Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear Upper Control Arms

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 02:20 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Upper Control Arms

I've been looking to replace the SC rear upper control arms, but I couldn't find any aftermarket that's made either for the SC or Supra MK4. I'd like to replace the worn out ball joint, so replacing the bushings alone is just half upgrade/fix. The ball joints are built in, not pressed in, so there's no way to press them out and press in the new ones. I looked at Megan Racing and Battle Version, but they don't have any rubber nor polyurethane for insulation.

Does anyone know any source other than Megan Racing and Battle Version? Or any tip to replace the ball joint?
Old 07-18-13, 03:14 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

I asked this same question and no one really answered, instead they just gave smart *** remarks.

aside from Megan and battle version all I was able to find was an ebay gold colored brand, apparently they are good for the price ($200)

Im not sure what the bushings are made out of though

im pretty sure there are many aftermarket bushing kits that you can buy for the upper control arms
Old 07-18-13, 04:34 PM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
I asked this same question and no one really answered, instead they just gave smart *** remarks.
Lol. I see a lot of bushings available, but I also need new ball joints. I guess it's not easily available.

I've also been looking to fabricate a custom control arm by using the separate ball joint with bracket from other cars, and if they can fit into the SC knuckle. That ball joint's bracket can have at least 2 or 3 holes for bolts. I can then chop the SC ball joint section off the control arm, make an adapter bracket to fit with the new ball joints bracket.

Once I can find that ball joint on the bracket, the fabrication is easy. I think other cars like the LS, Highlander have that separate ball joint on the removable bracket. However, they don't have a straight angle, so I haven't tried to test fit with the SC knuckle.
Old 07-18-13, 05:43 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Your best option is Ikeya Formula. I believe its the only control arm that uses actual bushings.

I believe Battle version is spherical bearings and Megan racing doesn't produce the UCA.

The "gold ebay brand" is TC sportline if you want to look into it. I don't have any experience with their product, so I have no comment on them.
Old 07-29-13, 09:55 PM
jgdynamics
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

TC SPORTLINE is located somewhere in INDUSTRY,CA. I remember a member here was using the TCS rear uppers and his only complaint was the locking nut coming loose every now and then. I figure a bit of blue loctite should solve the problem. Also, i would assume the ball joint they use is not heavy duty and could possibly wear out quickly. Maybe look into finding stronger replacements like battle version did.
Old 07-30-13, 10:42 AM
stevechumo
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for your inputs, guys. I looked at TC Sportline and I don't like the balljoints on it. I'd prefer the OEM style baljoints that are covered & protected from dust, dirt, mud, or whatever. Any moving parts that aren't protected won't last long. I just bought a good set of used control arms and prothane bushing kits. I'll probably go this route.

I removed the rear upper control arms before, but I had to lower the subframe, which is a pain. Is there a way to remove the arms without lowering the subframe?