Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

KW v3 installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 09:04 AM
erichb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KW v3 installation

I know that the KW v3 install requires use of the stock upper strut mounts, with modifications to the fronts.

Has anyone bought new OEM strut top mounts or aftermarket ones so that the stock suspension can just swap out and KWs swap in?

If so, did you use OEM or aftermarket? I can find KYB and Moog front strut mounting kits, but the only rears I find in aftermarket is rear "lower" strut mounts. Are these what are needed on the KWs? Do the fronts even include everything I'd need to make the KWs complete bolt-ons without disassembling the stock assembly?

If OEM, what part #s are needed?

Thanks anyone that has some insight!
Old 08-02-13, 11:33 AM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rear: http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2008.html

Front: http://is.sewellparts.com/oem-catalo...S250-2008.html

Old 08-02-13, 11:46 AM
erichb
Driver School Candidate

I looked there, I'm asking for people that have done this installation about which parts are necessary and if there's an aftermarket equivalent.
Old 08-02-13, 02:16 PM
An2ny
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, my bad… I was just trying to help; hopefully someone here will give you better information.

By the way, I have done this installation.
Those other top hats/ strut mounts are the only ones that may be available; however I do not see any benefit on using them as they are the same style as the OEM ones. If you want solid pillow ball’s mounts you could get some custom made, as I do not know of any company making those, or contact other shock companies like Buddy Club/ Megan to see if they are compatible with the KWs and maybe you can use those.

The parts that you need are in the KW V3 installation manual, if you don’t have it, you can find it online here: http://www.kw-store.com/products/kw-...it-v3-153.html they have the PDFs in that page, just make sure that you pick the correct car/application.

I understand that you already looked there…but the OEM parts are listed there, that is why I posted the link…and what you need is in the instruction manual for the KWs that I posted above, but you probably looked there already. So I do not have any other information, hopefully someone will reply soon with what you need, but I do not think that too many people have these KWs here. Good luck with the installation.
Old 08-02-13, 02:19 PM
erichb
Driver School Candidate

I'm ok using another set of OEM parts.. I don't recall seeing the part numbers in the installation instructions and the diagram you gave had a lot of pieces.. I wasn't sure which all of the pieces I needed.

I don't want pillow ball and the only reason I was looking aftermarket was for a "complete kit" and/or price. I.e. the KYBs are $60 and I don't wanna pay $300 for a set of OEMs.. if that's what it ended up with.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-03-13, 11:18 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey erichb, I did the Kw v3 install yesterday and boy I tell you what, its a pain, the upper front mounts don't fit the kw upper mount that is purple, so i end up not using the purple peace and went directly on the stock upper mount, its working fine till I find a solution to the matter.The rears upper mounts worked fine but not the fronts.

I hear that the 98 supra front upper mounts work find but just remember..

All the upper mounts on the sc center has to be drilled out to fit the threading so it can go in.

Im talking about the sc300, not sure if its the same

Last edited by mikef; 08-03-13 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-06-13, 04:58 PM
erichb
Driver School Candidate

mikef, this is for an is350. i know that i have to modify the front mounts to make them fit...
Old 08-07-13, 04:44 AM
iRyan
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think someone did a DIY on this but for some reason I can't find it. If I do i will PM you the link. It's still crazy to me that $2800 coils don't come with everything needed
Old 08-07-13, 08:13 AM
erichb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iRyan
I think someone did a DIY on this but for some reason I can't find it. If I do i will PM you the link. It's still crazy to me that $2800 coils don't come with everything needed
excellent, if you find it let me know! thanks!