09 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Originally Posted by vapid2323
http://is.sewellparts.com/accessorie...S250-2008.html

Setup an account with your CL username and you will get an discount. I wouldn't think that they need to replace the rotors, just the pads should be fine.
Thank you for all the help! Do I need to buy both the front fitting kit as well?
Old 06-21-13, 07:03 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by carlosL250
Thank you for all the help! Do I need to buy both the front fitting kit as well?
Nope, you just need to replace the brake pads...you re-use the hardware kit that is already on the car
Old 06-21-13, 07:10 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Originally Posted by quick123
Nope, you just need to replace the brake pads...you re-use the hardware kit that is already on the car
ok great, now how much can i expect for labor? i dont want to overpay. Also how many miles do brakes usually last for?
Old 06-21-13, 07:14 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

so what is the difference between http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._116848_16108_ and the ones on sewell?
Old 06-21-13, 08:19 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

ok great, now how much can i expect for labor? i dont want to overpay. Also how many miles do brakes usually last for?
Expect to pay about $50 or so to just install pads and about $100 to turn rotors if needed...here at my dealer we charge $129 for installing pads and turning rotors. Mileage on brake pads is different from driver to driver...completely subjective, but if you are getting less than 30k on a set of pads you are riding the brakes

so what is the difference between http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._116848_16108_ and the ones on sewell?
Those are low quality pads that will squeak like crazy...you drive a Lexus, don't cheap out on pads as it is not worth it. Go with factory and you will be fine.
Old 06-21-13, 08:29 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Expect to pay about $50 or so to just install pads and about $100 to turn rotors if needed...here at my dealer we charge $129 for installing pads and turning rotors. Mileage on brake pads is different from driver to driver...completely subjective, but if you are getting less than 30k on a set of pads you are riding the brakes

Those are low quality pads that will squeak like crazy...you drive a Lexus, don't cheap out on pads as it is not worth it. Go with factory and you will be fine.
Thanks you're right i should go with the better pads, What does turning the rotor and riding the breaks mean?
Old 06-21-13, 09:10 AM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks you're right i should go with the better pads, What does turning the rotor and riding the breaks mean?
Turning the rotor is the same thing as machining or resurfacing...means you take the rotor off the car and put it on a brake lathe, then shave a very small amount off the face of the rotor to provide a smooth surface for the new pad.

Riding the brakes means over-using the brakes, example is driving with 2 feet and putting pressure on the brakes when it is not neccessary.
Old 06-21-13, 10:55 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

Turning the rotor is the same thing as machining or resurfacing...means you take the rotor off the car and put it on a brake lathe, then shave a very small amount off the face of the rotor to provide a smooth surface for the new pad.

Riding the brakes means over-using the brakes, example is driving with 2 feet and putting pressure on the brakes when it is not neccessary.
Hmm interesting, i def dont ride my brakes, but turning the brakes seems like a good idea, but how i know whether I need it or not? and usually how many miles do people go before turning the rotors?

Thanks for all your advice by the way, very informative and interesting.
Old 06-21-13, 12:57 PM
quick123
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm interesting, i def dont ride my brakes, but turning the brakes seems like a good idea, but how i know whether I need it or not? and usually how many miles do people go before turning the rotors?

Thanks for all your advice by the way, very informative and interesting.
We recommend resurfacing the rotors when replacing the pads...there are a lot of people out there that will argue that, but in the service world you will run into more issues with vibration and squeaking brakes if it is not done...plus those of us that have actually used a brake lathe before know that you are only taking fractions of a mm off when doing so.

Read through this...it is a wealth of information:

http://www.scirocco.org/faq/brakes/p...n/pfpage1.html
Old 07-15-13, 08:13 AM
carlosL250
Rookie

So i went to the dealers and they are saying that I need new brakes because I'm riding on 2mm, he also said that my rear calipers are frozen..? Is that even possible? Also i'm thinking about buying brake pads on amazon because they come in a set of 4 for front and rear, can anyone recommend any?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...tomotive%2C224

Quick Reply: Changing the Brakes